Trying out WiFi

Old April 20th 07, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

Default Trying out WiFi

Now have laptop with WiFi and am wondering where I can try this out.

Is there a web site out there somewhere that lists the various places in
the country where WiFi 'free' zones are available (apart from airports)?

--
Maurice Batey
(Retired in Surrey, UK)

Old April 20th 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Now have laptop with WiFi and am wondering where I can try this out.
Is there a web site out there somewhere that lists the various places in
the country where WiFi 'free' zones are available (apart from airports)?

Legally ? Perhaps see if you have a local coffee shop with free wifi.

Otherwise, driving down any residential street with Netstumbler
running in the background will almost certainly find a few...

More worryingly, many industrialised areas are often wide open.

Otherwise, try these - you might have somewhere local with it:

http://www.fon.com/en/
http://www.thecloud.net/content/pdf/...07-02-07_1.pdf
Old April 20th 07, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

"Maurice Batey" wrote in message
news
Now have laptop with WiFi and am wondering where I can try this out.

Is there a web site out there somewhere that lists the various places in
the country where WiFi 'free' zones are available (apart from airports)?

--
Maurice Batey
(Retired in Surrey, UK)

park out side your local pcworld. They should know better but my local pc
world has an unsecured network

regards
adam

Old April 20th 07, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

park out side your local pcworld. They should know better but my local pc
world has an unsecured network

PMSL
Old April 21st 07, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trust No One®

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...cs/6565079.stm

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old April 21st 07, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Maurice Batey wrote:

Now have laptop with WiFi and am wondering where I can try this out.

Is there a web site out there somewhere that lists the various places in
the country where WiFi 'free' zones are available (apart from airports)?

consume.net, not sure how accurate it is any more, however.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:38:09 up 7 days, 16:57, 2 users, load average: 1.29, 0.89, 0.54

Old April 21st 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Mark wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:49:48 +0100, Maurice Batey
wrote:

Now have laptop with WiFi and am wondering where I can try this out.

Is there a web site out there somewhere that lists the various places in
the country where WiFi 'free' zones are available (apart from airports)?

IME the one place wifi generally isn't free is at airports.

Last time I was at Newcastle airport, the pay-for WiFi only blocked HTTP(S)
traffic until you bought a voucher. AIM, MSN, SSH et al worked fine.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:38:38 up 7 days, 16:57, 2 users, load average: 0.78, 0.81, 0.52

Old April 21st 07, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Owain" wrote in message

Maurice Batey wrote:
Now have laptop with WiFi and am wondering where I can
try this out.

Your local library?

Not here. They have free access using their computers, but no wi-fi.

Ivor

Old April 21st 07, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"dylan30" wrote in message

"Maurice Batey" wrote in
message
news
Now have laptop with WiFi and am wondering where I can
try this out. Is there a web site out there somewhere that lists the
various places in the country where WiFi 'free' zones
are available (apart from airports)? --
Maurice Batey
(Retired in Surrey, UK)

park out side your local pcworld. They should know better
but my local pc world has an unsecured network

You haven't been reading the papers or watching the news lately then..?

Ivor

Old April 21st 07, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

but my local pc world has an unsecured network
You haven't been reading the papers or watching the news lately then..?

It'd be interesting if you happened to sit outside doing something
benign (non-network related) outside one of these places, and if
Windows happened to decide it was time to download updats for itself,
it's not necessarily within the control of the user if they were
unaware it was doing this.

Sounds like a good defence to me anyway - particularly if you're one
of the poor sods who's still on dialup at home, and needs to get quite
a few !