Mobile broadband package? - help please

Old April 22nd 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hilary

Default Mobile broadband package? - help please

I have found that t-mobile and vodaphone both do a similar service via
either card or usb connection to the laptop.

Are there any more providers ? Can anyone recommend a service? I would be
very grateful for any pointers in the right direction. I've been googling
until I'm blue in the face and cant find any others.

Its for when we are travelling in the motorhome so no landline connection
available. And also need a provider that has good coverage in Scotland.

Thanks in advance.

)

Old April 23rd 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dieseldes

"Hilary" wrote in message
I have found that t-mobile and vodaphone both do a similar service via
either card or usb connection to the laptop.

Are there any more providers ? Can anyone recommend a service? I would
be very grateful for any pointers in the right direction. I've been
googling until I'm blue in the face and cant find any others.

Its for when we are travelling in the motorhome so no landline connection
available. And also need a provider that has good coverage in Scotland.

Well that rules out T-mobile then!

I live and travel around Scotland, and use Orange, N70 + bluetooth to
laptop, it gives me a reliable (not quick unless in 3G area) connection,
Orange has good coverage in Scotland.
I have a work Voda and have an payg O2 fitted in the car and TBH there is
nothing to choose between them in regards to coverage, in one area Orange
works and none of the others and in another the complete reverse! I pay £4 a
month for 4Mb, not a lot, but if used carefully (no updates!!) email and a
bit of surfing I hav not exceeded my allowance for being away up to a week
in a month.
Best connection travelling on the M6 in a 3G area in the back of minibus
as a passenger bored to tears!! Surfed for over an hour (untill the battery
went flat).Seemed almost as fast as at home......
Des

Old April 23rd 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Dieseldes wrote:

I have found that t-mobile and vodaphone both do a similar service via
either card or usb connection to the laptop.

Are there any more providers ?

I live and travel around Scotland, and use Orange, N70 + bluetooth to
laptop, it gives me a reliable (not quick unless in 3G area) connection,
Orange has good coverage in Scotland.
I have a work Voda and have an payg O2 fitted in the car and TBH there is
nothing to choose between them in regards to coverage, in one area Orange
works and none of the others and in another the complete reverse! I pay £4 a
month for 4Mb, not a lot, but if used carefully (no updates!!) email and a
bit of surfing I hav not exceeded my allowance for being away up to a week
in a month.

I was looking in to a mobile alternative to a presently unreliable
landline connection and find the mobile companies prohibitively expensive.

T-Mobile advertise one service as UNLIMITED data download, then you read
the fair use policy and this UNLIMITED use actually means you are
limited to 3GB per month; unless I am reading it wrong.

Geoff Lane
Old April 24th 07, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hilary

"Dieseldes" wrote in message

Well that rules out T-mobile then!

I live and travel around Scotland, and use Orange, N70 + bluetooth to
laptop, it gives me a reliable (not quick unless in 3G area) connection,
Orange has good coverage in Scotland.

Hi and thanks for posting,

T-mobile coverage is not good then? So that leaves vodaphone then which
seems to have better coverage in Scotland.

I'm surprised you say that Orange is good in Scotland? We have 3 mobile
phones between us (2 orange 1 vodaphone) admittedly all payg but weve found
the coverage on most caravan club campsites (out in the sticks mainly) are
at best patchy and generally unuseable. Newcastleton was very patchy last
month, no service at all from the forestry commision Arochar site, we pick
it up again on both phones just over the Rest and be thankful corner.

Are you mainly centred around built up areas? We will probably be going
between Carlisle, Border, Kircubright to coast and Dunfries areas mainly.

)

Old April 24th 07, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hilary

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I was looking in to a mobile alternative to a presently unreliable
landline connection and find the mobile companies prohibitively expensive.

T-Mobile advertise one service as UNLIMITED data download, then you read
the fair use policy and this UNLIMITED use actually means you are limited
to 3GB per month; unless I am reading it wrong.

I think both t-mobile and vodaphone have a fair use policy. T-mobile say the
first time you abuse it you get a wrist slap warning letter with advice on
reducing usage. I think its a 3 strike and you're out system but whether
they can actually boot you off and still charge till the end of the year I
would doubt. From what I gather with most isps they monitor you and if its
regular over use then you get the warnings. I would think most people would
go over limit occasionally?

We are paying £25 to demon which isnt capped at all. To be honest if we
hadnt been moving I would have swapped to a much cheaper service but most
expect a years sign up. So £29 quoted isnt too bad ( better than none -
scary thought) especially as we can save on mobile phone calls to family
members by using messenger.

I'm not sure the 3 GB is going to be much of a problem to us as we dont do
huge down/uploads. What ever we sign up for we are going to get stuck with
for a year, which is more annoying. If I buy my own card/modem I dont see
why I cant sign up for 3 months but I doubt they'd budge.

Demon do a service to laptop via blackberry but pricewise I think it works
out much the same monthly.

Thanks for posting. If I find anything better I'll let you know.

)

Old April 24th 07, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Hilary wrote:
"Dieseldes" wrote in message

[...]

You can check out coverage for yourself on the networks' sites.
http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk
http://maps.vodafone.co.uk/coveragev...b/default.aspx
http://coverage.orange.co.uk
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/personal/p...verage/landing

Dumfries and Galloway has a pretty big coverage hole in the
hilly areas, which of course are the ones you'd most want to
visit. Don't expect much 3G, though the PCN networks might
do better here.
Old April 24th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hilary

"JW" wrote in message

You can check out coverage for yourself on the networks' sites.
http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk
http://maps.vodafone.co.uk/coveragev...b/default.aspx
http://coverage.orange.co.uk
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/personal/p...verage/landing

Dumfries and Galloway has a pretty big coverage hole in the hilly areas,
which of course are the ones you'd most want to visit. Don't expect much
3G, though the PCN networks might do better here.

Thank you. This will save me a lot of time searching.

)