BT Home Hub

Old April 27th 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Millan

Default BT Home Hub

Sometimes, not evertime though, but sometimes when I rebot my computer my BB
will not connect. I have to manually reset (hold button for 15 seconds) the
home hub several times in order for it to work again,
No ammount of going into the settings and repairing the conection works.

Any idea what this is and how to repair it?
Thanks Millan

Old April 28th 07, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil B

"Millan" wrote in message
Sometimes, not evertime though, but sometimes when I rebot my computer my
BB will not connect. I have to manually reset (hold button for 15 seconds)
the home hub several times in order for it to work again,
No ammount of going into the settings and repairing the conection works.

Any idea what this is and how to repair it?
Thanks Millan

Hi Millan,
Well, could be any number of things and a few more details will be
needed for the friendly people here.

1. What has your connection always been like this? If not, what might have
changed?
2. How are you connected to your HH? USB cable? Ethernet cable?
Wireless?
3. What are you connecting and which browser?
4. Any messages shown?
5. When in this dead state, which lights are lit on the HH?
6. Can you connect to http://192.168.1.254 with your browser? If so then
you can eliminate computer and cabling.
7. Assuming you have a Windows environment, try this: Click start, run,
then cmd to get a DOS session.
what do you get if you do
ipconfig
Does it have an IP address of 192.169.1.xx where xx is a
number about 64.
What if you
ping 192.168.1.254
does it timeout or reply?
(You quit this DOS session with 'exit').
8. Can't you fix the problem by just power cycling the router? Manual
factory reset requires button holding over a power cycle (or so we are
told).

Regards - hope this takes you a step closer.
Phil

Old April 28th 07, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Millan

"Phil B" wrote in message

"Millan" wrote in message
Sometimes, not evertime though, but sometimes when I rebot my computer my
BB will not connect. I have to manually reset (hold button for 15
seconds) the home hub several times in order for it to work again,
No ammount of going into the settings and repairing the conection works.

Any idea what this is and how to repair it?
Thanks Millan

Hi Millan,
Well, could be any number of things and a few more details will be
needed for the friendly people here.

1. What has your connection always been like this? If not, what might
have changed?

Always been good, no problems
2. How are you connected to your HH? USB cable? Ethernet cable?
Wireless?

Ethernet
3. What are you connecting and which browser?

IE 7. It just will not get the conection.

4. Any messages shown?

Something like no cnnection found

5. When in this dead state, which lights are lit on the HH?

All as normal. Doesnt look any different.

6. Can you connect to http://192.168.1.254 with your browser? If so then
you can eliminate computer and cabling.

No wil not connect
7. Assuming you have a Windows environment, try this: Click start, run,
then cmd to get a DOS session.
what do you get if you do
ipconfig
Does it have an IP address of 192.169.1.xx where xx is a
number about 64.
What if you
ping 192.168.1.254
does it timeout or reply?
(You quit this DOS session with 'exit').

Bit past my tech expertise

8. Can't you fix the problem by just power cycling the router? Manual
factory reset requires button holding over a power cycle (or so we are
told).

I hold the buttin on the back of the router for 15 secs, it reboots and then
i can normally get a connection

Old April 28th 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Millan" wrote in message

"Phil B" wrote in message

"Millan" wrote in message
Sometimes, not evertime though, but sometimes when I rebot my computer
my BB will not connect. I have to manually reset (hold button for 15
seconds) the home hub several times in order for it to work again,
No ammount of going into the settings and repairing the conection works.

Any idea what this is and how to repair it?
Thanks Millan

Hi Millan,
Well, could be any number of things and a few more details will be
needed for the friendly people here.

1. What has your connection always been like this? If not, what might
have changed?

Always been good, no problems
2. How are you connected to your HH? USB cable? Ethernet cable?
Wireless?

Ethernet
3. What are you connecting and which browser?

IE 7. It just will not get the conection.

What version of the Hub firmware - IE 7 was known to have a problem with
earlier firmware. If you have the latest (6.2.2.6) then it may not be that
but if it's 6.1.1.2R or earlier, IE 7 could well be the problem.

John

Old April 29th 07, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil B

Go on Millan, humour us!

"Millan" wrote in message

"Phil B" wrote in message

"Millan" wrote in message
Sometimes, not evertime though, but sometimes when I rebot my computer
my BB will not connect. I have to manually reset (hold button for 15
seconds) the home hub several times in order for it to work again,
No ammount of going into the settings and repairing the conection works.

Any idea what this is and how to repair it?
Thanks Millan

Hi Millan,
Well, could be any number of things and a few more details will be
needed for the friendly people here.

1. What has your connection always been like this? If not, what might
have changed?

Always been good, no problems
2. How are you connected to your HH? USB cable? Ethernet cable?
Wireless?

