Whats the consensus on Sky?

Old May 6th 07, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

Default Whats the consensus on Sky?

I finally managed to get my line identified as a BT one (by harassing BT
Wholesale after blagging my way through as an ISP which is not entirely
untrue, but we don't do broadband) so i am now in a position to look for a
domestic type ISP.

I considered Zen, but Sky is available on my exchange with tantalisingly
higher speeds (obviously not guaranteed) its also about half the price.
Is there anything about Sky that I have not seen in the small print that I
should be wary of?
Its only for home use so I am not expecting fantastic performance, but I
still don't want something that has regular periods of no service.

Old May 6th 07, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Gordon Hudson wrote:
I finally managed to get my line identified as a BT one (by harassing BT
Wholesale after blagging my way through as an ISP which is not entirely
untrue, but we don't do broadband) so i am now in a position to look for a
domestic type ISP.

I considered Zen, but Sky is available on my exchange with tantalisingly
higher speeds (obviously not guaranteed) its also about half the price.
Is there anything about Sky that I have not seen in the small print that I
should be wary of?
Its only for home use so I am not expecting fantastic performance, but I
still don't want something that has regular periods of no service.

Best BB ISP I have ever had, and i have had BB pretty close to its
launch.....

Gaz

Old May 7th 07, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

Gordon Hudson wrote:
I finally managed to get my line identified as a BT one (by harassing BT
Wholesale after blagging my way through as an ISP which is not entirely
untrue, but we don't do broadband) so i am now in a position to look for a
domestic type ISP.

I considered Zen, but Sky is available on my exchange with tantalisingly
higher speeds (obviously not guaranteed) its also about half the price.
Is there anything about Sky that I have not seen in the small print that I
should be wary of?
Its only for home use so I am not expecting fantastic performance, but I
still don't want something that has regular periods of no service.

I'm about to make the switch, things seem to be getting better after a
very rough start. However, be wary of their e-mail service, the servers
are totally screwed and loads of people can't use their primary e-mail
account at all.

--
regards, James Luff Gamertag: Lufferov
remove 'nospam' to e-mail
Old May 7th 07, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message
I finally managed to get my line identified as a BT one (by harassing BT
Wholesale after blagging my way through as an ISP which is not entirely
untrue, but we don't do broadband) so i am now in a position to look for a
domestic type ISP.

I considered Zen, but Sky is available on my exchange with tantalisingly
higher speeds (obviously not guaranteed) its also about half the price.
Is there anything about Sky that I have not seen in the small print that I
should be wary of?
Its only for home use so I am not expecting fantastic performance, but I
still don't want something that has regular periods of no service.

You're going to get positive and negative comments on the merits of Sky bb.
My mother-in-law has had Sky bb for over 3 months and only had one
interruption to the service. Mind you, that interruption has lasted just
over 3 months to date. That's right fellow bb pickers, Sky just can't get it
to work at all!

Old May 7th 07, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"James Luff" wrote in message
Gordon Hudson wrote:
[...]

Well thats OK as I have my own mail server colocated (as it were) so I
really just need what used to be called a "wires only" service.

Old May 7th 07, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Grumps" wrote in message
[...]

Thats not very good.
I am going to have an overlap in providers for at least a month in case its
rubbish (we have two lines and I will cease the second one totally once I
know the new one is stable).
I do wonder how good something can be for only £10 per month.
I can't see that covering the cost of providing it.
I currently pay about £40 for business type broadband but its overkill for
the house.
The router is needing replaced and I want to go back to one phone line,
thats what has prompted looking at the issue.

Old May 7th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message
I finally managed to get my line identified as a BT one (by harassing BT
Wholesale after blagging my way through as an ISP which is not entirely
untrue, but we don't do broadband) so i am now in a position to look for a
domestic type ISP.

I considered Zen, but Sky is available on my exchange with tantalisingly
higher speeds (obviously not guaranteed) its also about half the price.
Is there anything about Sky that I have not seen in the small print that I
should be wary of?
Its only for home use so I am not expecting fantastic performance, but I
still don't want something that has regular periods of no service.

NO problems with the BB service itself here.
As others have mentioned the email servers are a bit ****.
The other problem I have is a non working password for the portal. At first
this was not a huge problem but now I find that without a proper password
(which I keep requesting) I cannot setup remote record as my viewing card
number is tied to the account I cannot get a password for.

Old May 7th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Grumps wrote:
[...]

It's not unusual, that's all I will say, do a little research & find
out who the CEO is & whang a letter to him with dates & any other
correspondence that may have transpired. It's the way I eventually
got mine fixed..

My problem is now instead of it being 12 months in Sept it's now Dece
& so I will have to pay penalty charges when I take up my companies
good (possibly very good) offer..

Old May 7th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
[...]

Thanks.
I got the email and address of the CEO and another top bod too.
Will get some letters/emails off to them v.soon.

Old May 8th 07, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
[...]

If you signed to a 12 month Contract last Sept. & they couldn't provide the
service for 3 months for whatever reason (I'm only guessing this is what
happened), then the Contract still ends after 12 months. They can't extend
it unilaterally. The only way they can extend it to Dec. is if, after 3
months, you signed up for a new 12 month contract.
(Maybe it was a 2 year Contract, I don't know - but the same principle
applies).

Joe Lee