SDSL

Old April 30th 07, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

Default SDSL

Anyone out there using it, need recommendations for suppliers, looking
to provide a 1:1 point to point VPN solution to run remote MS-SQL
clients off.
--
Clint Sharp
Old April 30th 07, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Clint Sharp wrote:
Anyone out there using it, need recommendations for suppliers, looking
to provide a 1:1 point to point VPN solution to run remote MS-SQL
clients off.

1:1 contention? Do you also want a decent SLA? If so, you should
probably be looking at a leased line rather than SDSL.

Old April 30th 07, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
Anyone out there using it, need recommendations for suppliers,
looking to provide a 1:1 point to point VPN solution to run remote
MS-SQL clients off.

1:1 contention? Do you also want a decent SLA? If so, you should
probably be looking at a leased line rather than SDSL.

OK, so suggestions for suppliers and possible pricing?
--
Clint Sharp
Old April 30th 07, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
Anyone out there using it, need recommendations for suppliers,
looking to provide a 1:1 point to point VPN solution to run remote
MS-SQL clients off.

1:1 contention? Do you also want a decent SLA? If so, you should
probably be looking at a leased line rather than SDSL.

OK, so suggestions for suppliers and possible pricing?

Where it is going to/from (you mention ptp, so both ends?) and what
amount of bandwidth?
Old April 30th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
Anyone out there using it, need recommendations for suppliers,
looking to provide a 1:1 point to point VPN solution to run remote
MS-SQL clients off.

1:1 contention? Do you also want a decent SLA? If so, you should
probably be looking at a leased line rather than SDSL.

OK, so suggestions for suppliers and possible pricing?

Where it is going to/from (you mention ptp, so both ends?) and what
amount of bandwidth?

End to end is about 1/2 mile in Manchester city centre, software house
recommends 2Mb (don't believe them but that's another story completely.)
--
Clint Sharp
Old April 30th 07, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Clint Sharp wrote:
End to end is about 1/2 mile in Manchester city centre, software house
recommends 2Mb (don't believe them but that's another story completely.)

You'll probably be looking at BT, Virgin Media (NTL), C2internet or
Verizon (MCI) as I think that will all have nearby plant.
Old April 30th 07, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
Anyone out there using it, need recommendations for suppliers, looking
to provide a 1:1 point to point VPN solution to run remote MS-SQL
clients off.

1:1 contention? Do you also want a decent SLA? If so, you should
probably be looking at a leased line rather than SDSL.

OK, so suggestions for suppliers and possible pricing?

Where it is going to/from (you mention ptp, so both ends?) and what amount
of bandwidth?

End to end is about 1/2 mile in Manchester city centre, software house
recommends 2Mb (don't believe them but that's another story completely.)
--
Clint Sharp

Hi,

If you're looking for SDSL then you can check the availability using the BT
SDSL checker:

http://users.plus.net/QL:4A6DAA86

2Mbps SDSL has pretty tight limits so worth doing a preliminary check to see
if it's available.

Old April 30th 07, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

We're using 2mb SDSL from Demon, 1:1 contention, so it's all ours. We have
this at our hq building for homeworker vpns, homeworkers use adsl their
ends, check the Demon website for details and prices, I think it's just over
6K a year from memory.

We're also looking at point-to-point by radio, 40mb + with line of sight,
maybe less if not but will depend on ground and buildings, trees etc in
between two locations. Cost for this setup is about the same for 2mb SDSL
for a year, but no ongoing charges as you buy the kit so after year 1
there's no additional cost. I've no connection with them but you could try
http://www.apcsolutionsuk.com, could work out cheaper than SDSL and leased
line.

Steve

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Paul Cupis
writes

Old April 30th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:32:03 +0100, Clint Sharp
wrote:

End to end is about 1/2 mile in Manchester city centre, software house
recommends 2Mb (don't believe them but that's another story completely.)

BT EES 10 LR (if on same exchange) or EES 10 LA (if different
exchanges but 3.5km radial distance) will be cheaper than E1 point to
point and gives you 10Mbps Ethernet (no routers required unless you
need layer 3 connectivity between sites - and even then an inexpensive
router at one of the sites will suffice) rather than E1 (pair of
routers with X21 interfaces required, extra expense and fiddling
around). It comes with a good SLA too, unlike SDSL.

I should add at this point that we can provide these for less than BT
retail would charge

Clint - I'm sure I recognise your name, I think we may have spoken
about other things in the past, perhaps a year and half ago.

Jake
--
Address munged but valid - remove mungbeans.
Old May 2nd 07, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message ,
PlusNet Support Team writes
Hi,

If you're looking for SDSL then you can check the availability using
the BT SDSL checker:

http://users.plus.net/QL:4A6DAA86

2Mbps SDSL has pretty tight limits so worth doing a preliminary check
to see if it's available.

Already done, both ends are within 250m of the relevant exchanges (one
end has no lines *yet* though)
--
Clint Sharp