configuring wireless network

Old April 29th 07, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Bellamy

Default configuring wireless network

Finally got an internet connection using my Netgear DG834G but only when i
also have the network cable
connected .When i pull out the network cable i lose the internet connection.
What am i doing wrong?.
I have the wireless symbol showing on the modem/router and my laptop shows a
strong wireless signal.

Andy.

Old April 29th 07, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message
at 01:48:12 on Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Andrew Bellamy
wrote
Finally got an internet connection using my Netgear DG834G but only when i
also have the network cable
connected .When i pull out the network cable i lose the internet connection.
What am i doing wrong?.
I have the wireless symbol showing on the modem/router and my laptop shows a
strong wireless signal.

Perhaps you're picking up a neighbours signal? There are a few round
here where they've left the default SSID as NETGEAR.
Have you put the right key in at both ends?
When you say the wireless symbol is showing, is it the one that looks
like a radio mast with signals coming out of it, and not the upside down
question mark - as usually you have to switch wireless on

On some laptops, even though you can see the networks (say with the
Windows icon in the sys tray), some laptops are configured to use their
own icon next to it in the sys tray, and you may have to enable the
wireless functionality to kick in - I've seen this at work on our WLAN
--
Mike News
Old April 29th 07, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:48:12 +0100, "Andrew Bellamy"
mused:

Finally got an internet connection using my Netgear DG834G but only when i
also have the network cable
connected .When i pull out the network cable i lose the internet connection.
What am i doing wrong?.
I have the wireless symbol showing on the modem/router and my laptop shows a
strong wireless signal.

Wireless network adapter not set to pick up an IP address from the
router? DHCP server not running on the router?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old April 29th 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek Geldard

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:01:15 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:48:12 +0100, "Andrew Bellamy"
mused:

Finally got an internet connection using my Netgear DG834G but only when i
also have the network cable
connected .When i pull out the network cable i lose the internet connection.
What am i doing wrong?.
I have the wireless symbol showing on the modem/router and my laptop shows a
strong wireless signal.

Wireless network adapter not set to pick up an IP address from the
router? DHCP server not running on the router?

Encryption key wrong?

Sometimes it doesn't tell you and in XP you get no connectivity and an
automatically assigned IP address the router doesn't know about, which
is SFA use to anybody.

Try it with all encryption turned off, and work forwards from there.

My encryption is still turned off (it saved a lot of grief) but I
live in a cul-de-sac well back from the road and the wireless signal
doesn't even get all through the house.

DG

Old April 29th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message
at 21:26:25 on Sun, 29 Apr 2007, AJH wrote
I'm tempted to do the same as there does seem to be a speed overhead
with WEP and I'm having a lot of trouble getting my Acer aspire 1363
to configure WPA/PSK on the Netgear dg834pn my brother has lent me to
check its "rangemax" feature, on the surface no better than a bt
voyager.

What mode are you running your wireless in, e.g. g&b, b, 108Mbps etc?

When I first got my router and laptop, I got a DG834GT router and WG511T
PCMCIA card (no wireless built in) and set the speed to "108Mbps only",
as at the time, you'd have needed a compatible device to pick this up

The help for this says "Only compatible 802.11g wireless stations that
support 108Mpbs can connect."

For my new lappy I run in g mode only, although I guess I could get away
with "Auto 108Mbps" - "All 802.11g, 802.11b and Netgear 108Mbps
wireless stations can be used."

What I am saying is, if you're trying to run at the full speed, you may
have compatibility issues. You may want to try changing the channel id
also
--
Mike News
Old April 29th 07, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message
at 22:32:54 on Sun, 29 Apr 2007, AJH wrote
What mode are you running your wireless in, e.g. g&b, b, 108Mbps etc?

Under the settings for the wireless card on the laptop

sorry I meant what mode is your wireless router transmitting under
e.g. when you connect under http://192.168.0.1/start.htm or whatever
your router address is?
--
Mike News
Old April 30th 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"AJH" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:35:40 +0100, Derek Geldard
wrote:

The strange thing is I get http: access despite the wireless icon in
the sys tray saying not connected, is there alternative free licensed
software that's better than the windows xp software for managing a
wireless card and connection?

Use the manufacturer's utility. For instance, I have an Asus wireless
adapter in my laptop and use the Asus software that came with it. My wife
has a BT Voyager USB wireless dongle and we use the BT Voyager software for
that.

John

Old May 1st 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:29:00 +0100, John wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The strange thing is I get http: access despite the wireless icon in
the sys tray saying not connected, is there alternative free licensed
software that's better than the windows xp software for managing a
wireless card and connection?

Use the manufacturer's utility. For instance, I have an Asus wireless
adapter in my laptop and use the Asus software that came with it. My wife
has a BT Voyager USB wireless dongle and we use the BT Voyager software for
that.

Definitely use the supplied drivers. Often they tell you NOT to use the XP
ones. Trouble with those is that they are a catchall that has every conceivable
option for WIFI. Which you can set - even though the card does not support the
option. The end result is no connection, often the AP does not even show up in
the connection scan anymore. Always install the supplied driver *before*
plugging in the hardware and letting Win do its "new hardware" thing and load
the wrong driver.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old May 1st 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

AJH wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:51:35 +0100, Mike
S wrote:

What I am saying is, if you're trying to run at the full speed, you may
have compatibility issues. You may want to try changing the channel id

I've changed channels twice as I can see other networks.

Is there a 'site survey' in your router? Some routers will show you what
channels neighbouring networks are on, so you can avoid them.

I've switched off my windows firewall but I still suspect a firewall
problem, running ipconfig in a dos window is showing media
disconnected

Windows firewall shouldn't cause your computer to think the media is
disconnected, as it operates at a higher layer than the media.

with wpa/psk + wpa2/psk selected on the router.

Try disabling all the security at both ends and working back from there.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:00:07 up 2 days, 19:59, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.72, 0.78