Old September 5th 20, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

Default UK drops down broadband speed rankings

On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 21:37:42 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 04/09/2020 13:13, David wrote:
So 10 Gig plus on all interfaces and no contention. Yeah, right.

It doesn't matter. And I don't see speed as the limit anyway.

I've got 70Mbps. It's enough for most things - the only thing I do often
that takes much time is downloading a 70MB firmware image from work. and
that's not exactly painful.

I could upgrade (BT are offering me gigabit, I have a fibre) but what's
the point? It would save me 10 seconds a few dozen times a day.

What I can't do is run a machine here truly on the work network because
the _latency_ is too big. We have a shared compilation system
(Icecream), and that just wouldn't work properly with a ping of 10ms or
so.

Andy

I don't expect or need that kind of speed (at least at the moment).
My complaint is that the illustrations are technically impossible and
raise false expectations.

For example I have a 200 Mb/sec VM link yet a lot of streaming sites have
the occasional spooling pause. Despite a speed test showing that the link
is running at or near 200 Mb/sec.

So saying "at this speed you could download a film in 10 seconds" is
vastly misleading and sets unrealistic expectations.

Cheers

Dave R