Sky LLU

Old April 29th 07, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

Default Sky LLU

Sky have just unbundled my exchange and are now offering their 16Mb
package for 10pm. Just curious to know if there is any way I can find
out what sort of speeds I could expect to get if I do move to them.

Currently on a 2Mb Pipex connection and my router is giving me the
following info:

Statistic | Downstream | Upstream
Line Rate | 2272 Kbps | 288 Kbps
Noise Margin | 14.8 dB | 15.0 dB
Line Attenuation | 34.5 dB | 31.5 dB
Output Power | 11.9 dBm | 19.4 dBm

Don't know what's significant there or what any of it means to be
honest. I live just under a mile from the exchange. Can anyone hazard a
reasonable guess or point me to a site that might be able to give me
some idea of what my potential speed might be?

--
regards, James Luff Gamertag: Lufferov
remove 'nospam' to e-mail
Old April 29th 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Sky have just unbundled my exchange and are now offering their 16Mb
package for 10pm. Just curious to know if there is any way I can find
out what sort of speeds I could expect to get if I do move to them.

FWIW i'm on 51dB line attenuation, with quite a variable noise margin
of ~5-9dB, and I connect at between 6.5-7.5Mbit with Sky Max LLU
Old April 29th 07, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

point me to a site that might be able to give me some idea of what my
potential speed might be?

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...ow-get-better-
results/5969-sky-router-stats-speed-noise-attenuation-explained.html

They're suggesting around 14500kbps
Old April 29th 07, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

Colin Wilson wrote:
Sky have just unbundled my exchange and are now offering their 16Mb
package for 10pm. Just curious to know if there is any way I can find
out what sort of speeds I could expect to get if I do move to them.

FWIW i'm on 51dB line attenuation, with quite a variable noise margin
of ~5-9dB, and I connect at between 6.5-7.5Mbit with Sky Max LLU

This is a helpful page:

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed2.php

But I'm not sure if I can trust it to give a reliable figure. It is
predicting speeds of between 10-14Mbps for me, which is great if true,
however I remain skeptical. I guess if I can be sure of not getting a
slower connection then any improvement is welcome as it's half the price
of my current broadband service.

Old April 29th 07, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"James Luff" wrote in message
news
Sky have just unbundled my exchange and are now offering their 16Mb
package for 10pm. Just curious to know if there is any way I can find out
what sort of speeds I could expect to get if I do move to them.

Currently on a 2Mb Pipex connection and my router is giving me the
following info:

Statistic | Downstream | Upstream
Line Rate | 2272 Kbps | 288 Kbps
Noise Margin | 14.8 dB | 15.0 dB Line Attenuation | 34.5 dB
| 31.5 dB Output Power | 11.9 dBm | 19.4 dBm

My stats are similar.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 15323 kbps 764 kbps
Line Attenuation 33.0 db 18.2 db
Noise Margin 9.0 db 12.5 db

I expect you would get about 14M with yours.

Old May 2nd 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan

"James Luff" wrote in message
news
Sky have just unbundled my exchange and are now offering their 16Mb
package for 10pm. Just curious to know if there is any way I can find out
what sort of speeds I could expect to get if I do move to them.

Currently on a 2Mb Pipex connection and my router is giving me the
following info:

Statistic | Downstream | Upstream
Line Rate | 2272 Kbps | 288 Kbps
Noise Margin | 14.8 dB | 15.0 dB Line Attenuation | 34.5 dB
| 31.5 dB Output Power | 11.9 dBm | 19.4 dBm

Don't know what's significant there or what any of it means to be honest.
I live just under a mile from the exchange. Can anyone hazard a reasonable
guess or point me to a site that might be able to give me some idea of
what my potential speed might be?

--
regards, James Luff Gamertag: Lufferov
remove 'nospam' to e-mail
"There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't."

Just a word of caution. Is your exchange enabled for 8Mb? Mine isn't so

I'm not sure how you find out, though.

Allan

Old May 2nd 07, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

allan wrote:

: Just a word of caution. Is your exchange enabled for 8Mb? Mine isn't so
: I wasted my subscription (or half of) for Max.

Weird!!! If there is Easynet LLU equipment then it should always be possible
to have "Max" at 8Mb. Otherwise their "Broadband Checker" should not even
offer Max as an option.
Old May 2nd 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

http://www.samknows.com tells you
Old May 3rd 07, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

allan wrote:
"James Luff" wrote in message
news
Sky have just unbundled my exchange and are now offering their 16Mb
package for 10pm. Just curious to know if there is any way I can find out
what sort of speeds I could expect to get if I do move to them.

Currently on a 2Mb Pipex connection and my router is giving me the
following info:

Statistic | Downstream | Upstream
Line Rate | 2272 Kbps | 288 Kbps
Noise Margin | 14.8 dB | 15.0 dB Line Attenuation | 34.5 dB
| 31.5 dB Output Power | 11.9 dBm | 19.4 dBm

Don't know what's significant there or what any of it means to be honest.
I live just under a mile from the exchange. Can anyone hazard a reasonable
guess or point me to a site that might be able to give me some idea of
what my potential speed might be?

Just a word of caution. Is your exchange enabled for 8Mb? Mine isn't so
I wasted my subscription (or half of) for Max.

I'm not sure how you find out, though.

Yes it is, Sky and Easynet have unbundled my local exchange. I had an
e-mail from http://www.samknows.com/ because I asked to be notified of
changes to my exchange. It came as a bit of a surprise because I thought
it would be a while before it came to my area. But I've checked and the
16Mb Max package is definitely available.