PlusNet peer to peer

« Ping: Lenny | SDSL »

Old April 23rd 07, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

Default PlusNet peer to peer

Hi Group,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether PlusNet block peer to peer traffic on
the Broadband Plus Accounts ?

TIA

Joe Lee

Old April 24th 07, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Homer

"Joe Lee" [email protected] wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone knows whether PlusNet block peer to peer traffic
on the Broadband Plus Accounts ?

I had Broadband Premier with them and they didn't actually block it, they
just limited it to 0.1KB/s when they felt like it then would claim nothing
was wrong their end. Moving ISP fixed eveything.
If you use P2P keep clear of Plusnet.

Old April 24th 07, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Homer" wrote in message
"Joe Lee" [email protected] wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone knows whether PlusNet block peer to peer traffic
on the Broadband Plus Accounts ?

I had Broadband Premier with them and they didn't actually block it, they
just limited it to 0.1KB/s when they felt like it then would claim nothing
was wrong their end. Moving ISP fixed eveything.
If you use P2P keep clear of Plusnet.

Thanks Homer.

I'm an ex-PlusNet customer as it happens (& got the scare to prove it), just
asking here on behalf of a friend.

Joe Lee

Old April 24th 07, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mand Beckett

Joe Lee wrote:
"Homer" wrote in message
"Joe Lee" [email protected] wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone knows whether PlusNet block peer to peer traffic
on the Broadband Plus Accounts ?

I had Broadband Premier with them and they didn't actually block it, they
just limited it to 0.1KB/s when they felt like it then would claim nothing
was wrong their end. Moving ISP fixed eveything.
If you use P2P keep clear of Plusnet.

Thanks Homer.

I'm an ex-PlusNet customer as it happens (& got the scare to prove it), just
asking here on behalf of a friend.

Joe Lee

Hi there,

During peak times P2P on Plus will be slow, if it works at all. This is
due to the way we prioritise traffic at peak times (P2P/Usenet on Plus
has the lowest rating so will suffer when the network is particularly
busy). Off peak the experience will be significantly better as there is
more bandwidth to go round.

--
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old April 24th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Off peak the experience will be significantly better as there is
more bandwidth to go round.

--
|Mand Beckett Broadband Solutions for
|Comms Home & Business @
|PlusNet PLC www.plus.net
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

You mean it will be twice as good 0.2KB/s

Old April 24th 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

I'd bet Plusnet has the least amount of bandwidth available per customer
than any other ISP, which is why they use traffic shaping more than any
other ISP. I have absolutely not one good word to say about the company

Dan

Old April 25th 07, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Dan" wrote in message
I'd bet Plusnet has the least amount of bandwidth available per customer
than any other ISP, which is why they use traffic shaping more than any
other ISP. I have absolutely not one good word to say about the company

Pipex are very poor at peak time as well.

Dan

Old April 25th 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekBaker

* WCZ:
"Dan" wrote in message
I'd bet Plusnet has the least amount of bandwidth available per customer
than any other ISP, which is why they use traffic shaping more than any
other ISP. I have absolutely not one good word to say about the company

Pipex are very poor at peak time as well.

Dan

I migrated to Vivaciti (an Entanet reseller) yesterday and am getting
6Mbps+ on speedtests right now. In a bit of an Alice-in-wonderland
situation off-peak speeds are much lower, got 2Mbps just before
midnight. Everyone waits until 10pm so they don't use their peak usage
too quickly.

--
Derek
Old April 26th 07, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Confused

Hi there,

During peak times P2P on Plus will be slow, if it works at all. This is
due to the way we prioritise traffic at peak times (P2P/Usenet on Plus has
the lowest rating so will suffer when the network is particularly busy).
Off peak the experience will be significantly better as there is more
bandwidth to go round.

--
|Mand Beckett Broadband Solutions for
|Comms Home & Business @
|PlusNet PLC www.plus.net
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

That must be the understatement of the year! It has been stated on dozens of
occasions that Plus is not suitable for P2P (even though the product details
only claim it is unsuitable for sustained usage but OK for occasional use)
and that good speeds at any time of the day will be poor on Plus. This is
what was stated recently:
That suggests to me that Usenet & P2P speeds will always be poor on BB+ as
is the design of the product.
_________________
Kind regards, James Bailey
http://portal.plus.net/central/forum...+slow#413 093

I really don't understand this fascination with spin that you all at PlusNet
seem to have. The fact is that P2P is hopeless on Plus and even Premier
because that is how you have changed the products over time. Now you want to
people to move over to BBYW by comparing it to the older packages but not
acknowledging that the comparison is invalid since those packages have been
changed tin time for the launch of the new ones and to show the new packages
in a better light. Truth is that the older packages were very different when
people signed up to them.

Old April 26th 07, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Confused

"Joe Lee" [email protected] wrote in message
Hi Group,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether PlusNet block peer to peer traffic
on the Broadband Plus Accounts ?

TIA

Joe Lee

It might not be blocked but it might as well be with the speeds you are
likely to see. Best advice is to look at Newnet who offer 3GB for 12.95 (I
think) and buy an extra GB if needed. Unlike PlusNet they won't tell you
what you can do or how you can use your allowances. There are some other
good ISPs around too that will deliver similar levels.