VoIP functionality in Nokia N95 disabled ==

Old April 19th 07, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti Spam Bloke

Default VoIP functionality in Nokia N95 disabled ==

REPORTS HAVE reached the INQ that two of the UK's mobile network operators -
Orange & Vodafone - have disabled the Internet telephony option inside the
latest N95 cameraphone.
A spokesman for Orange confirmed to the INQ that his company had indeed
requested that Nokia shouldn't preload the Internet telephony capability.

He claimed that the move wasn't deliberately aimed at stopping Internet
telephony, rather that there hadn't been sufficient time to test the
application thoroughly.

"It is not Orange's policy to remove VoIP functionality from devices. This a
handset specific issue and in this particular instance Orange was asked by
Nokia whether they wanted the VoIP functionality switched on or off, and
Orange selected off."

"We're always working to ensure the customer has the right experience," he
maintained. He couldn't confirm whether the facility has been turned off
with the Nokia E65 but it is available with the E60.

James Tagg, a spokesperson for VoIP client software supplier, Truphone, told
the INQ, "Clearly this is deeply irritating for people who've often paid a
large sum of money for a highly-specified phone that they've carefully
chosen. Particularly if mobile internet telephony was one of the buying
criteria."

The crucial point is whether or not customers have not been told at point of
sale about the removal of internet telephony capability.

Various Internet forums are ablaze with postings on this issue. For those
who want VoIP on their N95, the solution is to flash a completely different
version of the handset's operating system.

Of course, if you tried such a trick and failed, then you'd have a
completely useless but expensive handset on your hands. µ

Old April 19th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

wrote:
[...]

It must be said that some of these journalists are a bit slow - did
they source it off each other, or did some read it here when I posted
it 3 days ago?

Old April 24th 07, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alister

On 19 Apr, 20:51, andy wrote:
On Apr 19, 1:15 pm, "Anti Spam Bloke"
wrote:

snip

It must be said that some of these journalists are a bit slow - did
they source it off each other, or did some read it here when I posted
it 3 days ago?

I have just had the pleasure of trying to set up an N95 on VOIP.
The phone was originally bought by my boss from Vodaphone, and as
reported it came with the
Internet calls feature removed. As my boss is not one to take this
sort of restriction quietly, he now has
a Nokia N95 which has the Internet calls facility fully restored, at
which point it was handed to me to make it
work with the company's trixbox.

I have had partial success, the Nokia will work fine on internal calls
between extensions, but up to now it
refuses to work correctly on PSTN calls through the trixbox. The main
symptoms are a loss of voice
transmission and call control from the Nokia, which leads me to
suspect that there is an issue with the codecs
it is using. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way of altering
which codecs the phone uses.

Throughout the fiddling about trying to set the phone up, I have to
say that its software is not very stable yet.

I suffered frequent crashes whilst navigating the various menus, even
settings which had nothing to do with
VOIP. It reminded me very much of all that is bad about the older
microsoft operating systems.

The firmware used is from Nokia themselves, as Vodaphone apparently
refused to remove or alter their limited version.

I find it annoying that a company should be allowed to limit
functionality on a product which they do not manufacture
simply to force users to be tied to their own services.

Alister.

Old April 24th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Alister wrote:

I have just had the pleasure of trying to set up an N95 on VOIP.
The phone was originally bought by my boss from Vodaphone, and as
reported it came with the
Internet calls feature removed. As my boss is not one to take this
sort of restriction quietly, he now has
a Nokia N95 which has the Internet calls facility fully restored, at
which point it was handed to me to make it
work with the company's trixbox.

A colleague of mine asked how to set up his Nokia with Trixbox. The howto I
pointed him at contained something like 20 screenshots over four pages.
With my tin-foil hat on, I get the sneaking suspicion that Nokia's biggest
customers don't want SIP to work.

I have had partial success, the Nokia will work fine on internal calls
between extensions, but up to now it
refuses to work correctly on PSTN calls through the trixbox.

