Broadband problems

Old April 26th 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

Default Broadband problems

I have had no internet at work all week. It has been becoming increasingly
flaky over the last few weeks.

I phoned the supplier and they said the line had too much noise on it, they
were going to improve the SNR. They rang me yesterday and told me to restart
my router this morning, I did and it connected briefly and has been offline
since.

Before I ring them again tomorrow what should I be asking them to do if they
try to fob me off? Am I likely to be plagued with line problems from now on?
When broadband first came out we were deemed too far from the exchange, but
I live very near work and my connection at home is spot on.

Any input appreciated.

Rick

Old April 26th 07, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

Whatever the outcome, make sure you ask for a refund. I had an 'on and off'
service which was (sort of) resolved after 12 months and the ISP offered 6
months free so it is worth asking.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Old April 28th 07, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

R D S wrote:
I have had no internet at work all week. It has been becoming
increasingly flaky over the last few weeks.

I phoned the supplier and they said the line had too much noise on
it, they were going to improve the SNR. They rang me yesterday and
told me to restart my router this morning, I did and it connected
briefly and has been offline since.

Before I ring them again tomorrow what should I be asking them to
do if they try to fob me off? Am I likely to be plagued with line
problems from now on? When broadband first came out we were deemed
too far from the exchange, but I live very near work and my
connection at home is spot on.
Any input appreciated.

Rick

It certainly sounds like they are trying to blow you off as they is
nothing they can do about any noise on your line without you actually
receiving a visit from one of those DSL trained (hopefully) Openreach
engineers/technicians (depends on who you are talking to). As these
visits can cost your ISP an arm & a leg (with loose change for that
hernia which you've always wanted to get fixed) they normally will put
it off until every other avenue has been checked, rechecked, your
recheck has been checked & so on.

To do yourself a big favour, eliminate all possible problems at your
end, just connect the router to the test socket of your NTE with out
anything else on the line..does it work?

Also it can pay to borrow (if you haven't got one already) an old am
transistor radio tune it to Radio 5 or Virgin AM & just place it next
to your routers power supply first & then check all electrical
equipment close to the line. If you get a loud interference signal
(normally 50hz but not always) try & pin that down & when you have &
turn that equipment off to see if that allows your DSL going back on
line.

If it doesn't keep pounding away at your ISP to get a visit, it's the
only way..

Old April 28th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"Kraftee" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
[...]

After a full week off line it was working perfectly today after another
phone call yesterday.
I'm sure it was nothing at my end, I tried a different router plugged into
the phone socket alone and it wouldn't sync.

Anyway, fingers crossed.

Old April 28th 07, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

R D S wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
[...]

Best of luck, if it has been solved it wasn't to much noise on the
line, that's all i can say...

Old April 30th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"Kraftee" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
[...]

Damn thing was down today.
A BT engineer is coming out tomorrow.

We dial 1656 (manually) for our outgoing calls to go through a cheaper
provider, apparently BT were claiming that this was the root of our
problems!

Old April 30th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

R D S wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
[...]

Doubt it very much, if you have to much noise (DSL type) it could be a
faulty connection etc or even interferrence pushed into the BT network
by another user (this is becoming common as the spread of DSL goes
on). If it's to much noise (analogue type) here again it could be a
faulty connection, socket, cable etc. In neither case will the fact
that you are dialing out using a third party carrier going to cause to
much noise on your line.

You have raised the fault via your ISP haven't you?

If you haven't be prepared to pay £60 plus just for a knock on the
door to tell you your phone line is ok. It WILL happen so here's
hoping you've done it properly...

Old April 30th 07, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Panda

On Apr 30, 10:54 pm, "R D S" wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in message

R D S wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
[...]

problems!- Hide quoted text -

I suggest asking BT to change your coper pair from CO to your modem,
if they have spare pairs!.
They should have spare pairs within the harness.

An other odd suggestion here, but proved to solve such problem, ask BT
to carry your ADSL over dual pair instead of single pair to reduce the
line impedance and get stronger signal.

Panda,
http://forums.networkingland.com

Old May 1st 07, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"R D S" wrote in message
I have had no internet at work all week. It has been becoming increasingly
flaky over the last few weeks.

BT man came today.

The line is fine he said, then he left.

Phone rang later, 'hello...hello...hello..etc' we said.

Now it seems we have no voice on the phone line.