PPPoE works, PPPoA doesn't.. ?

Old April 21st 07, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnK

Default PPPoE works, PPPoA doesn't.. ?

Hi, I'm a UK ADSL consumer and my Netgear router dropped my ADSL
connection one evening recently. It wouldn't re-connect until I re-ran
the Setup Wizard.
I was confused to see that it re-connected using PPPoE/
LLC instead of PPPoA/VC. My ISP is bemused and offers advice like
'switch off the router for 30 minutes' (to no avail).
It won't connect if I change it manually to PPPoA/VC. All other settings
seem fine.

Has anyone seen this before and what did you do?

JohnK
Old April 21st 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

JohnK wrote:
Hi, I'm a UK ADSL consumer and my Netgear router dropped my ADSL
connection one evening recently. It wouldn't re-connect until I re-ran
the Setup Wizard.
I was confused to see that it re-connected using PPPoE/
LLC instead of PPPoA/VC. My ISP is bemused and offers advice like
'switch off the router for 30 minutes' (to no avail).
It won't connect if I change it manually to PPPoA/VC. All other settings
seem fine.

Has anyone seen this before and what did you do?

What ISP are you using? What specific router?

Do you know if you are on BTwholesale equipment or another operators?
What speed/service do you have?

If it is working, is the question academic, or you are trying to "fix" it?
Old April 21st 07, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"JohnK" wrote in message
news
Hi, I'm a UK ADSL consumer and my Netgear router dropped my ADSL
connection one evening recently. It wouldn't re-connect until I
re-ran
the Setup Wizard.
I was confused to see that it re-connected using PPPoE/
LLC instead of PPPoA/VC. My ISP is bemused and offers advice like
'switch off the router for 30 minutes' (to no avail).
It won't connect if I change it manually to PPPoA/VC. All other
settings
seem fine.

Has anyone seen this before and what did you do?

When I was with Wanadoo, I connected with PPPoE/VC
If I remember that far back, I cud connect with PPPoA/VC, but it wud be
a low synch.

Try readin your ISP's help/forum.

Old April 21st 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 21 Apr, 13:23, JohnK wrote:

Has anyone seen this before and what did you do?

Yes, go through all the settings manually, you may well find that VPI
and VCI are set incorrectly. Once these are set as appropriate
(normally 0 and 38) and all the rest (VX Mux, PPPoA) do a reboot of
the system and it should come up OK. Don't use the setup wizard, one
some Netgear models I've set up I have found it seems to detect things
incorrectly as you have found.

Regards

William MacLeod

Old April 22nd 07, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

JohnK wrote:
Hi, I'm a UK ADSL consumer and my Netgear router dropped my ADSL
connection one evening recently. It wouldn't re-connect until I re-ran
the Setup Wizard.
I was confused to see that it re-connected using PPPoE/
LLC instead of PPPoA/VC. My ISP is bemused and offers advice like
'switch off the router for 30 minutes' (to no avail).
It won't connect if I change it manually to PPPoA/VC. All other settings
seem fine.

Has anyone seen this before and what did you do?

JohnK

I had this happen on an aol account a couple of years ago following a speed
upgrade..... very odd,....

Gaz

Old April 22nd 07, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Some time ago BT changed their equipment and now both PPPoA and PPPoE should
work.
Anyone else found that PPPoE works better ?
Regards,
Martin

Old April 22nd 07, 05:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Ferguson

On 2007-04-22, Martin² wrote:
Some time ago BT changed their equipment and now both PPPoA and PPPoE should
work.
Anyone else found that PPPoE works better ?

Define better? PPPoE adds 14 or 16 bytes to every packet sent over
the ADSL circuit, and drops the MTU below Ethernet's 1500 bytes.
Something else would need to be quite a bit better to make up for
this.

Dennis Ferguson
Old April 22nd 07, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Kelly

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:20:28 +0100, Paul Cupis wrote:

What ISP are you using? What specific router?

Do you know if you are on BTwholesale equipment or another operators?
What speed/service do you have?

If it is working, is the question academic, or you are trying to "fix"
it?

Nildram, Netgear Rangemax DG834PN.

Well, since my download speed has deteriorated and my ISP insists I
should be connecting via PPPoA/VC, I'm kind of assuming the two issues
are related.
I'm on an up-to-8MB service and I get a connection speed of 5540kbps, an
IP profile of 1500kbps and a download speed of 1340kbps. I would like a
lot better. I have had consistent 380KBps download speeds in the past
and I have also seen times when I got 450KBps.

I have a BT engineer scheduled for Tuesday. So I'll see what he says.

JohnK
Old April 22nd 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

John Kelly wrote:
I'm on an up-to-8MB service and I get a connection speed of 5540kbps, an
IP profile of 1500kbps and a download speed of 1340kbps. I would like a
lot better. I have had consistent 380KBps download speeds in the past
and I have also seen times when I got 450KBps.

This suggests you are on a BTwholesale-based service. The lower IP
Profile suggests you have had a low sync event. Your speeds are fine
based on this profile.

If you maintain that sync speed for 3 days, the exchange should increase
your IP Profile to around 5000 and your speeds should similarly increase.

Reconfiguring the router to/from PPPoA/PPPoE may well cause the Profile
to remain lower.

Having said that, yes it should work as PPPoA, but PPPoE is still a
valid way of connecting, as BTwholesale support both.
Old April 22nd 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Kelly

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:35:59 -0700, willie wrote:
Yes, go through all the settings manually, you may well find that VPI
and VCI are set incorrectly. Once these are set as appropriate
(normally 0 and 38) and all the rest (VX Mux, PPPoA) do a reboot of the
system and it should come up OK. Don't use the setup wizard, one some
Netgear models I've set up I have found it seems to detect things
incorrectly as you have found.

Regards

William MacLeod

Willie,

I did set it manually to the ISP recommended PPPoA with the correct VPI
and VCI and it failed to connect although it had been connected
previously using these settings. It now only connectS using PPPoE. I
also have a 3com router that I used to use. It still had its PPPoA
settings unchanged since it was replaced with the Netgear. It too failed
to connect till it was set to PPPoE.
I think something is going on at the exchange. But as you can imagine,
it is difficult to get any admission / information.

JohnK