Ping Peter Crosland

Old April 26th 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Default Ping Peter Crosland

I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies interfere
with the ADSL signal.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance too.

Graham

Old April 26th 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in message
I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies
interfere
with the ADSL signal.

They don't.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance too.

Its a dielectric so it effects the impedence of the tracks, etc.

Old April 26th 07, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Eeyore wrote:
I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies
interfere with the ADSL signal.

I have not said that. What I have said, inter alia, is that the components
of any part of a telephone installation can have an effect on the
performance of the ADSL line.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance
too.

I have not commented on this but obviously the dielectric of a PCB can
affect the performance of the circuit attached to it. At the sort of
frequencies involved in an ADSL the effect would be minimal.

Peter Crosland

Old April 26th 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"[email protected]" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies
interfere with the ADSL signal.

They don't.

I know.

Peter Crosland thinks they do though. He posted as much saying that's why 'high
quality' filters are important.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance too.

Its a dielectric so it effects the impedence of the tracks, etc.

Not to any measurable or relevant degree at ADSL frequencies. I'll check the
relative dielectric constants just out of interest actually since you mention
it.

Graham

Old April 26th 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Peter Crosland wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies
interfere with the ADSL signal.

I have not said that.

Oh yes you did you big fibber !

What I have said, inter alia, is that the components of any part of a
telephone installation can have an effect on the performance of the ADSL line.

Now explain in technical terms how the filter affects the ADSL signal.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance
too.

I have not commented on this

Yes you did.

but obviously the dielectric of a PCB can affect the performance of the
circuit attached to it. At the sort of frequencies involved in an ADSL the
effect would be minimal.

How about ***NIL*** ??

Graham

Old April 26th 07, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Eeyore wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies
interfere with the ADSL signal.

I have not said that.

Oh yes you did you big fibber !

What I have said, inter alia, is that the components of any part of a
telephone installation can have an effect on the performance of the
ADSL line.

Now explain in technical terms how the filter affects the ADSL signal.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance
too.

I have not commented on this

Yes you did.

but obviously the dielectric of a PCB can affect the performance of
the circuit attached to it. At the sort of frequencies involved in
an ADSL the effect would be minimal.

How about ***NIL*** ??

Graham

Please provide the quotes to substantiate your allegations

Peter Crosland

Old April 26th 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clark

"Eeyore" wrote in message
I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies
interfere
with the ADSL signal.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance too.

Graham

You're best putting him in the kill filter, a global one! He tends to just
repost what he finds in Google without understanding it. That's why he
thinks he is such an expert in everything. Ask a detailed question on
something posted and you don't get a reply.
It's the same in most newsgroups. Anyone can quote something, not everyone
quoting knows what it means.
I guess there was no answer as I have the global filtering on.

Old April 26th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"[email protected]" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies
interfere with the ADSL signal.

They don't.

I know.

Peter Crosland thinks they do though. He posted as much saying that's why
'high
quality' filters are important.

The filters not there to isolate the voice signals as they have zero
interaction.
Its there to stop the line impedence, etc. changing when someone picks a
phone up.
If the line charcteristics change too much the ADSL modem will have to
retrain.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance
too.

Its a dielectric so it effects the impedence of the tracks, etc.

Not to any measurable or relevant degree at ADSL frequencies. I'll check
the
relative dielectric constants just out of interest actually since you
mention
it.

That is probably true.
There are other physical differences like thermal expansion, etc.
They could effect failure rates/modes if they are not catered for in the
design.

Old April 26th 07, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I was hoping for an update on your idea about how voice frequencies
interfere
with the ADSL signal.

Oh and why the pcb material in a microfilter affects its performance
too. Graham

You're best putting him in the kill filter, a global one! He tends
to just repost what he finds in Google without understanding it. That's
why he thinks he is such an expert in everything. Ask a
detailed question on something posted and you don't get a reply.
It's the same in most newsgroups. Anyone can quote something, not
everyone quoting knows what it means.
I guess there was no answer as I have the global filtering on.

I am sure you are correct but I don't like idiots like him spreading false
information. I shall add him.

Peter Crosland

Old April 26th 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} wrote:
In message , [email protected] wrote:

The filters not there to isolate the voice signals as they have zero
interaction.
Its there to stop the line impedence, etc. changing when someone
picks a phone up.
If the line charcteristics change too much the ADSL modem will have
to retrain.

The filters are low-pass filters that stop the ADSL signal from seeing
anything the other side. I would guess the impedance of a phone would
attenuate the ADSL signal quite well and, as you say, the change on
pick-up would probably screw what remaining hope there was.

Exactly. The trouble is that Graham lacks the intellectual capacity to
comprehend this!

Peter Crosland