Need new ISP!

Old May 8th 07, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

Default Need new ISP!

With Homecall (Pipex) atm, but getting slowing/dropping every pm-evening;
also stuck on 512k.
The scheme was OK when I started, as 'phone's included and I needed that;
now I hardly use the 'phone, so almost paying 25pcm for BB!

TalkTalk would suit me as a package, but seem no better a company that
Pipex.
The max. here is 2Mb, so don't like the idea of paying for 'up to' 8Mb
(already got that at 512, anyway).

Thanks for any ideas,

P.
--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.
Old May 8th 07, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 8 May, 14:42, PeterC wrote:
With Homecall (Pipex) atm, but getting slowing/dropping every pm-evening;
also stuck on 512k.
The scheme was OK when I started, as 'phone's included and I needed that;
now I hardly use the 'phone, so almost paying 25pcm for BB!

TalkTalk would suit me as a package, but seem no better a company that
Pipex.
The max. here is 2Mb, so don't like the idea of paying for 'up to' 8Mb
(already got that at 512, anyway).

Thanks for any ideas,

P.
--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.

Hi,
As I recall PIPEX was under offer to be taken over. I found my
broadband through http://www.getbroadband-online.co.uk/ and that
speedtest (should you need one) could be found from http://www.speedtest-online.co.uk/
hoping this helps...pappa

PS. Found that Pipex news BlackRock buys 1.64 mln Pipex shares at 13p/
share
LONDON (Thomson Financial) - BlackRock Group said it has bought a
further 1.64 mln shares in Pipex Communications PLC at 13 pence each,
raising its stake in the company to 1.25 pct from 1.19 pct.

Pipex, a broadband and internet hosting business, put itself up for
sale in March and said it was exploring a number of strategic options,
with a final decision expected in early summer.

Carphone Warehouse had dropped out of the bidding for Pipex and left
BT Group as the sole party interested in the company, The Financial
Times reported on April 12. kkb/faj/slj
COPYRIGHT

Copyright AFX News Limited 2007. All rights reserved. The copying,
republication or redistribution of AFX News Content, including by
framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior
written consent of AFX News.

Old May 8th 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

Been looking at suggested sites an NewNet looks good and not to expensive -
any opinions.

Thanks for the links.

Old May 9th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

PeterC wrote:

With Homecall (Pipex) atm, but getting slowing/dropping every pm-evening;
also stuck on 512k.
The scheme was OK when I started, as 'phone's included and I needed that;
now I hardly use the 'phone, so almost paying 25pcm for BB!

TalkTalk would suit me as a package, but seem no better a company that
Pipex.
The max. here is 2Mb, so don't like the idea of paying for 'up to' 8Mb
(already got that at 512, anyway).

Thanks for any ideas

Avoid the big names. They're all almost universally poor. Having said that I'm
moving to Virgin since it's a totally unbeatable deal for existing customers (
8.50 for the 'L' 4 Mbps package ). I wouldn't pay the list price though.

I have been using Idnet and they were very good. A tad more expensive than some
of the other major players (but not by much) and very good performance /service.

Graham

Old May 9th 07, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Eeyore" wrote in message

PeterC wrote:

[...]

You were singing the praises of IDnet until very recently. Is it worth
jumping from frying pan into fire for a few quid a month?
I hope you don't have a bad experience with Virgin.
If you do, I'm sure we'll hear all about it...
;-)

George

Old May 10th 07, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Wed, 09 May 2007 09:19:43 GMT, Eeyore wrote:

PeterC wrote:

[...]

Yes, the big names tend to have small service.
IDnet gets good ratings, so a possibility.

What about Eclipse Internet - anybody used it?

Old May 10th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

PeterC wrote:

[...]

Used to be good but now have rotten technical support, my 1.8 Mbps line
settled down to about 200 Kbps, they couldn't or didn't help. I left for
Zen, best thing I did! Don't touch them with a bargepole!

Roger.

Old May 10th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

George Weston wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

I have been using Idnet and they were very good. A tad more expensive than
some of the other major players (but not by much) and very good performance
/service.

Graham

You were singing the praises of IDnet until very recently.

And I will continue to do so. They are an excellent outfit.

Is it worth jumping from frying pan into fire for a few quid a month?

9 a month plus I no longer need to pay another 1.50 for a news server and I
may get rid of my BT line too. So it could be a saving of over 20 a month.

I hope you don't have a bad experience with Virgin.

It's up and running and thinkbroadband is showing 3778 kbps down and 374 kbps
up. With Idnet it was typically 5-6000 kbps down and and also 374 kbps up.

If you do, I'm sure we'll hear all about it...

The installation was 'interesting' in parts. I'll post a new thread maybe.

Graham