Sky BB - Sorry if been asked before but can't find it on Google.....

Old April 22nd 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Bradbury

Default Sky BB - Sorry if been asked before but can't find it on Google.....

.......can you use any other router to connect to Sky Broadband other than
the supplied one they send. If so, what do I need to do to configure it, or
is it just simply plug and play?

Old April 22nd 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"Tom Bradbury" wrote in message
......can you use any other router to connect to Sky Broadband other than
the supplied one they send. If so, what do I need to do to configure it,
or is it just simply plug and play?

You need to initially use the sky router to extract your username/password
and then you can use any you like.

Old April 22nd 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

......can you use any other router to connect to Sky Broadband other than the
supplied one they send. If so, what do I need to do to configure it, or is
it just simply plug and play?

There's a stack of useful info here -

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

Old April 22nd 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:20:28 GMT, "Tom Bradbury"
mused:

......can you use any other router to connect to Sky Broadband other than
the supplied one they send. If so, what do I need to do to configure it, or
is it just simply plug and play?

It's in the t's&c's that you use the router they supply. Why would you
want to use a different one? There's nothing wrong with the one they
send.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old April 22nd 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

......can you use any other router to connect to Sky Broadband other than
the supplied one they send. If so, what do I need to do to configure it, or
is it just simply plug and play?

As others have said about the username and password - however I
believe it's against the T&Cs to do so (as is flashing it with the
latest firmware)

The supplied router doesn't seem too bad to be fair, although it has a
couple of minor quirks - UPnP is supposed to be a little unstable, so
switching it off is rumoured to help, and the line stats can sometimes
"stick" at 7.5dB and 15.1dB, irrespective of the true line conditions
at the time.

Having said that, i'm not that keen on the port forwarding setup, but
it's easy enough to do - it's just that my old router was easier (all
done in a single line, as against setting it up as a service, then a
seperate page to tell it which internal IP to send it to)
Old April 22nd 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
[...]

i use a sky branded router with vivacity (reflashed firmware). much more
stable than my dlink 604-t.

Old April 22nd 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:55:32 +0100, Jon
mused:

declared for all the world to hear...
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:20:28 GMT, "Tom Bradbury"
mused:

......can you use any other router to connect to Sky Broadband other than
the supplied one they send. If so, what do I need to do to configure it, or
is it just simply plug and play?

It's in the t's&c's that you use the router they supply. Why would you
want to use a different one? There's nothing wrong with the one they
send.

Lack of VPN endpoint support would be an issue for me. Lack of built in
VoIP. There are many reasons.

As I've already pointed out, I know of reasons why anyone might not
want to use the DG834GT. I was asking what particular reason the OP
had for not wanting to use it.

Not that I've used the DG834GT for VPN's, but I thought it did support
VPN endpoints?
--
Regards,
Stuart.