How do you set a public ip address on a 2wire router??

Old May 3rd 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,comp.dcom.xdsl,bellsouth.net.support.adsl,alt.internet.wireless,comp.dcom.xdsl
eggedd2k

Default How do you set a public ip address on a 2wire router??

We've just purchased a 2wire 2700 router from BT (uk isp). It's to
replace our existing basic router.

We've configured the new router and all workstations in the office
have internet access no problem.

We have an exchange server to which all incoming e-mail traffic is
sent to via one of our public ip addresss (via mx record).
Additionally we also have some remote users that connect to our
network via the same static ip address.

Does anyone know how we can tell the 2wire router to use our choice of
static ip addresses?

the closes we've come to so far is in the edit address allocation
screen - we can select the computer on our network but when we choose
the public address from the "wan ip mapping" dropdown menu we get an
error saying "for the public routed subinterface only one wan ip
mapping is allowed" - we've not actually created any yet though!

to cut a long story short we just need to configure a static public ip
on our router which makes it accessible from the internet.

thanks in advance!

Old May 3rd 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,comp.dcom.xdsl,bellsouth.net.support.adsl,alt.internet.wireless,comp.dcom.xdsl
Mr. Arnold

"eggedd2k" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've just purchased a 2wire 2700 router from BT (uk isp). It's to
replace our existing basic router.

We've configured the new router and all workstations in the office
have internet access no problem.

We have an exchange server to which all incoming e-mail traffic is
sent to via one of our public ip addresss (via mx record).
Additionally we also have some remote users that connect to our
network via the same static ip address.

Does anyone know how we can tell the 2wire router to use our choice of
static ip addresses?

You call the tech support of the manufacture of the device on how to
configure it. That is what they are for is for you to use hem in this
situation.

the closes we've come to so far is in the edit address allocation
screen - we can select the computer on our network but when we choose
the public address from the "wan ip mapping" dropdown menu we get an
error saying "for the public routed subinterface only one wan ip
mapping is allowed" - we've not actually created any yet though!

The message means what it is indicating. That only one Wide Area Network
IP/Internet facing IP from the ISP can be used to route/map traffic to a LAN
IP/machine.

to cut a long story short we just need to configure a static public ip
on our router which makes it accessible from the internet.

I don't think you have a solution/device that's not powerful enough to do
what you need to be doing. You need a high-end firewall router or a low-end
firewall appliance or maybe a mid-range firewall appliance, which none of
them are a wireless solution.

You don't use a wireless solution to protect a business. You don't use
something that's for the home consumer market trying to protect a business
with it. You get a business class solution.

You should understand the selection process before you run out and try to
buy something that's going to fit the needs.

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

You should understand *What does a firewall do?*, because the solution you
have may not even be in the ballpark.

http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/r...irewalls1.html

Old May 3rd 07, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,comp.dcom.xdsl,bellsouth.net.support.adsl,alt.internet.wireless,comp.dcom.xdsl
Jeff Liebermann

eggedd2k hath wroth:

5 newsgroups is a bit much. This has nothing to do with
alt.internet.wireless.

We've just purchased a 2wire 2700 router from BT (uk isp). It's to
replace our existing basic router.

We've configured the new router and all workstations in the office
have internet access no problem.

We have an exchange server to which all incoming e-mail traffic is
sent to via one of our public ip addresss (via mx record).

Oh-oh. Normally, you would need a static IP address from BT in order
to run a mail server. However, most DDNS providers supply MX record
forwarding. See:
http://www.gpsinformation.org/joe/dynamicdns.html
http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/cat_email.html
It's kinda a mess and a static IP would be much easier and better.
However, it can be done with DDNS.

Additionally we also have some remote users that connect to our
network via the same static ip address.

No, they don't need a static IP address. You can also use DDNS
(dynamic DNS) for these. See:
http://www.technopagan.org/dynamic/
for lists of providers. I prefer dyndns.com and have entries for all
my DSL customers so I can do remote admin.

Does anyone know how we can tell the 2wire router to use our choice of
static ip addresses?

Call BT. If they've issued a dynamic IP account, you may need to
change the account type.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 3rd 07, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
eggedd2k hath wroth:

5 newsgroups is a bit much. This has nothing to do with
alt.internet.wireless.

We've just purchased a 2wire 2700 router from BT (uk isp). It's to
replace our existing basic router.

We've configured the new router and all workstations in the office
have internet access no problem.

We have an exchange server to which all incoming e-mail traffic is
sent to via one of our public ip addresss (via mx record).

Oh-oh. Normally, you would need a static IP address from BT in order
to run a mail server. However, most DDNS providers supply MX record
forwarding. See:

That won't help with sending mail.
many dynamic allocations get blacklisted simply because they should not
normally have mail servers running on them.

--
Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

Old May 3rd 07, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 3 May 2007 18:32:43 +0100, "Gordon Hudson"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .
eggedd2k hath wroth:

5 newsgroups is a bit much. This has nothing to do with
alt.internet.wireless.

We've just purchased a 2wire 2700 router from BT (uk isp). It's to
replace our existing basic router.

We've configured the new router and all workstations in the office
have internet access no problem.

We have an exchange server to which all incoming e-mail traffic is
sent to via one of our public ip addresss (via mx record).

Oh-oh. Normally, you would need a static IP address from BT in order
to run a mail server. However, most DDNS providers supply MX record
forwarding. See:

That won't help with sending mail.
many dynamic allocations get blacklisted simply because they should not
normally have mail servers running on them.

Providing you configure your exchange server to send all mail via your
ISPs SMTP server there shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 3rd 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,comp.dcom.xdsl,bellsouth.net.support.adsl,alt.internet.wireless,comp.dcom.xdsl
SOLOMON

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Get rid of that 2Wire router. You have to call tech support to
configure this router. Go Linksys or Netgear.
Solomon
Old May 3rd 07, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 3 May, 16:51, eggedd2k wrote:
We've just purchased a 2wire 2700 router from BT (uk isp). It's to
replace our existing basic router.

OK

We've configured the new router and all workstations in the office
have internet access no problem.

We have an exchange server to which all incoming e-mail traffic is
sent to via one of our public ip addresss (via mx record).
Additionally we also have some remote users that connect to our
network via the same static ip address.

Does anyone know how we can tell the 2wire router to use our choice of
static ip addresses?

I take it you either have 5 or 13 statics then. Go to the router
interface and local network/advanced settings.

You will see there is a section there for public network - put a tick
in the box, then put the router IP address that BT have allocated
there and its subnet mask. Save settings, then click on the edit
address allocation link within advanced settings, you will be able to
map your mail/vpn server machines to the any one of the valid IPs in
your subnet.

the closes we've come to so far is in the edit address allocation
screen - we can select the computer on our network but when we choose
the public address from the "wan ip mapping" dropdown menu we get an
error saying "for the public routed subinterface only one wan ip
mapping is allowed" - we've not actually created any yet though!

That's why you put your route IP in the public network box mentioned
above first, then this will work.

If you get stuck call tech support on 08456007020 and ask to speak
with the network helpdesk.

Regards

William MacLeod

Old May 4th 07, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eggedd2k

On 3 May, 20:35, wrote:
On 3 May, 16:51, eggedd2k wrote:

[...]

we did the William - that's where the router gives the message about
using the wan ip (as noted above).

Called BT - they know nothing about configuring this part of the
router - too technical for them it seems.