Help with connection to internet (hardware requirement)

Old April 22nd 07, 12:17 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
news.freedom2surf.net

Default Help with connection to internet (hardware requirement)

Hi,

I have just upgraded to Vista from XP and am using a Fujitsu FDX310 USB ADSL
modem to connect to the the internet. I am also dual booting with Ubuntu
7.04 and having used the eciadsl modem driver in Ubuntu before, I have now
decided that this is just too much hassle to get a modem working!

Can anyone please advise what hardware I need to get an internet connection
straight off e.g. booting with cd to install Ubuntu for first time and
getting an internet connection right at the start without having to install
3rd party modem drivers.

The FDX310 driver also does not support Vista and I have read that USB ADSL
modems work poorly in Vista. Is this correct. If so, what should I buy as an
alternative?

Many thanks.

Ian E

Old April 22nd 07, 12:53 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
WhzzKdd

"news.freedom2surf.net" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just upgraded to Vista from XP and am using a Fujitsu FDX310 USB
ADSL modem to connect to the the internet. I am also dual booting with
Ubuntu 7.04 and having used the eciadsl modem driver in Ubuntu before, I
have now decided that this is just too much hassle to get a modem working!

Can anyone please advise what hardware I need to get an internet
connection straight off e.g. booting with cd to install Ubuntu for first
time and getting an internet connection right at the start without having
to install 3rd party modem drivers.

The FDX310 driver also does not support Vista and I have read that USB
ADSL modems work poorly in Vista. Is this correct. If so, what should I
buy as an alternative?

Wouldn't that depend on what your ISP recommends? Get a modem with ethernet
output, and connect it to your NIC in the PC. IME, works right first time,
everytime (if the NIC is configured properly).

Old April 22nd 07, 12:59 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I have just upgraded to Vista from XP and am using a Fujitsu FDX310 USB ADSL
modem to connect to the the internet. I am also dual booting with Ubuntu
7.04 and having used the eciadsl modem driver in Ubuntu before, I have now
decided that this is just too much hassle to get a modem working!

Buy yourself an ADSL Modem Router - prices start at around £25.

As long as the machine has an ethernet connection, you'll be online as
soon as you boot if the router isn't switched off, as they tend to
reconnect automatically if the signal drops out (this can often be set
to manual connection only if required)

They make life _so_ much easier when playing with different OSs' !
Old April 22nd 07, 11:19 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

In news: ,
news.freedom2surf.net wrote on :
Hi,

I have just upgraded to Vista from XP and am using a Fujitsu FDX310
USB ADSL modem to connect to the the internet. I am also dual
booting with Ubuntu
7.04 and having used the eciadsl modem driver in Ubuntu before, I
have now decided that this is just too much hassle to get a modem
working!

Can anyone please advise what hardware I need to get an internet
connection straight off e.g. booting with cd to install Ubuntu for
first time and getting an internet connection right at the start
without having to install 3rd party modem drivers.

The FDX310 driver also does not support Vista and I have read that
USB ADSL modems work poorly in Vista. Is this correct. If so, what
should I buy as an alternative?

Many thanks.

Ian E

ADSL modem router and a good network card with linux-based and vista
drivers.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old April 22nd 07, 11:35 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Hambourg

Hello,

Colin Wilson a écrit :

Buy yourself an ADSL Modem Router - prices start at around £25.

I suppose you're talking about those masquerading SOHO gateways.

They make life _so_ much easier when playing with different OSs' !

Yeah, but on the other hand they make life so much harder when playing
with NAT-unfriendly protocols and applications. Or IPv6. Many SOHO
routers do not support them, while a simple modem is transparent to them
and does not have to care.
Old April 22nd 07, 12:32 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Buy yourself an ADSL Modem Router - prices start at around £25.
I suppose you're talking about those masquerading SOHO gateways.
They make life _so_ much easier when playing with different OSs' !

Yeah, but on the other hand they make life so much harder when playing
with NAT-unfriendly protocols and applications. Or IPv6. Many SOHO
routers do not support them, while a simple modem is transparent to them
and does not have to care.

I bow to your superior knowledge - perhaps you should answer the OP
then.
Old April 22nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Hobley

Joker7 wrote:

ADSL modem router

Make sure it has ethernet connectors. Don't buy a Netgear one (The firmware
may be buggy. I had to reflash mine six times, and the problem was never
fixed). SMC products generally work well, ask in comp.os.linux.hardware before
purchasing to check that your product is supported.

and a good network card with linux-based and vista
drivers.

I use SMC cards, but they are hard to obtain sometimes. Again ask on usenet
before purchasing. Avoid cards which to not output a carrier at power on,
such as some IBM cards.

I tried to jump on Ebay to look at what items to suggest for you, but the
website was down.

Never mind. Have a look later yourself, and check before purchasing.

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
International: 0044 121 247 1596

http://markhobley.yi.org/

Old April 22nd 07, 04:06 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Hambourg

Lurch a écrit :

If it's an ethernet router\modem then I can't see how it can't be
compatible with anything Linux based with an ethernet port.

One can imagine a router with a web-based configuration interface
requiring a specific browser or components not available on all
GNU/Linux systems, e.g. MSIE, ActiveX, Flash... Or a proprietary
configuration interface requiring a client software not available on all
GNU/Linux systems.
Old April 22nd 07, 04:12 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:06:19 +0200, Pascal Hambourg
mused:

Lurch a écrit :

If it's an ethernet router\modem then I can't see how it can't be
compatible with anything Linux based with an ethernet port.

One can imagine a router with a web-based configuration interface
requiring a specific browser or components not available on all
GNU/Linux systems, e.g. MSIE, ActiveX, Flash... Or a proprietary
configuration interface requiring a client software not available on all
GNU/Linux systems.

Suppose, not come across anything that doesn't work with common
browsers yet.

Once it's configured though, it should work as per the OP requested,
over ethernet from a Live CD, as you won't need to enter configuration
pages of a router once it's set up to get it to 'just work'.
--
Regards,
Stuart.