Recommendations for New Zealand modem/router?

Old April 28th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
ian

Default Recommendations for New Zealand modem/router?

Recommendations anyone for an ADSL modem/firewall/router to work with
New Zealand's xtra ISP? Speed up to 4Mbps.

Must support QoS and VoIP.

A single LAN ethernet port will be enough.

A Linksys model perhaps?

--
Ian
Old April 28th 07, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:08:08 GMT, ian wrote:

Recommendations anyone for an ADSL modem/firewall/router to work with
New Zealand's xtra ISP? Speed up to 4Mbps.

Must support QoS and VoIP.

A single LAN ethernet port will be enough.

A Linksys model perhaps?

I can't confirm operation with your ISP but the model of Lynksys you'd
be looking for would be the SPA-3102.
Up to 5 different outgoing providers, one of them being th esingle
incoming provider. Also interfaces with a PPSTN line and does have a
single LAN port. I don't know if itsupports QoS but I would think that
something like that would be included. You can check out the manuals
on the sipura.com web site.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 1st 07, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Panda

On Apr 28, 10:08 am, ian wrote:
Recommendations anyone for an ADSL modem/firewall/router to work with
New Zealand's xtra ISP? Speed up to 4Mbps.

Must support QoS and VoIP.

A single LAN ethernet port will be enough.

A Linksys model perhaps?

--
Ian

I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with QoS and VoIP
support.

Panda,
http://forums.networkingland.com

Old May 1st 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
ian

In message .com,
Panda writes

I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with QoS and VoIP
support.

Many thanks Panda. At first sight, this looked to be exactly what I was
looking for.

That is, until I read the User Manual. In Chapter 22 (Tools) there is a
note saying: "Do not interrupt the file transfer process as this may
PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR ZyXEL Device."

What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a dozen
reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a useless
lump of silicon. No thank you!

--
Ian
Old May 1st 07, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Lurch

On Tue, 01 May 2007 07:05:54 GMT, ian mused:

In message .com,
Panda writes

I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with QoS and VoIP
support.

Many thanks Panda. At first sight, this looked to be exactly what I was
looking for.

That is, until I read the User Manual. In Chapter 22 (Tools) there is a
note saying: "Do not interrupt the file transfer process as this may
PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR ZyXEL Device."

What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a dozen
reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a useless
lump of silicon. No thank you!

Think you'll find any device in any area of any industry has exactly
the same warnings about firmware upgrades. I've seen security
equipment worth thousands being reduced to a pile of scrap with a
borked firmware upgrade process.

Usually though, there is some way of undoing the knackering of the
device, it's not always a user function though so gets ommitted from
manuals. It's aeasier to just say 'don't ever do it'.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 1st 07, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"ian" wrote in message

In message
.com,
Panda writes

I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with
QoS and VoIP support.

Many thanks Panda. At first sight, this looked to be
exactly what I was looking for.

That is, until I read the User Manual. In Chapter 22
(Tools) there is a note saying: "Do not interrupt the
file transfer process as this may PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR
ZyXEL Device."
What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life
there are a dozen reasons why a file transfer might fail,
and you finish up with a useless lump of silicon. No
thank you!

In that case you'll never upgrade any firmware. In real life, a problem
rarely happens; when it does, it's nearly always due to power failure. If
you ensure power can't fail (use a UPS) then it's unlikely you'll have
problems.

Ivor

Old May 1st 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Panda

On May 1, 10:05 am, ian wrote:
In message .com,
Panda writes

I suggest ZyXEL P-2602RL-D Series ADSL 2+ VoIP IAD with QoS and VoIP
support.

Many thanks Panda. At first sight, this looked to be exactly what I was
looking for.

That is, until I read the User Manual. In Chapter 22 (Tools) there is a
note saying: "Do not interrupt the file transfer process as this may
PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR ZyXEL Device."

What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a dozen
reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a useless
lump of silicon. No thank you!

--
Ian

Ian,

I have been dealing with ZyXEL products for the last 10 years, in
other words, since they were manufacturing analogue dial up and leased
line modems only and our engineers never faced such a problem upon
upgrading any firmware.

ZyXEL proved to be a robust, easy to use, reliable and cost effective
products.

Trust me man and go for it.

Panda,

http://www.networkingland.com/dsl_vendors.htm

Old May 2nd 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk

ian wrote:

What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a dozen
reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a useless
lump of silicon. No thank you!

by file transfer they would mean Firmware upgrade not a general "file
transfer" from LAN to WAN.

Pretty much everything that has upgradeable firmware gives the same warning.

Firmware is like the operating system - if you only dump half of it to
the EEPROM (Firmware) how will the router know what instructions to
follow on power-up.

HTH
Pete

http://www.gymratz.co.uk
UK's leading gym and fitness equipment supplier
"Big enough to matter, Small enough to care"
Old May 2nd 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
ian

In message , "Pete @
www.GymRatZ.co.uk" writes
ian wrote:

What kind of klutsy engineering is this? In real life there are a
dozen reasons why a file transfer might fail, and you finish up with a
useless lump of silicon. No thank you!

by file transfer they would mean Firmware upgrade not a general "file
transfer" from LAN to WAN.

Understood.

Pretty much everything that has upgradeable firmware gives the same warning.

Not in my experience of remotely upgradeable equipment over the last 20
years+.

Firmware is like the operating system - if you only dump half of it to
the EEPROM (Firmware) how will the router know what instructions to
follow on power-up.

A hardware reset should revert the equipment to the original factory
version of the firmware.

--
Ian
Old May 4th 07, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk

ian wrote:

Not in my experience of remotely upgradeable equipment over the last 20
years+.

Would you not be upgrading it locally?

Firmware is like the operating system - if you only dump half of it to
the EEPROM (Firmware) how will the router know what instructions to
follow on power-up.

A hardware reset should revert the equipment to the original factory
version of the firmware.

Perhaps things are not as "fragile" as they were onceupon a time. I
would think it is a precautionary note. Similar to the warning on my
xbox360 not to power down the console while an update is in progress
etc. etc.

Last thing I upgraded firmware on was my Draytek 2910vg which gives the
same words of caution. This is one of the latest products from a well
respected manufacturer.