Which Cable Cat5e or Cat6???

Old May 7th 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Andrew Gabriel

Default Which Cable Cat5e or Cat6???

In article ,
G a z . writes:
I am thinking of renewing all the phone cables in our house, which are
wired in from our side of the BT Master Socket, I also intend to purchase
an XTE-2000 Master Faceplate together with a 68mm filtered socket both from
ADSL nation.

Now my question is this which cable would be the best for the job.

Cat5e (which I would have to buy).

or

Cat6 (which I can get for free in any amount)

The Cat6 is high quality *British Made* cable, made by a local firm.

So what would the more experienced amongst the regulars recommend!

Both Cat 5e and Cat 6 are over spec'ed for phone usage (which uses
Cat 3), but they'll work just fine.

If you are going to this effort, you should consider installing a
proper structured cabling infrastructure if you have any interest
in computing or multi-media. Cat 6 cabling will be more future-proof,
although you terminate it with cheaper Cat 5e accessories for now.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old May 7th 07, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Helen Deborah Vecht

[email protected] (Andrew Gabriel)typed

In article ,
G a z . writes:
[...]

Except the OP has stated he can get Cat 6 free anyway.
I can't see why he should consider Cat 5e.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 7th 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Harry Broomhall

G a z . writes:
[...]

Simple. Can he get the required tools and termination systems for
Cat6 free as well.? Plus the expertise to make them?

If not then this will degrade the cat6 on the system, in some cases
to worse than cat5e.

Cat5e is far more forgiving of things not quite being right.

IMHO I'd go for cat5e here - I know *my* skills aren't up to making
cat6 cable runs correctly.

Regards,
Harry.

Old May 7th 07, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Rory

G a z . writes:
[...]

Besides other reasons, Cat5e generally has a smaller cross-section
making the installed cable a bit less visible.
I'd probably sooner fork out a few quid for white CW1308 for this, being
easier to install and a lot less obtrusive. What's the point in
installing Cat6 when the pair from the exchange will be running on u/g,
dropwire, etc...
Old May 8th 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
R. Mark Clayton

"Rory" wrote in message
.uk...
G a z . writes:
I am thinking of renewing all the phone cables in our house, which are
wired in from our side of the BT Master Socket, I also intend to
purchase an XTE-2000 Master Faceplate together with a 68mm filtered
socket
both from ADSL nation.

Now my question is this which cable would be the best for the job.

Cat5e (which I would have to buy).

or

Cat6 (which I can get for free in any amount)

Besides other reasons, Cat5e generally has a smaller cross-section making
the installed cable a bit less visible.
I'd probably sooner fork out a few quid for white CW1308 for this, being
easier to install and a lot less obtrusive. What's the point in installing
Cat6 when the pair from the exchange will be running on u/g, dropwire,
etc...

Because once it gets to your router it turns into 802, which won't go very
far down drop wire.

OTOH as you say Cat5e is easier to install (reasonably easy DIY), and
probably adequate for some time to come, and all the accessories installer
tools etc. are cheaper. Cat5E cable is cheap enough at about 300 per mile.

Old May 8th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Lurch

On Tue, 8 May 2007 13:26:02 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
mused:

"Rory" wrote in message
o.uk...
G a z . writes:
[...]

But this thread is about the cabling before the router, so what the
router does to it doesn't matter.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 9th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
JW

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Both Cat 5e and Cat 6 are over spec'ed for phone usage (which uses
Cat 3), but they'll work just fine.

I thought telephone cabling was "Cat 1" or less! It's
easier to work with than the data-grade stuff - that's the
main advantage. Also, it's cheaper, and you can get it in
different pair quantities.
Old May 9th 07, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Lurch

On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:57:21 +0100, JW mused:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Both Cat 5e and Cat 6 are over spec'ed for phone usage (which uses
Cat 3), but they'll work just fine.

I thought telephone cabling was "Cat 1" or less! It's
easier to work with than the data-grade stuff - that's the
main advantage. Also, it's cheaper, and you can get it in
different pair quantities.

If it's installed correctly, it's cat3.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 13th 07, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Jonathan Buzzard

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Both Cat 5e and Cat 6 are over spec'ed for phone usage (which uses
Cat 3), but they'll work just fine.

I thought telephone cabling was "Cat 1" or less! It's
easier to work with than the data-grade stuff - that's the
main advantage. Also, it's cheaper, and you can get it in
different pair quantities.

If it's installed correctly, it's cat3.

Nope, Cat3 was for 10BaseT and is complete overkill for telephone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_3_cable

As stated, Cat1 is for POTS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_1_cable

Though this does not exclude using Cat3 for telephone, but actually
purchasing Cat3 cable is next to impossible. At work we put POTS down
a fully warranted individually tested Cat6 structured wiring system.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195
Old May 14th 07, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Lurch

On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:55:10 +0100, Jonathan Buzzard
mused:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Both Cat 5e and Cat 6 are over spec'ed for phone usage (which uses
Cat 3), but they'll work just fine.

I thought telephone cabling was "Cat 1" or less! It's
easier to work with than the data-grade stuff - that's the
main advantage. Also, it's cheaper, and you can get it in
different pair quantities.

If it's installed correctly, it's cat3.

Nope, Cat3 was for 10BaseT and is complete overkill for telephone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_3_cable

As stated, Cat1 is for POTS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_1_cable

Though this does not exclude using Cat3 for telephone, but actually
purchasing Cat3 cable is next to impossible. At work we put POTS down
a fully warranted individually tested Cat6 structured wiring system.

But currently cat3 is used for telephone cabling. Overkill or not,
it's the norm at this point in time.
--
Regards,
Stuart.