Linksys WRT54GL + modem/router?

Old May 7th 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Linksys WRT54GL + modem/router?

I've been using a Billion modem/router up until now, but wanted to go
wireless. I bought a Linksys WRT54GL because it came recommended from
a few friends...but now I can't get it to work.

with ethernet cable:
- laptop + Billion is fine.
- laptop - Linksys - Billion: I can successfully ping ip addresses
but not domain names (ie no dns resolution)

I can't find any hint of a wireless signal.

I rang my ISP's (EFHBroadband) support. I told him how it was all set
up, and he seemed to think it's fine. But are there any configuration
changes I need to make to the Billion router - does it need to be set
up just as a modem rather than a router, and is this even possible?

thanks,
Rachel

Old May 7th 07, 06:54 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Larry Finger

Lurch wrote:
On 7 May 2007 09:25:19 -0700, mused:

I've been using a Billion modem/router up until now, but wanted to go
wireless. I bought a Linksys WRT54GL because it came recommended from
a few friends...but now I can't get it to work.

I'd ask sone friends who have a vague idea about computers and
modems\routers and access points.

with ethernet cable:
- laptop + Billion is fine.
- laptop - Linksys - Billion: I can successfully ping ip addresses
but not domain names (ie no dns resolution)

I can't find any hint of a wireless signal.

I rang my ISP's (EFHBroadband) support. I told him how it was all set
up, and he seemed to think it's fine. But are there any configuration
changes I need to make to the Billion router - does it need to be set
up just as a modem rather than a router, and is this even possible?

Ditch the Billion and the Linksys and get a Netgear DG834G or keep the
Billion and get an access point, not a wireless router.

You could get the Linksys to work but I don't see the point.

With both the Billion and the Linksys in, you probably have two DHCP servers and are getting DNS
messed up. You have two choices: (1) Use only the Linksys and ditch the Billion, or (2) disable the
DHCP server on the Linksys (it is on the main configuration page).

Larry

Old May 7th 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Mon, 07 May 2007 16:54:37 GMT, Larry Finger
wrote:

Lurch wrote:
[...]

Assuming the Billion is set to it's normal default ip of 192.168.1.254
and the WRT 54GL is set to 192.168.1.1.

Connect a LAN port on the Billion to a LAN port on the WRT54GL not the
WAN(internet) port. This way the WRT is just being used as a switch
with wireless.

You can access the WRT by going to
http://192.168.1.1 turn off DHCP
and select suitable wireless settings.
Old May 7th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Mon, 07 May 2007 16:54:37 GMT, Larry Finger
mused:

Lurch wrote:
[...]

That wouldn't work as the Linksys has no ADSL modem.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 7th 07, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Connect a LAN port on the Billion to a LAN port on theWRT54GLnot the
WAN(internet) port. This way the WRT is just being used as a switch
with wireless.

You can access the WRT by going to http://192.168.1.1turn off DHCP
and select suitable wireless settings.

I've done this, and I can get access through ethernet now, but not
wireless. What are suitable wireless settings?

Old May 7th 07, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 7 May, 21:08, wrote:
Connect a LAN port on the Billion to a LAN port on theWRT54GLnot the
WAN(internet) port. This way the WRT is just being used as a switch
with wireless.

You can access the WRT by going to http://192.168.1.1turnoff DHCP
and select suitable wireless settings.

I've done this, and I can get access through ethernet now, but not
wireless. What are suitable wireless settings?

Actually, the wii can pick up the network, but it doesn't show up on
the laptop. All I get is the message "No wireless networks were found
in range.

Old May 7th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Doug Jamal

On Mon, 07 May 2007 09:25:19 -0700, pepchick wrote:

I've been using a Billion modem/router up until now, but wanted to go
wireless. I bought a Linksys WRT54GL because it came recommended from
a few friends...but now I can't get it to work.

with ethernet cable:
- laptop + Billion is fine.
- laptop - Linksys - Billion: I can successfully ping ip addresses
but not domain names (ie no dns resolution)

I can't find any hint of a wireless signal.

I rang my ISP's (EFHBroadband) support. I told him how it was all set
up, and he seemed to think it's fine. But are there any configuration
changes I need to make to the Billion router - does it need to be set
up just as a modem rather than a router, and is this even possible?

thanks,
Rachel

Mr. Larry Finger has it right. Disable DHCP on the Linksys if you insist
on keeping the Billion in the mix.

--
Just Me, D
Old May 8th 07, 02:55 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for all your help. Disabling the dhcp server on the linksys
did indeed work. Disabling the laptop's wireless adapter and then re-
enabling it (ie turning it off and on again) allowed the laptop to
pick up the wireless connection.

I'm keeping the Billion because it's what I have, and I don't see the
point of buying a new modem when I've already got something that
works.

The linksys was recommended because of the ease of flashing the
firmware to give it the functionality of a much more expensive
router. I have no immediate plans for this, but may try it sometime
in the future.