Telephone cable

Old April 20th 07, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

Default Telephone cable

Knowing that there a re a few BT guys hanging around in here and loads
of other knowledgeable types, I need to run an external telephone
extension, it must be overhead and it must be self supporting, the
length is approximately 25mtrs, which is less than the cable run from
the pole. Can I buy, beg or scrounge the same cable or similar that BT
use from pole to premises and the wall hardware from anywhere? Should I
hijack a BT/openreach van or just make a nuisance of myself to the next
BT person I see in an open cabinet/hole in the ground? Are there any
tips or hints that would make my life easier running this cable?
--
Clint Sharp
Old April 20th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Clint Sharp wrote:
Knowing that there a re a few BT guys hanging around in here and
loads of other knowledgeable types, I need to run an external
telephone extension, it must be overhead and it must be self
supporting, the length is approximately 25mtrs, which is less than
the cable run from the pole. Can I buy, beg or scrounge the same
cable or similar that BT use from pole to premises and the wall
hardware from anywhere? Should I hijack a BT/openreach van or just
make a nuisance of myself to the next BT person I see in an open
cabinet/hole in the ground? Are there any tips or hints that would
make my life easier running this cable?

Copious amounts of tea & coffee & possibly the odd bacon butty would
go a long way into scrounging what you want...

Old April 20th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 20-Apr-2007, "kraftee" wrote:

Are there any tips or hints that would
make my life easier running this cable?

Copper cable stretches, and slowly sags,
you need what is called dropwire.

Old April 20th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , kraftee
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
Knowing that there a re a few BT guys hanging around in here and
loads of other knowledgeable types, I need to run an external
telephone extension, it must be overhead and it must be self
supporting, the length is approximately 25mtrs, which is less than
the cable run from the pole. Can I buy, beg or scrounge the same
cable or similar that BT use from pole to premises and the wall
hardware from anywhere? Should I hijack a BT/openreach van or just
make a nuisance of myself to the next BT person I see in an open
cabinet/hole in the ground? Are there any tips or hints that would
make my life easier running this cable?

Copious amounts of tea & coffee & possibly the odd bacon butty would
go a long way into scrounging what you want...

Hmmm, choccy hob-nobs work well too... but it's a bit weird driving
around with a flask of tea, portable grill n fridge on the off chance
that I run into a BT bod hanging out of a wiring cab..
--
Clint Sharp
Old April 23rd 07, 03:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , kraftee
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
[...]

Well, just shave your legs, bang on some lippy. a short skirt & maybe a
cheap wig & you'll soon find youurself a short-sighted BT engineer who'll be
only too pleased to slip you a length of hard drawn.

HTH

Joe Lee

Clint Sharp

Old April 23rd 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Joe Lee
writes
Well, just shave your legs, bang on some lippy. a short skirt & maybe a
cheap wig & you'll soon find youurself a short-sighted BT engineer who'll be
only too pleased to slip you a length of hard drawn.

Are you the guy who's been ringing me up at all hours? Only that's
exactly what he wants me to do as well. If it is you Joe, quit it, the
missus is getting jealous.

HTH

Joe Lee

I've found the cable I want, it's surprisingly cheap so there'll be no
leg shaving around here, at least no more than usual although I'm making
no promises about the lipstick. I just need to find the hardware to
fasten the cable and will come back to beg a little advice on how to use
the fixings when I find them (think I'm looking for 'pigtails'?, Easy
Joe...)

Clint Sharp

--
Clint Sharp
Old April 23rd 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Joe Lee
writes
Well, just shave your legs, bang on some lippy. a short skirt & maybe a
cheap wig & you'll soon find youurself a short-sighted BT engineer who'll
be
only too pleased to slip you a length of hard drawn.

Are you the guy who's been ringing me up at all hours? Only that's exactly
what he wants me to do as well. If it is you Joe, quit it, the missus is
getting jealous.

Hee hee... Just surprised that you're still accepting transfer charge calls.
but anyway'''

As it's only 25mtrs away, why not save the hassle of putting up an
(unsightly) overhead & use a cordless phone instead ?

If you also need internet access then maybe a wireless router ?

snip

joe Lee

Clint Sharp

Old April 24th 07, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Joe Lee
writes
As it's only 25mtrs away, why not save the hassle of putting up an
(unsightly) overhead & use a cordless phone instead ?

Because it's only a phone line in the sense that it's POTS, it's going
to have a fax on it, unless they have cordless fax machines?

Old April 28th 07, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Joe Lee wrote:
[...]

Or even get some PET & spade it in. After a couple of days you won't
even know it was there & it won't give the birds anywhere to sit &
sh*t from either, which could make her indoors happier..

Don't be tempted to bury any other cables as those will rot over
time..