wireless/wired

Old May 7th 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jewel

Default wireless/wired

I have my two pc's in my spare room connected via a wired router. could I
get a wireless router so I could use my laptop downstairs and yet still keep
the other pcs connected to the original router? (Giving me the option of
wired or wireless)

Old May 7th 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Jewel" wrote in message
I have my two pc's in my spare room connected via a wired router. could I
get a wireless router so I could use my laptop downstairs and yet still

keep
the other pcs connected to the original router? (Giving me the option of
wired or wireless)

Yes. Most wirleless routers have both types of port. If you have spare ports
on existing router you could just add an access point such as:-

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(4913)N...ess-Point.aspx

Old May 7th 07, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jewel

"Jewel" wrote in message
I have my two pc's in my spare room connected via a wired router. could I
get a wireless router so I could use my laptop downstairs and yet still
keep the other pcs connected to the original router? (Giving me the option
of wired or wireless)

To add to that, the router I have is a Draytek 2600WE which is a wireless
router anyway. However it's been connected using a wired connection. how
easy (for a blonde!)is it to convert it to a wireless connection?

Old May 7th 07, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Mon, 7 May 2007 09:09:47 +0100, "Jewel"
mused:

I have my two pc's in my spare room connected via a wired router. could I
get a wireless router so I could use my laptop downstairs and yet still keep
the other pcs connected to the original router? (Giving me the option of
wired or wireless)

Yep (providing the range is acceptable and the construction of the
house allows a decent wireless signal and the card in the laptop is
reasonably good etc...).
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 7th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Jewel" wrote in message

"Jewel" wrote in message
I have my two pc's in my spare room connected via a wired router. could I
get a wireless router so I could use my laptop downstairs and yet still
keep the other pcs connected to the original router? (Giving me the option
of wired or wireless)

To add to that, the router I have is a Draytek 2600WE which is a wireless
router anyway. However it's been connected using a wired connection. how
easy (for a blonde!)is it to convert it to a wireless connection?

As you say, the Draytek 2600WE is a wireless router with 4 ethernet ports
for a wired connection.

You continue to use the 2 PCs in the spare room connected using the ethernet
cables, and you configure the router to enable wireless so that you can use
the laptop downstairs. Essentially this only requires you to tick the box
on the router configuration page, however we would all suggest you set up
security so that only you can use the wireless connection.

Given that you are a blonde, I suggest you find somebody who can read the
manual; and get that person to hep you. Do you know any brunettes? Or even
another blonde? Between you, you should be able to understand the manual.

--
Graham J

Old May 7th 07, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jewel

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 May 2007 09:09:47 +0100, "Jewel"
mused:

I have my two pc's in my spare room connected via a wired router. could I
get a wireless router so I could use my laptop downstairs and yet still
keep
the other pcs connected to the original router? (Giving me the option of
wired or wireless)

Yep (providing the range is acceptable and the construction of the
house allows a decent wireless signal and the card in the laptop is
reasonably good etc...).
--
Regards,
Stuart.

OK, I started by going to the wireless network connection wizard. I got as
far as saving the settings to flash drive then it says
Your network settings are saved to the flash drive. Now follow these steps:
1. Plug the flash drive into your wireless access point. Many devices will
blink their lights three times when the transfer is complete; otherwise wait
30 seconds.

But my router doesn't have a USB connector as far as I can see - or is it
meant to go somewhere else?

Old May 7th 07, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
meggahurtz

"Lurch" wrote in message
Yep (providing the range is acceptable and the construction of the
house allows a decent wireless signal and the card in the laptop is
reasonably good etc...).

If not get one of those homplug ethernet over powerline adaptors (You`ll
need 2 one at the router other at the pc)/

Old May 7th 07, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jewel

"Graham" wrote in message

"Jewel" wrote in message

"Jewel" wrote in message
[...]

LOL, sorry, I'm not a natural blonde so do you think that will help??
I've looked at the manual and don't understand it.
Maybe I'll just leave well alone