FRITZ!Box Fon (Annex A)

Old May 2nd 07, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

Default FRITZ!Box Fon (Annex A)

After taking the great advice proffered here, I located an EU FRITZ!
Box Fon (Annex A) on e-bay. I purchased same, and it arrived here in
the US last night.

Unfortunately the software and documentation are all in German. I
don't read German! :-)

Can any one here help me set it up in LAN mode for UK telephone
numbers and UK standard telephones?

Some advice, a pointer to some English language software and
documentation would be great. Or better yet, is there anyone who could
send me a zipped copy of both?

Thanks guys

Adrian

Old May 3rd 07, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

declared for all the world to hear...

www.avm.dethen click on "english"
--
Regards
Jon- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Jon,

Software Downloaded.

Adrian

Old May 3rd 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

On May 2, 4:21 pm, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message

et

declared for all the world to
hear...

After taking the great advice proffered here, I located
an EU FRITZ! Box Fon (Annex A) on e-bay. I purchased
same, and it arrived here in the US last night.

Unfortunately the software and documentation are all in
German. I don't read German! :-)

Can any one here help me set it up in LAN mode for UK
telephone numbers and UK standard telephones?

Some advice, a pointer to some English language
software and documentation would be great. Or better
yet, is there anyone who could send me a zipped copy of
both?

Thanks guys

www.avm.dethen click on "english"

Assuming the non-wireless Fritz!Box Fon, the download page is here
(Tinyurl used for long link):

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2v8qcd

Once downloaded, you need to go to the Firmware Upgrade screen to install
it, this is located under System, not sure what that is in German..!

Ivor- Hide quoted text -

Appreciated Ivor,

Yes, mine is the non-wireless version. I plan to eventually go for a
US wireless router. Such would be less likely to have compatibility
issues with my US notebook.

Unfortunately, when I came to plug in my Fritz!box last night, I
discovered that the protruding tip and ring conductor on my US power
supply is too short for the unit. So this weekend I will try to track
down an appropriate connector,

Adrian

Old May 5th 07, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Adrian" wrote in message
ps.com...

After taking the great advice proffered here, I located an EU FRITZ!
Box Fon (Annex A) on e-bay. I purchased same, and it arrived here in
the US last night.

Unfortunately the software and documentation are all in German. I
don't read German! :-)

Adrian
I do not have experience with English software, or with converting german
boxes into English
Howeevr I speak german and english, and I have already helped english
speaking usres to set-up theor boxes
If you need any help, pls do not hesitate to e-mail me or give me a call ...
Philippe
philippe dot deleye at advalvas dot be

Old May 6th 07, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

On May 5, 12:12 am, "Philippe Deleye"
wrote:

Adrian
I do not have experience with English software, or with converting german
boxes into English
Howeevr I speak german and english, and I have already helped english
speaking usres to set-up theor boxes
If you need any help, pls do not hesitate to e-mail me or give me a call ...
Philippe
philippe dot deleye at advalvas dot be

Thanks Philippe,

Well I do need some help. I am hoping that you, Jon, or Ivor can help
me over the last hurdles.

First a recap: Over the weekend I picked up a power supply unit. For
USD11.00 Sandy's Electronics sold me a 120v to 12v converter with the
appropriate tip and ring connector.

Then I set about customizing the Fritz box. I found the only way to
mess with the firmware, and settings, in the box was to have my
Notebook plugged into the LAN or USB connector on the box itself.
This initially meant that I was not connected to the internet.

First, I loaded the firmware and reset set the box to utilize the LAN
port for connecting to my router. I unplugged my Notebook and
connected the box to the router thru the LAN port. It recognized the
connection and the DSL light came on. So far so good! At this point
I also had Internet access thru the box!

However, from this point on I had to sit next to the shelf containing
my various routers and ATAs with my notebook connected to the Fritz!
box by a short length of USB cable. :-)

Using the information provided by AQL (my VoIP service provider) I was
able to register the VoIP number and Password utilizing the SIP URL.
At least the box says it made the connection.

Then I checked the telephony options. I set the region to "United
Kingdom". I am using UK kit on UK numbers. The box says that that
both phone ports are "looking @" my AQL VoIP account. But, no
telephone lights are "on" on the box. The only lights "on" are power
and DSL. Moreover when I plug in a telephone set, I only hear an "Out
of Service" tone. I am unable to dial or receive calls.

Something is missing here, I know. But, after several hours of what
my American Tech. friends call a "Nosebleed", I have had enough. So
any suggestions? I will attack the issue again later in the week.

Many thanks

Adrian

Old May 7th 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Adrian" wrote in message
oups.com

[snip]

Then I checked the telephony options. I set the region
to "United Kingdom". I am using UK kit on UK numbers.
The box says that that both phone ports are "looking @"
my AQL VoIP account. But, no telephone lights are "on"
on the box. The only lights "on" are power and DSL.
Moreover when I plug in a telephone set, I only hear an
"Out of Service" tone. I am unable to dial or receive
calls.

They are the only lights that should be on in standby mode. The fixed line
and internet phone LEDs only come on while a call is in progress, the
internet one should light when you lift the handset of a connected phone.
What are you calling an "out of service" tone..? Note that the Fritz uses
German tones, irrespective of the regional settings, so the dial tone
sounds very similar to the UK number unobtainable tone.

If you can configure a Sipgate account, try calling my speaking clock on
1431320.

Ivor

Old May 13th 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SBS

Adrian ) ha scritto:

:: After taking the great advice proffered here, I located
:: an EU FRITZ! Box Fon (Annex A) on e-bay.
:: I purchased same, and it arrived here in the US last night.

Can you tell us the ebay nickname of the seller, please?

And please look at the silver label on the bottom of the
device and tell us if there is wrote "Annex A", thanks.

Old May 13th 07, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

On May 7, 9:17 am, "Ivor Jones" wrote:

They are the only lights that should be on in standby mode. The fixed line
and internet phone LEDs only come on while a call is in progress, the
internet one should light when you lift the handset of a connected phone.
What are you calling an "out of service" tone..? Note that the Fritz uses
German tones, irrespective of the regional settings, so the dial tone
sounds very similar to the UK number unobtainable tone.

If you can configure a Sipgate account, try calling my speaking clock on
1431320.

Ivor

Thanks Ivor,

I think we need an area code with that speaking clock number. :-)

After more frustrating hours of messing with this I am able to dial
the Fritz from another Line. Moreover, I can dial out with it. But
once a connection is established I can hear nothing at the Fritz end.
If I speak into the telephone plugged into the Frit!box the remote
phone can hear me. I can never hear the other party from the Frirz.

For example if I dial my voicemail account thru the Fritz!boz and AQL,
I can hear a ringing tone. When voicemail picks up I hear nothing.

Adrian