A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

VirginMedia throttling across the whole network



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 3rd 07, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network

I said it wud happen )
Just a marketin thing, can't supply it, it just looks good.

Crisis meetings, and mass cancellations all over again.

It didn't take long for NTL to ruin the Virgin brand name that they were
hiding behind )

  #2  
Old May 3rd 07, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 77
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network

On 3 May, 09:51, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote:
I said it wud happen )
Just a marketin thing, can't supply it, it just looks good.

Crisis meetings, and mass cancellations all over again.

It didn't take long for NTL to ruin the Virgin brand name that they were
hiding behind )


Uumm...... WHAT???

Virgin Media are using traffic shaping across the UK to around 5% of
there customer base who exced a limit during peak time.

'During peak times, the top 5% of broadband Size: XL customers
download/upload at least 3Gb of information each.

So, any broadband Size: XL customers who hit 3Gb of uploads or
downloads during peak times will have their download speed temporarily
set to 5Mb and their upload speed set to 256Kb.

The limit will last for 4 hours.

Even if a Broadband Size: XL user has their speed temporarily managed,
they can still download over 4,000 music files per day.'

Sounds ok to me!!! (better than a download cap) & it's still
Unlimited!!!

  #3  
Old May 3rd 07, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network


"Xeonwales" wrote in message
ups.com...

Uumm...... WHAT???

Virgin Media are using traffic shaping across the UK to around 5% of
there customer base who exced a **limit** during peak time.


The **limit** will last for 4 hours.

Sounds ok to me!!! (better than a download cap) & it's still
Unlimited!!!


I've highlighted some points in your post.
It'll help answer where you said "it's still Unlimited!!!"

  #4  
Old May 3rd 07, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xeonwales
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 77
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network

On 3 May, 10:46, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote:
"Xeonwales" wrote in message

ups.com...



Uumm...... WHAT???


Virgin Media are using traffic shaping across the UK to around 5% of
there customer base who exced a **limit** during peak time.
The **limit** will last for 4 hours.


Sounds ok to me!!! (better than a download cap) & it's still
Unlimited!!!


I've highlighted some points in your post.
It'll help answer where you said "it's still Unlimited!!!"


Uumm.... if you are a Virgin Media ADSL customer & you exceded the FUP
(40Gb), they can stop you using the service untill next month. This
service is limited.

On cable, if you go over the 3Gb limit during peak time, they 1/2 your
speed for a masive....... 4hours!!!! Oo no, 4 hours with only a 5Mb
connection, what will we do??


  #5  
Old May 3rd 07, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network


"Xeonwales" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 3 May, 10:46, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote:
"Xeonwales" wrote in message

ups.com...



Uumm...... WHAT???


Virgin Media are using traffic shaping across the UK to around 5%
of
there customer base who exced a **limit** during peak time.
The **limit** will last for 4 hours.


Sounds ok to me!!! (better than a download cap) & it's still
Unlimited!!!


I've highlighted some points in your post.
It'll help answer where you said "it's still Unlimited!!!"


Uumm.... if you are a Virgin Media ADSL customer & you exceded the FUP
(40Gb), they can stop you using the service untill next month. This
service is limited.

On cable, if you go over the 3Gb limit during peak time, they 1/2 your
speed for a masive....... 4hours!!!! Oo no, 4 hours with only a 5Mb
connection, what will we do??


You was the one who started the 'limit' thing, and even then you say
that it isn't limited, but at the same time say that it is.
I originally said that they were throttling, which you agreed only comes
into play at certain limits, and then applies certain limits.

I don't understand what you're tryin to argue about, when all you're
basically doin is agreein with me anyway.

  #6  
Old May 3rd 07, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,222
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network



Gonz wrote:

I said it wud happen )
Just a marketin thing, can't supply it, it just looks good.

Crisis meetings, and mass cancellations all over again.


Cancellations of what ?

Graham

  #7  
Old May 3rd 07, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network

"We found that this small minority of customers were actually
downloading or uploading enough information to significantly affect the
service for other customers' broadband service. To put it another way,
just 5% of customers were affecting the service for the other 95%"

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html


When they say that 5% of customers are the reason for the throttling,
they are in effect saying that they actually know who they are.
(just 5% of customers were affecting the service for the other 95%)
But by using the same theory and restricting the 5% of customers who are
affecting the service for others, they are actually going to restrict
anyone and everyone who is using their connection at its max capacity,
because when the top 5% get throttled, another 5% will take that top 5%
spot that is now vacant, and will themselves be throttled.
Around in circles, and punishing everybody, not the 5% they seem to
blame for the reason that they have to do this for in the first place.

  #8  
Old May 3rd 07, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network


"Eeyore" wrote in message
...


Gonz wrote:

I said it wud happen )
Just a marketin thing, can't supply it, it just looks good.

Crisis meetings, and mass cancellations all over again.


Cancellations of what ?


Errr... Virgin?

  #9  
Old May 3rd 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network

The 20Mb package will be reduced to 5Mb.
This will last for 4 hours.

Just workin that out on how an average user is goin to lose out, is a
good enuff reason why many payin a premium 37 for, will come to the
conclusion that it's over priced and a rip off.

  #10  
Old May 3rd 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 529
Default VirginMedia throttling across the whole network


On 3-May-2007, Eeyore wrote:

Just a marketin thing, can't supply it, it just looks good.


Lack of capacity, through beancounters spending vast sums on
advertising, and not on bandwidth which would improve the service.

Beancounter say with the customers locked into contracts
they can't readily vote with their feet.

Can't see how they can hope to offer streaming video if
they can't cope now.

IMHO broadband was flawed from the start, it should
have offered a routed broadband service, then comparing
and changing ISP's would be simple. It also needed
a built in bit error rate test, so the customer could
initiate loopback, get the result, and email it to his
ISP, saying "fix it".
One great thing about dialup routing was that you
could try other ISP's using PAYG before committing
yourself.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NTLworld newsgroups closed, Virginmedia news server AWOL Frazer Jolly Goodfellow uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 March 14th 07 12:36 AM
blueyonder and the throttling Gonz uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 December 12th 06 09:03 AM
Port throttling Keith uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 3 June 15th 05 09:29 AM
Throttling question Mark W uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 December 11th 03 09:38 PM
Throttling Bandwidth?? Fry uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 October 20th 03 09:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.