Type 'asterisk -rc' and look at 'help sip debug'.

The main symptoms are a loss of voice transmission and call control from
the Nokia, which leads me to suspect that there is an issue with the
codecs it is using.

The call won't even start if the various SIP peers can't negotiate a codec.
The call control is usually in plain text on port 5060, the actual voice
streams are RTP on whatever ports it wants to use. Ethereal/Wireshark has
some good VoIP-related tools in; you can install tcpdump on your Trixbox,
and scp the output to wherever you've got Ethereal running, to peruse at
your leisure. That is of course, if you can't get 'sip debug' to show you
want you want to see.

Throughout the fiddling about trying to set the phone up, I have to
say that its software is not very stable yet.

I suffered frequent crashes whilst navigating the various menus, even
settings which had nothing to do with
VOIP. It reminded me very much of all that is bad about the older
microsoft operating systems.

The firmware used is from Nokia themselves, as Vodaphone apparently
refused to remove or alter their limited version.

Are there any third party softphones you can install? Given the horror
stories I've heard about Nokia's SIP clients, I would be surprised if there
wasn't a market for one that works.

I find it annoying that a company should be allowed to limit
functionality on a product which they do not manufacture
simply to force users to be tied to their own services.

I don't have a problem with them modifying the phone as they see fit, with
the proviso that they give a complete and unabridged list of what they've
broken on the handset *before* you hand over the readies.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:05:19 up 10 days, 20:24, 2 users, load average: 0.44, 0.34, 0.28

Old April 25th 07, 05:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:00:31 +0100, Jon
wrote:

declared for all the world to hear...
I find it annoying that a company should be allowed to limit
functionality on a product which they do not manufacture
simply to force users to be tied to their own services.

In that case then may I suggest in future you purchase all of your
mobiles SIM free and at full cost, and you will avoid such restrictions.

Thus your boss' N95 would have cost upwards of £700 rather than the
figure actually paid which suspect would be substantially lower than
£700.

Do they really sell them for £700 in the UK?

I just bought a new SIM free N95 in Hong Kong for HK$6,850. That's
about £435.

Chris
Old April 27th 07, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
declared for all the world to hear...
I find it annoying that a company should be allowed to limit
functionality on a product which they do not manufacture
simply to force users to be tied to their own services.

In that case then may I suggest in future you purchase all of your
mobiles SIM free and at full cost, and you will avoid such restrictions.

Thus your boss' N95 would have cost upwards of £700 rather than the
figure actually paid which suspect would be substantially lower than
£700.
--
Regards
Jon

I know this post is a bit dated....
http://shop.nokia.co.uk/invt/0027025
nokia sell directly for 549..
this would put a big shops selling cost probably around 450-480..
companys dont (99.9% of the time) tell you when your lock'd into a phone,
but no features of a phone should ever be restricted unless the phone itself
is rebranded or gets a new unit type.

you do have to "select" your network when buying phones but I doubt you'll
find much fine print saying "it's carrier lock'd"

Old April 29th 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon Farmer

Jon wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. It's ok for those of us who are tech-
savvy and know what VoIP is and how it works, but what about the average
Joe in the street who sees "internet call" on his phone and wonders what
it does, and carries on using it over GPRS/3G and runs up a massive data
bill?

A couple of my colleagues have N95 phones and I managed to have a quick
look at them. My opinion is that for the average punter it is going to
be very complicated to get it to do VoIP over WiFi notwithstanding the
first step maybe being to get the firmware flashed.

I currently have a T-COM GSM/Wifi phone on eval which as a breeze to
setup on both my general SIP service and hosted centrex service.
Unfortunately the phone is pretty basic in other areas which many people
see as important such as no 3g and basic camera. Also the SIP stack is
pretty basic and doesn't seem to light the MWI when sent a NOTIFY.

I expect that in the months/years to come the support for VoIP over WiFi
will improve and the main issue will be the networks seeking to restrict
its use.

Regards

Jon