Free SMTP?

Old May 2nd 07, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Smeagol

Default Free SMTP?

Is there a free, reliable SMTP server? Preferably one which doesn't require registration etc.

Thanks.
--
Smeagol

Old May 2nd 07, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"smeagol" wrote in message
Is there a free, reliable SMTP server? Preferably one which doesn't
require registration etc.

Thanks.
--
Smeagol

You may not find one due to the problem with spam.

Old May 2nd 07, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

smeagol wrote:
Is there a free, reliable SMTP server? Preferably one which doesn't require registration etc.

You could sign up for a gmail account or as suggested elsewhere use your
ISPs. Both of these though require registration of some description.

An SMTP server that requires no authentication and doesn't rely on where
you're connecting from is for all intents and purposes an open relay
anyway. This would result in your email being blocked by a lot of mail
providers who use spamming blacklists to reject email.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_relay

Kind Rgds,

Old May 2nd 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

smeagol wrote:
Is there a free, reliable SMTP server? Preferably one which doesn't require registration etc.

Depends to whom you are sending mail.

If you're sending me mail, you're welcome to use my SMTP server, however if you...

1. are connected via a dynamic IP address
2. are sending mail addressed to another domain
3. are in the Spamhaus.org SBL or XBL
4. have previously attempted to send me spam, or have been sufficiently
annoying to get onto the blacklist
or
5. are located in south america, taiwan, china, and assorted other
'problematic' network zones, and not on my whitelist

then you will either be told what you can do with your mail, get ECONNREFUSED,
or ETIMEDOUT, for which I make absolutely no apology.

If you are connected via a dynamic IP address, then there are few mail servers
out there that will want to talk to you. Unfortunately, these few are still way
too many in number.

So, if you are not willing to use the SMTP service provided by your ISP, which
may be because
A. It's terrible (which given the cost-cutting nature of many ISP's is
understandable)
or
B. They have barred you from doing so for some reason,
then your only recourse is probably to register/transfer your domain somewhere
and use authenticated SMTP to send mail.
Old May 2nd 07, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , smeagol
writes
Is there a free, reliable SMTP server? Preferably one which doesn't
require registration etc.

GBP10/year cheap enough? - investigate the Clara offering mentioned here
recently - needs registration though.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old May 2nd 07, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"smeagol" wrote in message
Is there a free, reliable SMTP server? Preferably one which doesn't
require registration etc.

Thanks.
--
Smeagol

I have a fixed IP on my ADSL with reverse DNS and I run my own SMTP server
using the free version of Argosoft mail server.
It is set to only connect to computers on this side of the firewall so its
totally safe from spammers.

This option will only work if your IP is fixed, you have reverse DNS and
your IP is not listed as dynamic on any blacklists.
In many ways though its the ultimate solution because you can look at your
own log files and see if mail is being accepted at the other end.

--

Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

Old May 2nd 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Jim Howes" wrote in message

B. They have barred you from doing so for some reason,
then your only recourse is probably to register/transfer your domain
somewhere
and use authenticated SMTP to send mail.

You could also get a web hosting account that has authenticated SMTP and get
your own domain name which would solve the problem.

Old May 2nd 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 2 May, 10:13, "smeagol" wrote:
Is there a free, reliable SMTP server? Preferably one which doesn't require registration etc.

Hmmm; why would you want one ? Up to no good ? :-)

I expect no-one does offer that...and certainly no-one should.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Anderton

In message , smeagol
writes
Is there a free, reliable SMTP server? Preferably one which doesn't
require registration etc.

Thanks.

There are various Free SMTP Servers which you can run as localhost on
your own machine. I run an SMTP server on my laptop so I don't have to
search around for one when I am travelling. It picks up whatever DNS is
available. This predates when my ISP started offering Authenticated SMTP
and it has always worked well.
--
Richard Anderton