Router and a UPS

Old April 25th 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Default Router and a UPS

"Rob" wrote in message

Hi, sorry if this is a daft question but...

I was thinking of investing in a UPS for my home setup.

How or what is the best way of connecting a router
[speedtouch st585] to a UPS? The UPS I've been looking
at [APC models] have kettle type patch leads for the
power, while the router has a block transformer thing.

Easy, do what I do. Cut the 13A plug off a 4-way extension strip and wire
it to an IEC plug.

Ivor

Old April 25th 07, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:32:06 UTC, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message

Hi, sorry if this is a daft question but...

I was thinking of investing in a UPS for my home setup.

How or what is the best way of connecting a router
[speedtouch st585] to a UPS? The UPS I've been looking
at [APC models] have kettle type patch leads for the
power, while the router has a block transformer thing.

Easy, do what I do. Cut the 13A plug off a 4-way extension strip and wire
it to an IEC plug.

Many IEC plugs have inadequate cable anchorage and fiddly terminals of
the 'wrap wire round screw, tighten and hope' variety.

It's easier to get a cable with moulded IEC plug and bare ends (which is
what I do), or cut the socket off an IEC-to-IEC cable. Then wire that
into a socket strip.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 25th 07, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

[snip]

Many IEC plugs have inadequate cable anchorage and fiddly
terminals of the 'wrap wire round screw, tighten and
hope' variety.

It's easier to get a cable with moulded IEC plug and bare
ends (which is what I do), or cut the socket off an
IEC-to-IEC cable. Then wire that into a socket strip.

True enough I suppose, but never had any problems here.

Ivor