Low useage broadband

Old April 28th 07, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

Default Low useage broadband

Hi

I want to sign my Mum (80 in June) up for broadband on a low user account.

I've looked at the low user one from Newnet, Home LITE 12, at 9.95 a month with 1Gb
usage included.

She's only going to use it for email and a bit of web surfing so as far as that goes
it should be okay. However her main use will be to talk to my brother in Australia
using a webcam over Skype, plus maybe emailing a few photos.

Currently she's on dial up, and her main computer use is digital photography and
editing.. I suspect that the Skype link will be the main usage of data, but I'm not
sure how much this uses.

Can anyone offer any info on this?

tia

--

Andrew Sayers
Old April 28th 07, 06:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Andrew Sayers
writes
Hi

I want to sign my Mum (80 in June) up for broadband on a low user account.

I've looked at the low user one from Newnet, Home LITE 12, at 9.95 a
month with 1Gb
usage included.

She's only going to use it for email and a bit of web surfing so as far
as that goes
it should be okay. However her main use will be to talk to my brother
in Australia
using a webcam over Skype, plus maybe emailing a few photos.

Currently she's on dial up, and her main computer use is digital
photography and
editing.. I suspect that the Skype link will be the main usage of data,
but I'm not
sure how much this uses.

Can anyone offer any info on this?

On what exactly? I've found NewNet to be trouble-free and open in their
dealings with customers. They provide an online indication of usage and
it's cheaper to buy BW in advance than be billed for it.

tia

--
dave @ stejonda
Old April 28th 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm H

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
[...]

Has she got Sky satellite tv by any chance? If so they are offering free
broadband in many areas. I have installed it for a couple of friends.
There's no catch and it works fine!

Old April 29th 07, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"dave @ stejonda" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I was thinking about how much data Skype would use. I suspect not huge
amounts, but whether this might end up exceeding the 1Gb limit by masses.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old April 29th 07, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"Malcolm H" wrote:

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No, she's not got Sky, so unfortunately this isn't an option for her.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old April 29th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan

"Malcolm H" wrote:

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

very soon everyone will have to have digital TV when the analogue signal is
switched off. I would suggest Sky merits some consideration if you are going
to spend 10 a month for a BB service then for an extra 5 per month making
a total of 15 per month you can have BB and a lot of digital TV. Worth
thinking about?

Old April 30th 07, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"Malcolm H" wrote:

[...]

Hmm

Interesting point. I'll look into this for future reference. Thanks for the info.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old April 30th 07, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:26:05 +0100, "Bryan"
mused:

Has she got Sky satellite tv by any chance? If so they are offering free
broadband in many areas. I have installed it for a couple of friends.
There's no catch and it works fine!

No, she's not got Sky, so unfortunately this isn't an option for her.

very soon everyone will have to have digital TV when the analogue signal is
switched off. I would suggest Sky merits some consideration if you are going
to spend 10 a month for a BB service then for an extra 5 per month making
a total of 15 per month you can have BB and a lot of digital TV. Worth
thinking about?

What has Sky got to do with analogue switch off?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old April 30th 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:26:05 +0100, "Bryan"
mused:

Has she got Sky satellite tv by any chance? If so they are offering free
broadband in many areas. I have installed it for a couple of friends.
There's no catch and it works fine!

No, she's not got Sky, so unfortunately this isn't an option for her.

very soon everyone will have to have digital TV when the analogue signal
is
switched off. I would suggest Sky merits some consideration if you are
going
to spend 10 a month for a BB service then for an extra 5 per month
making
a total of 15 per month you can have BB and a lot of digital TV. Worth
thinking about?

What has Sky got to do with analogue switch off?

Maybe quite a bit if you live in an area that can't/won't receive Freeview
and is not in a Cable area?

George

Old April 30th 07, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:17:01 +0100, "George Weston"
mused:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Few and far between though.