Ethernet

Good. Makes it simpler.
waggle the cable and make sure it's fully inserted? Does it work if you use
a different cable? Plug into the other ethernet port on the router?

3. What are you connecting and which browser?

IE 7. It just will not get the conection.

I'm suspicious of IE7 but John has covered that with you.
Is there some message? No response at all? what?

4. Any messages shown?

Something like no cnnection found

How much like?

5. When in this dead state, which lights are lit on the HH?

All as normal. Doesnt look any different.

What do you call normal? Those light tell us a lot.

6. Can you connect to http://192.168.1.254 with your browser? If so
then you can eliminate computer and cabling.

No wil not connect
7. Assuming you have a Windows environment, try this: Click start, run,
then cmd to get a DOS session.
what do you get if you do
ipconfig
Does it have an IP address of 192.169.1.xx where xx is
a number about 64.
What if you
ping 192.168.1.254
does it timeout or reply?
(You quit this DOS session with 'exit').

Bit past my tech expertise

Let's do this slowly.
Do you have windows? Windows what?
Can you use the mouse to click on 'start' bottom left?
Then click on 'run'.
In the little window type 'cmd' and then click 'ok'.
Now type 'ipconfig' and press enter. Miss out the ' characters of course!

You should see something like this:

ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

It might say media disconnected? Does it?
What is the IP Address given?

If you do 'ipconfig/renew' then enter what happens?

Now type 'ping 192.168.1.254' and press enter.
Does it give timeout messages or does it give four 'reply' messages like
this:-

ping 192.168.1.254

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64
etc

Phil

Old April 29th 07, 02:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Millan

"Phil B" wrote in message
Go on Millan, humour us!

"Millan" wrote in message

"Phil B" wrote in message

"Millan" wrote in message
[...]

OK, bear with me.

When it will not come on the lights on the hub are the same as when its
working, they are all lit.

When I do the cmd thing, I do get the message media disconected and when I
ping I get the 4 reply from lines.

It isnt so much an error message but I have a exclamation mark (yellow) near
to the clock, bottom right, like a dial up networking exclamation with no
connection

IP Address
192.168.1.64

Here is what I get.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Elite Dogsipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

C:\Documents and Settings\MEping 192.168.1.254

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:

Old April 29th 07, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil B

"Millan" wrote in message

"Phil B" wrote in message
Go on Millan, humour us!

"Millan" wrote in message

"Phil B" wrote in message

"Millan" wrote in message
[...]

a very interesting set of info here.

All lights on eh? Broadband and Internet on says it thinks it's talking ok
to the exchange.
Also, The right hand light (Data) says it is seeing a computer connected via
one of the ether ports (computer TO router okay).
The ping test says the computer can communicate with the router both ways.
(Ping says 'are you there?' 'Yes I am')

BUT that media disconnected is odd - says that it has no physical connection
FROM the router - which flies in the face of the ping working.

I'm starting to suspect an intermittent connection between computer and
router, either internal to one end or in the cabling.
I wonder if you kept repeating those tests you could get the ipconfig to
stop saying media disconnected or that ping to fail with timeouts? (Tip:
after doing any command such as the ipconfig just up arrow and enter to
repeat it).

Try

moving the cables and connectors slightly to see if the fault changes.
Examine at the cable for kinks.
try another ether cable if you have one.
If you have house ethernet wiring suspect that.
Swap to the other port on the router. If this fixes it then you have same
as me here - a duff router awaiting return (but hopefully not a new one
which only synchs at 384K!!).
Look carefully at the pins of the ether connector on the computer and the
router. Are they all lined up nicely or are there any bent ones? I've used
a bent paper clip to __gently__ ease one straight.

Sorry if I sounded a bit tetchy in my last email.

Good luck
Phil

Old April 29th 07, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[snip general introduction]

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

BUT that media disconnected is odd - says that it has no physical
connection FROM the router - which flies in the face of the ping working.

Look at Millan's reply - it clearly shows that "Media disconnected" refers
to the wireless connection - which is entirely reasonable since he is
connecting using an ethernet cable.

--
Graham J

Old April 29th 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil B

"Graham" wrote in message
[snip general introduction]

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

BUT that media disconnected is odd - says that it has no physical
connection FROM the router - which flies in the face of the ping working.

Look at Millan's reply - it clearly shows that "Media disconnected" refers
to the wireless connection - which is entirely reasonable since he is
connecting using an ethernet cable.

--
Graham J

Oops! Quite right Graham. Sorry!
Forget all that stuff about intermittent connections.

Let's summarise.

This occurs sometimes on computer power up.
Router is at factory default following all the resetting.
Router lights suggest it is communicating with the external network.
Physical connection to computer seems okay.
It has an IP address so DHCP broadcast requests are working.
Ping of the router works.
Web access to the router does not.

Where does that take us?
Are we looking at a software firewall issue - blocking port 80 or the
browser perhaps?

Phil