Verizon VoiceWing

Old April 19th 07, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
Adrian

Default Verizon VoiceWing

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of using Verizon's VoIP service
outside the US?

In the light of Vonage's troubles, I am looking at alternative
providers. I am particularly concerned that my US numbers should
function during periods when I am in the UK.

Thanks

Adrian

Old April 20th 07, 02:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
Ivor Jones

"Adrian" wrote in message
oups.com
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of using Verizon's VoIP
service outside the US?

In the light of Vonage's troubles, I am looking at
alternative providers. I am particularly concerned that
my US numbers should function during periods when I am in
the UK.

As long as the ISP you're using doesn't block any required ports, I can't
see any reason it shouldn't work.

Ivor

Old April 20th 07, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
Adrian

On Apr 19, 5:30 pm, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

oups.com

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of using Verizon's VoIP
service outside the US?

In the light of Vonage's troubles, I am looking at
alternative providers. I am particularly concerned that
my US numbers should function during periods when I am in
the UK.

As long as the ISP you're using doesn't block any required ports, I can't
see any reason it shouldn't work.

Ivor

Thank you for your input Ivor. Your comments are appreciated.
Technically I am sure you are correct.

The issue that concerns me is as follows: As part of their contract,
Verizon insist that whenever the ATA is moved, the user needs to logon
and change the physical address for emergency 911 dialing purposes.
If they cannot handle 911 calls at the new location Verizon reserve
the right to terminate service. Clearly they cannot handle emergency
calls if the ATA is in the UK.

Now, one could just ignore this requirement. But, I am sure Verizon
can determine where the ATA is connected to the internet by the ISP's
IP address. So they question is, do they check? And, do they really
care?

The foregoing explains why I am looking for someone with actual
experience of utilizing VoiceWing outside the US.

Adrian

Old April 20th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
fugettaboutit

"Adrian" wrote in message

[...]

I have Verizon Voicewing. During my divorce, I lived in another city
over 100 miles away. I used a totally different ISP where I was staying.
All I did was confirm that I was still at the old address once I arrived
at my temporary location. Yes, this is cheating and would be problematic
for 911 service, however, I was in an extraordinary circumstance and had
many other options available that I would have used for an emergency.
Old April 20th 07, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
Adrian

On Apr 20, 1:04 pm, fugettaboutit wrote:
Adrian wrote:
On Apr 19, 5:30 pm, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

groups.com

[...]

many other options available that I would have used for an emergency.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know. I have UK numbers
to summon emergency help in the UK!

Adrian