Echo on Skype

Old April 27th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alasdair

Default Echo on Skype

I signed up to Skype and find it works, generally, OK. However, when
I call a local landline number, the called party complains bitterly
that when she speaks to me, she gets a dreadful echo which is
distressing her.

She says she can hear me perfectly clearly and I can hear her
perfectly clearly but I get no echo. I tried reducing my headset
volume in case the echo was caused by feedback but it made no
difference.

Any sugggestions?

By the way, I am using Skype version 2.5.0.151

--
Alasdair.
Old April 28th 07, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"Alasdair" wrote in message
I signed up to Skype and find it works, generally, OK. However, when
I call a local landline number, the called party complains bitterly
that when she speaks to me, she gets a dreadful echo which is
distressing her.

She says she can hear me perfectly clearly and I can hear her
perfectly clearly but I get no echo. I tried reducing my headset
volume in case the echo was caused by feedback but it made no
difference.

Any sugggestions?

By the way, I am using Skype version 2.5.0.151

--
Alasdair.

This group is generally for VoIP related posts, Skype
isn't VoIP.
However, the latest version of Skype is 3.1.0.152,
so try upgrading. Also, do you use a headset? This
is recommended.
And finally, don't call the lady using Skype.

Old April 28th 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

After serious thinking Nick wrote :

This group is generally for VoIP related posts, Skype
isn't VoIP.

Not that I use Skype - however, what's /not/ VoIP about Skype?

Skype isn't SIP or IAX etc. but it certainly carries Voice over IP....

Old April 28th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Torsten Mann

Alasdair wrote:
I signed up to Skype and find it works, generally, OK. However, when
I call a local landline number, the called party complains bitterly
that when she speaks to me, she gets a dreadful echo which is
distressing her.

Hi,

your headset might cause echo problem. I remember when I was using a BT
hands free w/Gizmo the other party always did make same complaints: the
voice wasn't crisp & clear at all and echo was best friend w/almost
every call.
Later on I changed to a hardware sip phone (C450IP) and my girlfriend
swarms it sounds I'm right next to her - obviously in many cases it's
the input device that matters.

Just my observations::::::::

Brgds, Torsten.
Old April 28th 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Nick wrote:
This group is generally for VoIP related posts, Skype
isn't VoIP.

Yes it is.
Old April 28th 07, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Torsten Mann brought next idea :
girlfriend swarms

They sound interesting!

Old April 29th 07, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Torsten Mann brought next idea :
girlfriend swarms

They sound interesting!

He must have a good "input device".

Old April 29th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Torsten Mann

Jono wrote:
Torsten Mann brought next idea :
girlfriend swarms

They sound interesting!

Not sure - in fact it should mean "she rhapsodizes overall quality of my
voice" due to my new phone - to set this in context to previous posting.
And don't joke around 'bout my input device ;-)

Brgds, Torsten.
Old May 2nd 07, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

Hi,

You could try calling an echo test number to see if their actually is an
echo and what its nature is. (I would call a VoIP PSTN access gateway number
then onward call a VoIP echo test - that way you can confirm if it is and
the nature of the PSTN Skype access facility).

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

News Reader