Hiding the SSID ??

Old April 23rd 07, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default Hiding the SSID ??

Sky Netgear router.

I decided to hide my SSID from being broadcast but then when I rebooted I
could not connect - Vista could not see my router. Okay that makes sense
because it is effectively hiding. But I expected my PC to retain my router
settings and know that it is there.

How can I hide the SSID but still connect please?

Old April 23rd 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Beck" wrote in message
Sky Netgear router.

I decided to hide my SSID from being broadcast but then when I rebooted I
could not connect - Vista could not see my router. Okay that makes sense
because it is effectively hiding. But I expected my PC to retain my
router settings and know that it is there.

How can I hide the SSID but still connect please?

Some combinations of wireless cards and routers do not like the SSID being
hidden. My Belkin router and a Netgear USB stick do not like having the SSID
hidden, whereas my Linksys and the same Netgear USB stick works correctly
with the SSID hidden.

Old April 23rd 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"ABC" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
Sky Netgear router.

I decided to hide my SSID from being broadcast but then when I rebooted I
could not connect - Vista could not see my router. Okay that makes sense
because it is effectively hiding. But I expected my PC to retain my
router settings and know that it is there.

How can I hide the SSID but still connect please?

Some combinations of wireless cards and routers do not like the SSID being
hidden. My Belkin router and a Netgear USB stick do not like having the
SSID hidden, whereas my Linksys and the same Netgear USB stick works
correctly with the SSID hidden.

Thanks for the information. It might be that my built in wifi card (intel)
just does not like it. Its no bother, I will just unhide it :-)

Old April 23rd 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Beck wrote:
: Sky Netgear router.

: I decided to hide my SSID from being broadcast but then when I rebooted I

: How can I hide the SSID but still connect please?

Assuming that Vista has inherited the Microsoft "Wireless Zero" code from
Windows XP then you have may have hit one of its "features"! If *ANOTHER*
access point is within range and this second one IS broadcasting its SSID
then the Wireless Zero code may not connect to the hidden-SSID (even if
it in the "preferred networks" list).
Old April 23rd 07, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JamesB

"Beck" wrote in message
Sky Netgear router.

I decided to hide my SSID from being broadcast but then when I rebooted I
could not connect - Vista could not see my router. Okay that makes sense
because it is effectively hiding. But I expected my PC to retain my
router settings and know that it is there.

How can I hide the SSID but still connect please?

TBH, Hiding the SSID is a Bad Thing.

I have had problems recently where my wireless goes wank (tech term). No
amount of rebooting etc, solves it, but if I change the channel, it works a
treat. All is fine for a few weeks, then it goes wrong again. I can then
change the channel back to original and it works. Now, I've run netstumbler
and all the neighbours are playing on 6 and 11 (I generally switch between 2
and 3) so my conclusion is that someone perhaps has a hidden network and
periodically changes the channel for some reason, thus cocking up my
connection.

Of course, it could be something else, but the above is a possibility.
Now that wireless is becoming more and more common, it makes sense to make
your network visible (albeit protected of course) so other people nearby can
pick a channel that won't interfere.

Just my 2c worth...

Old April 24th 07, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Resident Drunk

Beck wrote:
Sky Netgear router.

I decided to hide my SSID from being broadcast but then when I rebooted
I could not connect - Vista could not see my router. Okay that makes
sense because it is effectively hiding. But I expected my PC to retain
my router settings and know that it is there.

How can I hide the SSID but still connect please?

You are turning into a right geek you know.

Are you using zero config or the manufacturers software to connect?
Old April 24th 07, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

I had that EXACT problem with windows vista - I'm sorry i can't
remember exactly where it is, but there is a setting in the wireless
config within vista, that says something like "connect all the time",
or "connect when there is no signal". It sounds a bit vague but when
spotted, you can tell that it means 'connect when the SSID isn't
broadcasting'. If you can't find it, give me an email and I'll
screenshot it for you when I get back home to my vista box.

Cheers
Steve.

Old April 24th 07, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Resident Drunk" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
Sky Netgear router.

I decided to hide my SSID from being broadcast but then when I rebooted I
could not connect - Vista could not see my router. Okay that makes sense
because it is effectively hiding. But I expected my PC to retain my
router settings and know that it is there.

How can I hide the SSID but still connect please?

You are turning into a right geek you know.

*sobs*

Are you using zero config or the manufacturers software to connect?

Just using the router cpanel as normal