Netgear router playing up

Old May 7th 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Seb

Default Netgear router playing up

Hi,

I was recently given a NEtgear DG824M adsl router second hand. I
plugged it in, just to see if it powered up, and nothing seemed odd, I
then unplugged it and moved it so I could plug my laptop into it,
turned it on and the test light wouldnt go out. This didnt happen when
I first turned it on. I think am right in saying the test light should
stay lit for 10 seconds after power-up, but certainly not after a few
hours!
I tried resetting it many times, and then typing 192.168.0.1 into a
browser, as well as pinging it, but nothing changed and there was no
responce.

I wondered if anyone had any tricks up their sleeves to help me get it
working.
I know that if I contact Netgear they'll say it's knackered and offer
a replacement, but then say I cant have it because I'm not the
original owner.

Thanks,
Seb

Old May 7th 07, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Seb" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I don't see why you can't have a replacement. I had a stuffed DLINK router
and phoned them. After a lot of messing about a courier was sent to pick
the old one up and a new one was dropped off.
DLINK shut down all their UK offices, only 2 people work for a press office
in London now. Netgear have a better reputation.
I've never been asked for a receipt or serial number.
What you might find is that the previous owner tried updating the firmware
and buggered it up. People mess with things and then forget to say that
they know exactly wat caused the problem.
If it's corrupted firmware it's easy enough to recover and the utilities are
on the DLINK and EXPANSYS web sites. I did the same to a DLINK G604T and it
took a while to get back in to it.
Once in I updated it with G624T firmware!
Sometimes when you update a router if you don't use the correct firmware it
can default to another IP number like 10.0.0.1 . Have a read on the forums
and you will be able to recover it.

Old May 9th 07, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On 7 May 2007 11:08:51 -0700, Seb wrote:
Hi,

I was recently given a NEtgear DG824M adsl router second hand. I
plugged it in, just to see if it powered up, and nothing seemed odd, I
then unplugged it and moved it so I could plug my laptop into it,
turned it on and the test light wouldnt go out. This didnt happen when
I first turned it on. I think am right in saying the test light should
stay lit for 10 seconds after power-up, but certainly not after a few
hours!
I tried resetting it many times, and then typing 192.168.0.1 into a
browser, as well as pinging it, but nothing changed and there was no
responce.

I wondered if anyone had any tricks up their sleeves to help me get it
working.

Although written for a DG834GT, perhaps similar would work for your
router:
http://dragonslight.altervista.org/f...opic.php?t=133

Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email