Switching from Zen to BT Internet

Old May 4th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marcus Houlden

Default Switching from Zen to BT Internet

At the moment I'm using Zen (with an IP Stream 2000 based connection) and a
Draytek 2600VG router. I'm happy enough with both, but I'm considering
taking up work's offer of free BT Total Broadband option 3 (you can probably
guess who I work for). Before I do, a few questions:

I currently have a fixed IP address which I use for various servers. I know
BT doesn't provide them on domestic products so I'd probably have to go for
some kind of dynamic DNS service such as DynDNS or no-ip. Because I also
have a domain with DNS control, would it work to have a *.nukesoft.co.uk
hostname set to point to a CNAME for a dynamic hostname?

Is it compulsory to use a Home Hub, especially if I also go for BT Vision
and Broadband Talk? Detailed technical information about both is hard to
find, but it looks like the hub uses some kind of QoS so BTV doesn't use all
the bandwidth. My Draytek router is fine for most things and supports SIP
based VOIP so I'd prefer to use that given the choice. I know it wouldn't be
supported by BT's helpdesk but I'm not too bothered about that as long as it
would work.

I've also had a read through the Home Hub manual at
http://www.homehub.bt.com/html/user-guide.pdf but it is pretty general and
not really very detailed. Is there anything online with more detail that I
could read through before I decide whether or not to go for it?

The main reason I'm thinking about switching is to save £35/month but I'd be
prepared to stick with Zen if the BT offering is *very* different. My main
concerns are being able to keep using a .nukesoft.co.uk hostname and also be
able to use my Draytek router. Given a choice I'd prefer to just have to
change the username and password (and get DNS and the firewall and QoS
set up) if possible.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
Old May 4th 07, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"Marcus Houlden" wrote in message
[...]

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

What can I say, only one thing. FOOL

But as it sounds like it's free go for it, but you know you cannot go back
to your current service.

Anyway good luck.

Old May 5th 07, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Marcus Houlden wrote:
At the moment I'm using Zen (with an IP Stream 2000 based connection) and a
Draytek 2600VG router. I'm happy enough with both, but I'm considering
taking up work's offer of free BT Total Broadband option 3 (you can probably
guess who I work for). Before I do, a few questions:

I'm guessing you work for BT ...

I currently have a fixed IP address which I use for various servers. I know
BT doesn't provide them on domestic products so I'd probably have to go for
some kind of dynamic DNS service such as DynDNS or no-ip. Because I also
have a domain with DNS control, would it work to have a *.nukesoft.co.uk
hostname set to point to a CNAME for a dynamic hostname?

That should work.

Is it compulsory to use a Home Hub, especially if I also go for BT Vision
and Broadband Talk? Detailed technical information about both is hard to
find, but it looks like the hub uses some kind of QoS so BTV doesn't use all
the bandwidth. My Draytek router is fine for most things and supports SIP
based VOIP so I'd prefer to use that given the choice. I know it wouldn't be
supported by BT's helpdesk but I'm not too bothered about that as long as it
would work.

So you work for BT and can't get technical information? What hope have
the rest of us got!!!

The "hub" probably uses QoS to guarantee bandwidth for BTV rather than
make sure it doesn't hog all the bandwidth. At least, that's how I'd do
it if I were provisioning a real-time feed ofsome sort (eg. a VoIP feed!)

I've also had a read through the Home Hub manual at
http://www.homehub.bt.com/html/user-guide.pdf but it is pretty general and
not really very detailed. Is there anything online with more detail that I
could read through before I decide whether or not to go for it?

The main reason I'm thinking about switching is to save £35/month but I'd be
prepared to stick with Zen if the BT offering is *very* different. My main
concerns are being able to keep using a .nukesoft.co.uk hostname and also be
able to use my Draytek router. Given a choice I'd prefer to just have to
change the username and password (and get DNS and the firewall and QoS
set up) if possible.

Have you checked your Zen usage stats? Are you using 20GB a month? If
so, upgrade to Zen-MAX and save yourself a tenner a month (it's £25pcm,
but capped at 20GB per month)

However if you're a p2p enthusiast, that might not work out for you.

I'd stick to Zen myself.

Your 2600 has QoS controls too, (I have one) so you could use that with
the BT service, I guess - all you'd need to do is work out what the
ports/protocol they use for BTV and add that into your existing QoS
services. And if there's a fault, then just plug the BT unit back in.

Gordon (a happy Zen customer)
Old May 5th 07, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

With Zen you have quality service and first class technical support. Given
your need to even discuss the matter here, you would be better staying with
Zen rather than going for a move to BT. Even if the BT product were free I
would not touch it with a bargepole unless BT also provided me with a second
phone line on which to install it - no for you, they might just do that!

--
Graham J

Old May 5th 07, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Gordon Henderson wrote:

So you work for BT and can't get technical information? What hope
have the rest of us got!!!

Actually he is right. I've got the same decision to make, over the
next couple of months, & I have phoned the contact line to be told
that the person to take any queries up with is my Lev.1 the most
untechnical person I know. As for BT Vision I've actually found out
more by going to a John Lewis store than what has been forthcoming
from the great conglomerate.

All supposed technical imformation has been dumbed down so much that
it is virtually worthless.. I can't even find out whether the VOIP
phone will still work if the Wifi is turned off (not as obviouse as it
first looks, as it is supposedly a dect phone so may or may not).

The only good thing about it is that the people who already have a DSL
service, but not with BT Broadband thru direct payment from their
wages, are way down in the list so hopefully some of the questions
will be answered by my colleagues problems before I have to jump

Old May 6th 07, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

I'm in the same boat. I currently run my own mail, web & ftp server on a
static IP, using Entanet at £19.99 a month.

This BT offer seems ok, with BT vision in the near future, but I too will
miss the static IP, although there is DynDNS that can solve that problem.

As I've got just under 3 years to go, before I retire, & then the free offer
will no longer be free, I'm in 2 minds, stick with Enta or jump at the
offer.

Life's a bitch, all these problems

Old May 9th 07, 06:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
??

???????????:http://www.hbjjrb.com/
"Marcus Houlden"
.. .
[...]