Emails from me to me - only they're NOT!

Old April 27th 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
80/20

Default Emails from me to me - only they're NOT!

I am recieving emails to my Wanadoo email address that show up in my
inbox as from me, but clearly I wouldn't do that so what is going on?
The originating sender is clearly shown as my Wanadoo address, but the
return path is .

I've looked on Wanadoo/Orange website and cannot find any info about
this kind of thing happening.

I have also tried to log into my account and it refuses saying "We
didn't recognise your email address or password. Please try again."

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Cheers
Steve

Old April 27th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lon

"80/20" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am recieving emails to my Wanadoo email address that show up in my
inbox as from me, but clearly I wouldn't do that so what is going on?
The originating sender is clearly shown as my Wanadoo address, but the
return path is .

I've looked on Wanadoo/Orange website and cannot find any info about
this kind of thing happening.

I have also tried to log into my account and it refuses saying "We
didn't recognise your email address or password. Please try again."

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Contact your ISP and tell them whats happing..

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000736-2, 26/04/2007
Tested on: 27/04/2007 16:12:35

Old April 27th 07, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

80/20 wrote:

I am recieving emails to my Wanadoo email address that show up in my
inbox as from me, but clearly I wouldn't do that so what is going on?
The originating sender is clearly shown as my Wanadoo address, but the
return path is .

I've looked on Wanadoo/Orange website and cannot find any info about
this kind of thing happening.

I have also tried to log into my account and it refuses saying "We
didn't recognise your email address or password. Please try again."

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Bear in mind that anyone can send email "From:" any address they want to,
unless SPF has been implemented. But, the fact that you can't log into your
account does sound a bit suss.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:25:17 up 13 days, 20:44, 2 users, load average: 0.41, 0.26, 0.20

Old April 27th 07, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

80/20 wrote:

I am recieving emails to my Wanadoo email address that show up in my
inbox as from me, but clearly I wouldn't do that so what is going on?
The originating sender is clearly shown as my Wanadoo address, but the
return path is .

I've looked on Wanadoo/Orange website and cannot find any info about
this kind of thing happening.

I have also tried to log into my account and it refuses saying "We
didn't recognise your email address or password. Please try again."

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Cheers
Steve

This is one of the joys of spam! Spammers will hi-jack your email address
and send out emails which *appear* to come from you. Using your address when
sending *to* you is probably just a device to circumvent any spam detector
you may be using.

I don't understand what you mean about not being able to log on to your
account. You must be able to log on to Wanadoo's POP server - otherwise you
wouldn't know that you had received these emails?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 27th 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Mitchell

80/20 wrote:
I am recieving emails to my Wanadoo email address that show up in my
inbox as from me, but clearly I wouldn't do that so what is going on?
The originating sender is clearly shown as my Wanadoo address, but the
return path is .

I've looked on Wanadoo/Orange website and cannot find any info about
this kind of thing happening.

I have also tried to log into my account and it refuses saying "We
didn't recognise your email address or password. Please try again."

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Cheers
Steve

Sounds like someone has been using your domain name as the
sent from or reply to address

I run www.smoothchristmasradio.com station and over christmas
I kept getting lots of angry replies telling to quit it with
the spam!

Not a lot you can do about it I'm afraid, unfortunatly though
it means your email address ends up on spam filters
Old April 27th 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
80/20

On 27 Apr, 16:47, "Roger Mills" wrote:
SNIPPED
I don't understand what you mean about not being able to log on to your
account. You must be able to log on to Wanadoo's POP server - otherwise you
wouldn't know that you had received these emails?
--
Cheers,
Roger
______

Roger,
It's simple I've got more than one Wanadoo account and 'so far' only
one has been affected.
Having more than one allows me to log onto the internet that way.

Cheers
Steve

Old April 27th 07, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"alexd" wrote in message
80/20 wrote:

I am recieving emails to my Wanadoo email address that show up in my
inbox as from me, but clearly I wouldn't do that so what is going on?
The originating sender is clearly shown as my Wanadoo address, but the
return path is .

I've looked on Wanadoo/Orange website and cannot find any info about
this kind of thing happening.

I have also tried to log into my account and it refuses saying "We
didn't recognise your email address or password. Please try again."

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Bear in mind that anyone can send email "From:" any address they want to,
unless SPF has been implemented.

SPF is just used for scoring emails it does not by itself stop these types
of emails being received.

Old April 27th 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am recieving emails to my Wanadoo email address that show up in my
inbox as from me, but clearly I wouldn't do that so what is going on?
The originating sender is clearly shown as my Wanadoo address, but the
return path is .
Anyone offer any suggestions?

Just a small one - check the headers and you'll find the true source
of the sender, which will almost certainly be a hijacked machine in a
botnet somewhere.

I've got a feeble attempt at describing how email hangs together on my
site at http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/phishing.html (I might even
have a few mistakes in there, i'm open to correction !)

One tiny note - Kaspersky detects the page as potentially malicious,
as I give an example of the displayed link differing from the actual
site it sends you to - it's a false positive and i've informed them,
but it would be hard to filter out "examples" as against true scam
attempts unless they nominated a redirect domain to be used.

I have also tried to log into my account and it refuses saying "We
didn't recognise your email address or password. Please try again."

This might just be their authentication server playing up - it
happens...
Old April 27th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Fawthrop

On 27 Apr 2007 08:08:43 -0700, "80/20" wrote:

|!I am recieving emails to my Wanadoo email address that show up in my
|!inbox as from me, but clearly I wouldn't do that so what is going on?
|!The originating sender is clearly shown as my Wanadoo address, but the
|!return path is .

Someone is forging your email address, just a way of disguising the sender.
I get spam from my email address, quite regularly.

Think hard before you killfile yourself.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old April 27th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Gordon Hudson wrote:

Bear in mind that anyone can send email "From:" any address they want to,
unless SPF has been implemented.

SPF is just used for scoring emails it does not by itself stop these types
of emails being received.

That would be a detail of the implementation of SPF, not SPF itself.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:00:35 up 14 days, 1:20, 2 users, load average: 1.36, 0.81, 0.50