Accessing external IP address of router from LAN / Portforwarding

Old April 29th 07, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

Default Accessing external IP address of router from LAN / Portforwarding

Dunno if this group can help at all but be grateful for any tips.

On a LAN we have a machine (MC1) whose IP address is 192.168.0.50

The router is set-up to port-forward for e.g. http (port 80). So we can
open up an hhtp session on MC1 from anywhere on the internet by
connecting to the router's external IP address.

e.g. http://245.xxx.yyy.zzz:80

Now if we try that address from within the LAN (i.e. behind the router)
we just get a timeout.

I would like to be able to have a single IP address (or virtual host)
that can be accessed consistently whether inside our outside the
network. Is it an issue with the configuration of the router? Be
grateful for any pointers.

Thanks.

--
jeremy
Old April 29th 07, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

In news: - Jeremy wrote
:
Dunno if this group can help at all but be grateful for any tips.

On a LAN we have a machine (MC1) whose IP address is 192.168.0.50

The router is set-up to port-forward for e.g. http (port 80). So we
can open up an hhtp session on MC1 from anywhere on the internet by
connecting to the router's external IP address.

e.g.
http://245.xxx.yyy.zzz:80

Now if we try that address from within the LAN (i.e. behind the
router) we just get a timeout.

I would like to be able to have a single IP address (or virtual host)
that can be accessed consistently whether inside our outside the
network. Is it an issue with the configuration of the router? Be
grateful for any pointers.

Thanks.

--
jeremy

This would be a loop back problem !!

If it's a window machine edit the host files on all machines that need to
access it local.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old April 30th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

In article , Joker7 says...
In news: - Jeremy wrote
:
[...]

What I am really after is a means by which one address can be used by
anyone who needs to access it from any location without any hosts file
editing.

--
jeremy
Old April 30th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Jeremy" wrote in message
t...
In article , Joker7 says...
In news: - Jeremy wrote
:
[...]

Then you'll have to buy a router that supports loopback - not all do.

John

Old May 1st 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

In article , John says...

Then you'll have to buy a router that supports loopback - not all do.

John

ok thanks for the suggestion
--
jeremy
Old May 2nd 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/05/2007 20:42, Jeremy wrote:
In article , John says...

Then you'll have to buy a router that supports loopback - not all do.

John

ok thanks for the suggestion

The draytek range are very good - I use a few of these and they all
support loopback as well as all the normal port forwarding etc..

http://www.draytek.co.uk