Possibly a bit off topic, but could someone help please?

Old April 24th 07, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike K

Default Possibly a bit off topic, but could someone help please?

For a few weeks now I've been having a problem with my computer
connecting to the Internet all by itself without me asking it to do
anything in particular. If the computer is turned on, it seems to
randomly connect by itself.

I'm using WinXP with SP2 and have AVG anti virus, Windows Defender,
Zone Alarm firewall and regularly scan the machine with Ad Aware SE
and Spybot Search & Destroy.

All of the above programs are updated daily and report that my
computer is "clean" save for a few tracking cookies which I remove
daily

I've tried searching the Windows help file for assistance but without
success. If someone could point me in the direction of a solution, I'd
be very grateful indeed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Mike K

--

If you really want to Email me, then use stardancer69 at gmail dot com

Old April 24th 07, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Herber

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:36:42 +0100, Mike K wrote:

For a few weeks now I've been having a problem with my computer
connecting to the Internet all by itself without me asking it to do
anything in particular. If the computer is turned on, it seems to
randomly connect by itself.

I'm using WinXP with SP2 and have AVG anti virus, Windows Defender,
Zone Alarm firewall and regularly scan the machine with Ad Aware SE
and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Check that ZA, AVG and Windows Update aren't set to auto check for
updates.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd
http://www.electronic_chip_packages.sandrila.co.uk/
Old April 24th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:36:42 +0100, Mike K mused:

For a few weeks now I've been having a problem with my computer
connecting to the Internet all by itself without me asking it to do
anything in particular. If the computer is turned on, it seems to
randomly connect by itself.

Something is probably auto-updating.

Are you on dial-up? If not just let it connect and leave it to do it's
stuff.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old April 24th 07, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 24-Apr-2007, Lurch wrote:

For a few weeks now I've been having a problem with my computer
connecting to the Internet all by itself without me asking it to do
anything in particular. If the computer is turned on, it seems to
randomly connect by itself.

You don't say if it's trying to make a broadband ADSL connection,
or a PSTN dialup connection.

What does Start, then Connect To show?
Does it list one or more possible connections?
Old April 25th 07, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Herber

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:08:49 +0100, Paul Herber
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:36:42 +0100, Mike K wrote:

For a few weeks now I've been having a problem with my computer
connecting to the Internet all by itself without me asking it to do
anything in particular. If the computer is turned on, it seems to
randomly connect by itself.

I'm using WinXP with SP2 and have AVG anti virus, Windows Defender,
Zone Alarm firewall and regularly scan the machine with Ad Aware SE
and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Check that ZA, AVG and Windows Update aren't set to auto check for
updates.

Also, assuming you have ZA to alert and ask you to confirm any new
program accessing your connection, you could remove all programs from
its list and see what asks for access.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
DFD for Visio http://www.gane-sarson.sandrila.co.uk/
Old April 25th 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Mike K" wrote in message

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:51:47 GMT,
wrote:

On 24-Apr-2007, Lurch
wrote:

For a few weeks now I've been having a problem with
my computer connecting to the Internet all by
itself without me asking it to do anything in
particular. If the computer is turned on, it seems
to randomly connect by itself.

You don't say if it's trying to make a broadband ADSL
connection, or a PSTN dialup connection.

Broadband, and it doesn't just try, it succeeds in
connecting.

What does Start, then Connect To show?

Just connect to my ISP
Does it list one or more possible connections?

Thanks to all who replied. I've stopped all programs auto
updating, but the problem still persists. {:-(

This is really bugging me and I'd like to resolve the
issue if I can.

If it's broadband, why are you trying to stop it connecting..? My system
is connected 24/7, saves a lot of time when you want to do a quick lookup
on a website or send a quick email.

The whole point of Broadband is that it is an "always on" technology.

If your question is "What programs generate internet traffic without
explicit actions by me?" then you need a network monitoring tool ...

--
Graham J

Old April 25th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On 24-Apr-2007, Lurch wrote:

For a few weeks now I've been having a problem with my computer
connecting to the Internet all by itself without me asking it to do
anything in particular. If the computer is turned on, it seems to
randomly connect by itself.

You don't say if it's trying to make a broadband ADSL connection,
or a PSTN dialup connection.

Broadband, and it doesn't just try, it succeeds in connecting.

What does Start, then Connect To show?

Just connect to my ISP
Does it list one or more possible connections?

Thanks to all who replied. I've stopped all programs auto updating,
but the problem still persists. {:-(

This is really bugging me and I'd like to resolve the issue if I can.

Windows includes a time synchronisation service. Under Date & Time
Properties Internet Time, if you have Automatically synchronize
ticked, then there will be intermittent traffic at varying intervals.

If you want to scare yourself, try "netstat -a -n" at a command prompt.
It lists any active connections. An entry like "UDP 0.0.0.0:123" will be
the time synchronisation service. Without the "-n", the command will
list IP addresses after a DNS lookup (for which it will connect!).

--
Tony