ScotDSL - can it really be as good as it appears?

Old April 26th 07, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Smeagol

Default ScotDSL - can it really be as good as it appears?

http://www.scotdsl.com/

a.. Download speed up to 8Mb
a.. Upload speed up to 448Kb
a.. Free connection and migration
a.. Unlimited bandwidth (No download limits)
a.. No caps
a.. No restrictions
a.. No port throttling
a.. No fair usage policy
a.. No minimum contract
a.. 10MB web space
a.. 5 email addresses
a.. Quick and easy to install
a.. Easy monthly payments. No hidden extras
a.. Free migration from existing provider

One negative thing I have discovered is that they only appear to take a credit or debit card for payment at the moment, unless that
is for an initial payment and DD is possible for subsequent payments.

Moving would save me 4 a month. How smooth is transfer - is there really no interruption of service?

Anyone any thoughts on these people?

--
Smeagol

Old April 26th 07, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"smeagol" wrote in message

[...]

It would appear that they are a "virtual ISP", using a package supplied by
NJP Services, who also run Fast4.
No mention of Usenet availability.
Support by phone is expensive - 60p per minute (0905 number)
They've been in business for less than 2 years.
Yes they're cheap and unrestricted but for how long, I ask myself?

George

Old April 26th 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Anyone any thoughts on these people?

Not particularly (never having heard of them).

Is your exchange LLU enabled ? - it might be worth checking out
http://www.samknows.com as you might find other providers with
potentially higher speed connections with "similar" provisions.

Sky do up to 16Mbit, but their webmail is broken (additional mailboxes
work fine via pop3), but don't do webspace. If you go for the 10
option of Sky Max, there's a FUP and a rumoured cap of around 250Gb
per month, but you'd have to try hard to come close. Avoid the Sky
Connect package though, it's very heavily filtered, and not suitable
except for very light users who didn't want to leave dial-up :-p
Old April 26th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

"George Weston" wrote in message ...

"smeagol" wrote in message

[...]

They may say no minimum contract and no hidden extras, but this part of the T+Cs seem to refute that.

"1.14 "Exit Fee" means that in the event that you wish to move providers or cancel the service provided to you, within the first 12
months you will be liable to pay a fee equivalent to the connection fee that you would have paid if the service had not been offered
with free connection. These fees are currently 85 including VAT for new connections and 20 including VAT for migrating in
customers."

According to a post on ispreview, a customer of NJPservices trading as fast4
was informed by Ofcom that they are not a member of an alternate dispute
resolution service. As far as I know it is a legal requirement for communication
providers to be a member.

NJPServices http://www.njpservices.co.uk have also been accused of ripping
off another (unrelated) ISP's website, Pulse8internet www.pulse8internet.com

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/show...078#post179078

NJP trading as Fast4 also used V21's database to spam Biscit and former
V21 customers after it was sold to Biscit. The CEO of njp was the CEO
of V21 until its sale to Biscit.