Moving from one broadband ISP to another.

Old April 21st 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Default Moving from one broadband ISP to another.

noman wrote:

What do I need to ask the ISP I am leaving for?

You need a MAC.

Beware that if your existing ISP has provisioned you on an LLU broadband circuit
(local loop unbundled as opposed to BT) your choice of new ISP is likely to be
slightly restricted. You quite possible won't even know about this as your phone
service itself (unless you aranged otherwise) will be unaffected and still be
with BT. Not all ISPs are able to accept LLU MACS. The situation may be
improving though.

Graham

Old April 21st 07, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Eeyore wrote:
noman wrote:

What do I need to ask the ISP I am leaving for?

You need a MAC.

Beware that if your existing ISP has provisioned you on an LLU broadband circuit
(local loop unbundled as opposed to BT) your choice of new ISP is likely to be
slightly restricted. You quite possible won't even know about this as your phone
service itself (unless you aranged otherwise) will be unaffected and still be
with BT. Not all ISPs are able to accept LLU MACS. The situation may be
improving though.

ISPs are required to accept MACs if they are valid/correct, regardless
of whether they are BTwholesale or non-BTwholesale LLU.

They may charge you for the migration, as BTwholesale charge a full
activation fee for such a migration (non BTwholesale LLU to
BTwholesale), but they cannot reject your order on this basis.
Old April 21st 07, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Paul Cupis wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
noman wrote:

What do I need to ask the ISP I am leaving for?

You need a MAC.

Beware that if your existing ISP has provisioned you on an LLU broadband circuit
(local loop unbundled as opposed to BT) your choice of new ISP is likely to be
slightly restricted. You quite possible won't even know about this as your phone
service itself (unless you aranged otherwise) will be unaffected and still be
with BT. Not all ISPs are able to accept LLU MACS. The situation may be
improving though.

ISPs are required to accept MACs if they are valid/correct, regardless
of whether they are BTwholesale or non-BTwholesale LLU.

Then it must have recently changed.

They may charge you for the migration, as BTwholesale charge a full
activation fee for such a migration (non BTwholesale LLU to
BTwholesale), but they cannot reject your order on this basis.

So in effect it's no better at least financially than the previous cease and reprovide
path then.

Look for an ISP that accepts LLU MACs without an accompanying extra charge. They do
exist but tend to be the better ones.

Graham

Old April 21st 07, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Eeyore wrote:
Paul Cupis wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
You need a MAC.

Beware that if your existing ISP has provisioned you on an LLU broadband circuit
(local loop unbundled as opposed to BT) your choice of new ISP is likely to be
slightly restricted. You quite possible won't even know about this as your phone
service itself (unless you aranged otherwise) will be unaffected and still be
with BT. Not all ISPs are able to accept LLU MACS. The situation may be
improving though.

ISPs are required to accept MACs if they are valid/correct, regardless
of whether they are BTwholesale or non-BTwholesale LLU.

Then it must have recently changed.

14th February Ofcom introduced new mandatory regulations for broadband
migrations.

They may charge you for the migration, as BTwholesale charge a full
activation fee for such a migration (non BTwholesale LLU to
BTwholesale), but they cannot reject your order on this basis.

So in effect it's no better at least financially than the previous cease and reprovide
path then.

Correct. It is much smoother, though, as the changeover takes hours
rather than 17+ days.

Look for an ISP that accepts LLU MACs without an accompanying extra charge. They do
exist but tend to be the better ones.

You may also find that ISPs still offering free activation will be
willing to do a free migration from non-BTwholesale LLU even if their
websites do not say the same.
Old April 21st 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Eeyore wrote:
Paul Cupis wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
[...]

UkOnline told me they could not give me a MAC for my LLU line. Sky, to
whom I wished to move, insisted they needed a MAC. UkOnline took 5 weeks
to unbundle the LLU.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old April 21st 07, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

dave @ stejonda wrote:
UkOnline told me they could not give me a MAC for my LLU line. Sky, to
whom I wished to move, insisted they needed a MAC. UkOnline took 5 weeks
to unbundle the LLU.

The only time that a MAC cannot be given/used is when the line is fully
unbundled (i.e. both voice and DSL directed connected to a non-BT
operators equipment at the exchange).
Old April 21st 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Paul Cupis
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:
UkOnline told me they could not give me a MAC for my LLU line. Sky,
to whom I wished to move, insisted they needed a MAC. UkOnline took 5
weeks to unbundle the LLU.

The only time that a MAC cannot be given/used is when the line is fully
unbundled (i.e. both voice and DSL directed connected to a non-BT
operators equipment at the exchange).

UkOnline's LLU did not affect the voice side of the line. I continued
(continue) to pay BT for my line rental, have Primus CPS and use an
Orchid v4 to direct calls to various other call providers as per the
latest thoughts in uk.telecom.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old April 21st 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Paul Cupis
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:
UkOnline told me they could not give me a MAC for my LLU line. Sky,
to whom I wished to move, insisted they needed a MAC. UkOnline took
5 weeks to unbundle the LLU.

The only time that a MAC cannot be given/used is when the line is
fully unbundled (i.e. both voice and DSL directed connected to a
non-BT operators equipment at the exchange).

UkOnline's LLU did not affect the voice side of the line. I continued
(continue) to pay BT for my line rental, have Primus CPS and use an
Orchid v4 to direct calls to various other call providers as per the
latest thoughts in uk.telecom.

On the basis of what you've said, either:

* this happened a while ago before non-BTwholesale LLU to BTwholesale
migrations were supported
* UKOnline lied to you
* the person at UKOnline you dealt with didn't know what they were
talking about.
Old April 21st 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SimonB

Paul Cupis wrote:

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Paul Cupis
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:
[...]

Ironic too, since Sky own UKOnline
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/sk...broadband.html

--
Simon
Old April 21st 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Paul Cupis
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Paul Cupis
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:
UkOnline told me they could not give me a MAC for my LLU line. Sky,
to whom I wished to move, insisted they needed a MAC. UkOnline took
5 weeks to unbundle the LLU.

The only time that a MAC cannot be given/used is when the line is
fully unbundled (i.e. both voice and DSL directed connected to a
non-BT operators equipment at the exchange).

UkOnline's LLU did not affect the voice side of the line. I
continued (continue) to pay BT for my line rental, have Primus CPS
and use an Orchid v4 to direct calls to various other call providers
as per the latest thoughts in uk.telecom.

On the basis of what you've said, either:

* this happened a while ago before non-BTwholesale LLU to BTwholesale
migrations were supported

My line finally became unbundled two days ago according to Sam Knows' BB
availability checker at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

* UKOnline lied to you

When I originally contacted UkOnline, they cancelled my direct debit but
failed to start the process of unbundling. They told me they could not
issue a MAC. When I chased them up 3 weeks ago they admitted their error
and finally requested BT unbundle the line. They again told me they were
unable to issue a MAC.

* the person at UKOnline you dealt with didn't know what they were
talking about.

UkOnline's telephone support bods were always very pleasant, helpful and
knowledgeable over the 2 years I was with them. I was surprised that
they fscked up over the unbundling. Are you sure they're wrong over the
MAC?

--
dave @ stejonda