3hs too long for email?

Old April 24th 07, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekBaker

Default 3hs too long for email?

Migrated to a new ISP today (Entanet via Vivaciti, from Eclipse)

The test emails I sent myself plus one from a friend took some 3 hours
to arrive.

Is this unreasonable?

Thanks

--
Derek
Old April 24th 07, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"DerekBaker" wrote in message
Migrated to a new ISP today (Entanet via Vivaciti, from Eclipse)

The test emails I sent myself plus one from a friend took some 3 hours to
arrive.

Is this unreasonable?

Definitely. It should take a couple of minutes at most for an email to make
the round trip if you send it via the SMTP server of the ISP whose POP
server you are reading from.

Usually, if you send an email to yourself and do a Send/Receive from Outlook
Express, the email gets sends but isn't received. But if you do another S/R
as soon as the first one has finished, the email will be there.

It may be that the ISP was having an off-day with their servers, but if you
find the same thing day after day then they've got BIG problems. Email that
takes 3 hours to arrive is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Old April 24th 07, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekBaker

[...]

Thanks. You're the second person on the 'net to use the term 'as a
chocolate teapot' today.

--
Derek
Old April 24th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekBaker

[...]

Back to, what I hope is, normal. Message to self returned almost
immediately. Looks like I coincidently joined during a bad patch.

--
Derek
Old April 24th 07, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

DerekBaker wrote:

Migrated to a new ISP today (Entanet via Vivaciti, from Eclipse)

The test emails I sent myself plus one from a friend took some 3 hours
to arrive.

Is this unreasonable?

In the case of some ISP's (Plusnet perhaps for example) it might be considered
miraculous.

Graham

Old April 24th 07, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TrentSC

Migrated to a new ISP today (Entanet via Vivaciti, from Eclipse)

The test emails I sent myself plus one from a friend took some 3 hours to
arrive.

Is this unreasonable?

Yes, but without seeing the headers it's difficult to apportion blame to any
one quarter. Why don't you copy the headers and paste them into the site
http://www.levinecentral.com/mail_parse/default.aspx and you'll get a clear
picture of where the delays actually occurred.

Old April 25th 07, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Herber

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:48:31 +0100, DerekBaker
wrote:

Thanks. You're the second person on the 'net to use the term 'as a
chocolate teapot' today.

In the winter we use chocolate fireguards as well.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Old April 25th 07, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message
[...]

email over the Internet is so unreliable that the ISPs run timeouts in days
not minutes.
It can take several days for some emails to be delivered.
Most take a few seconds.
If you need speed and reliability you run your own mail server so you can
avoid the ISPs and any intermediate hops they may have.

Old April 25th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

[email protected] wrote:
email over the Internet is so unreliable that the ISPs run timeouts in days
not minutes.
It can take several days for some emails to be delivered.
Most take a few seconds.

That says something of the speed of email, but not of the reliability.
Old April 25th 07, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
[email protected] wrote:
email over the Internet is so unreliable that the ISPs run timeouts in
days not minutes.
It can take several days for some emails to be delivered.
Most take a few seconds.

That says something of the speed of email, but not of the reliability.

It says a lot about reliability.
It says you can't rely solely on email for anything that needs to be quick.