Which Cable Cat5e or Cat6???

Old May 8th 07, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom

Default Which Cable Cat5e or Cat6???

On May 7, 10:33 pm, G a z . wrote:
I am thinking of renewing all the phone cables in our house, which are
wired in from our side of the BT Master Socket, I also intend to purchase
an XTE-2000 Master Faceplate together with a 68mm filtered socket both from
ADSL nation.

Now my question is this which cable would be the best for the job.

Cat5e (which I would have to buy).

or

Cat6 (which I can get for free in any amount)

The Cat6 is high quality *British Made* cable, made by a local firm.

So what would the more experienced amongst the regulars recommend!

Many Thanks in advance & Best Wishes as always,

Gaz.

Cat5e, Cat6 is all can used

Old May 8th 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Phil Partridge

In article om,
writes
On May 7, 10:33 pm, G a z . wrote:
I am thinking of renewing all the phone cables in our house, which are
wired in from our side of the BT Master Socket, I also intend to purchase
an XTE-2000 Master Faceplate together with a 68mm filtered socket both from
ADSL nation.

Now my question is this which cable would be the best for the job.

Cat5e (which I would have to buy).

or

Cat6 (which I can get for free in any amount)

The Cat6 is high quality *British Made* cable, made by a local firm.

So what would the more experienced amongst the regulars recommend!

Many Thanks in advance & Best Wishes as always,

Gaz.

Cat5e, Cat6 is all can used

Use the 'free' cable!

Leave a little slack 'in the wall' or neatly coiled in the back-box, and
terminate with 'whatever' you like, or are comfortable with for now..
I would terminate TWO cables to each location, back to a suitable
location with a patch panel, or double faceplates. - Each can accomodate
4 RJ45 sockets..
You can get a 'swing-frame' bracket, which is more than adequate if it
is a cupboard, so won't be seen..

Spend the monies saved on not buying cable on the other bits.. You will
then have a system you can upgrade / modify later.

Have fun,
Philip Partridge