1and1 web forwarding?

Old April 24th 07, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

Default 1and1 web forwarding?

"Michael Klontzas" wrote in message
Can someone with 1and1 domain hosting experience please answer this
simple question -- for some reason, all 4 responses from their support
people miss the point completely. I am now convinced they don't read the
support queries properly before they reply.

I set up mydomain.com to point to my_isp_webspace.com without frames and
expected that, like other domain hosts I am familiar with, they would
replace any request for www.mydomain.com/any_file_or_folder with
www.my_isp_webspace.com/any_file_or_folder. Instead, any such request is
forwarded to the root folder only, i.e. to this specific URL:
www.my_isp_webspace.com When I enquire they either give me an irrelevant
answer or they claim that's how it is supposed to work and I simply can't
believe it. If this was true, their forwarding would be unusable.

Any ideas?

That is the normal behaviour for web forwarding with almost all providers of
web forwarding.
I think what you really want is proper addressing of the pages.
You would need to have proper web hosting for the domain to do that.

To explain how forwarding works.
If you do it without frames this normally tells the server to send a 301
redirect to the single web page set in the forwarding system.
If you do it with frames it will make a single web page which is a frame
containing whichever page you want to redirect to.

--

Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

Old April 24th 07, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Michael Klontzas" wrote in message

Let me get that straight. Are you saying a web page cannot link to, and a
user cannot go directly to, say, www.mydomain.com/info.html unless I buy
proper web hosting?

Thats the case with almost all forwarding services.

How is the free forwarding even remotely useful then
if it redirects all requests to the root directory? If what you are
saying is true, it seems I'll keep my other domains with 123-reg.co.uk
for a long time, and transfer my domains from 1and1 accordingly since
123-reg.co.uk seem to offer free forwarding that actually works.

Do they forward to individual pages with the correct masked addresses?
They didn't the last time I used them but maybe they changed.
Thats a very resource intensive way of doing it which is why hardly anyone
does it that way.

And that 'whichever page you want to redirect to' is a single, specific
page, right?

Single page yes.
If you wanted it to go to sperate ones you would need to use something like
mod_rewrite which might bog things down.

Web forwarding is not the correct way to connect a domain name to space on a
web server.
Thats the fundamental problem you are dealing with and without the owner of
the server cooperating then you can't really do it properly.

Old April 24th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:22:51 +0100, Gordon Hudson wrote:

That is the normal behaviour for web forwarding with almost all providers
of
web forwarding.
I think what you really want is proper addressing of the pages.
You would need to have proper web hosting for the domain to do that.

Let me get that straight. Are you saying a web page cannot link to, and a
user cannot go directly to, say, www.mydomain.com/info.html unless I buy
proper web hosting? How is the free forwarding even remotely useful then
if it redirects all requests to the root directory? If what you are
saying is true, it seems I'll keep my other domains with 123-reg.co.uk
for a long time, and transfer my domains from 1and1 accordingly since
123-reg.co.uk seem to offer free forwarding that actually works.

Well, with freeparking.co.uk the web forwarding works (for me) like this;
If you browse to www.mydomain.co.uk it'll forward to whatever address (or
IP) that you like. It also does URL masking so the address bar will still
show www.mydomain.co.uk.
If you browse to www.mydomain.co.uk/stuff.htm directly, then the address
isn't masked but shows the forwarded address and the /stuff.htm at the end
(e.g. www.freeserve.mylogin.co.uk/stuff.htm ).