Virgin hiccup

Old May 5th 07, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
varnish

Default Virgin hiccup

I've got 4MB BB with Virgin Media connected via airport to an Apple G4
Powerbook.

It works fine, and at a reasonable speed most of the time, but there is
a 'hang' before pages are displayed - an
annoying 3/4 seconds. There's a couple of BT wifis close by which I
can log into,
and they doesn't have this pause so I don't have a computer issue.
Is this what I should expect? (Oxford area)

thanks
Old May 5th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , varnish
writes
I've got 4MB BB with Virgin Media connected via airport to an Apple G4
Powerbook.

It works fine, and at a reasonable speed most of the time, but there is
a 'hang' before pages are displayed - an
annoying 3/4 seconds. There's a couple of BT wifis close by which I
can log into,
and they doesn't have this pause so I don't have a computer issue.
Is this what I should expect? (Oxford area)

which DNS servers are you using? do you have DNS servers set in your
router?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old May 5th 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
varnish

dave @ stejonda wrote:

In message , varnish
writes
I've got 4MB BB with Virgin Media connected via airport to an Apple G4
Powerbook.

It works fine, and at a reasonable speed most of the time, but there is
a 'hang' before pages are displayed - an
annoying 3/4 seconds. There's a couple of BT wifis close by which I
can log into,
and they doesn't have this pause so I don't have a computer issue.
Is this what I should expect? (Oxford area)

which DNS servers are you using? do you have DNS servers set in your
router?

thanks for your reply. On the router (Belkin) the 'automatic from
ISP' is ticked. The DNS boxes are blank
Old May 6th 07, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , "[email protected]"
writes

"Alex Brown" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 5 May 2007 14:32:09 +0100, (varnish)
wrote:

I've got 4MB BB with Virgin Media connected via airport to an Apple G4
Powerbook.

It works fine, and at a reasonable speed most of the time, but there is
a 'hang' before pages are displayed - an
annoying 3/4 seconds. There's a couple of BT wifis close by which I
can log into,
and they doesn't have this pause so I don't have a computer issue.
Is this what I should expect? (Oxford area)

Sounds a little odd - if you want to e-mail me some full details
including account info I shall see if I can get someone to investigate
further.

Try changing your DNS servers.. it sounds like they are being slow/losing
packets.

I've exchanged VM's DNS server 194.168.1.100 for one of those from
www.xname.org and whilst it hadn't occurred to me that pages were

NTL's Web cache's also have a reputation for being slow, see
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

(though the Bromley ones seem Ok atm) and that page may be somewhat out
of date now.

--
dave @ stejonda