Orange ADSL - do they stop/waylay port 25 (SMTP)?

Old May 8th 07, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Orange ADSL - do they stop/waylay port 25 (SMTP)?

My daughter has Orange ADSL (she was previously with BT) and it
appears she now can't send mail via my authenticated SMTP at
gradwell.net.

Do Orange do something to port 25 or has something got misconfigured
during the change from BT to Orange?

--
Chris Green
Old May 8th 07, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Tue, 08 May 2007 16:25:54 +0100, wrote:

My daughter has Orange ADSL (she was previously with BT) and it
appears she now can't send mail via my authenticated SMTP at
gradwell.net.

Do Orange do something to port 25 or has something got misconfigured
during the change from BT to Orange?

Hi,

Back in the day when I used to work for Freeserve they had a port 25
intercept which directed all SMTP traffic via their mail servers, as far
as I know that hasn't changed.

Old May 8th 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

wrote in message
My daughter has Orange ADSL (she was previously with BT) and it
appears she now can't send mail via my authenticated SMTP at
gradwell.net.

Do Orange do something to port 25 or has something got misconfigured
during the change from BT to Orange?

--
Chris Green

Get them to run another instance of the mail server on port 26 or port
somethingelse.....

Old May 8th 07, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bob

On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:25:54 +0000, tinnews wrote:

My daughter has Orange ADSL (she was previously with BT) and it appears
she now can't send mail via my authenticated SMTP at gradwell.net.

Do Orange do something to port 25 or has something got misconfigured
during the change from BT to Orange?

Any half-way decent mail service will provide an alternate port. Try 587,
the official mail submission port, or ask them. If they support ssl
access, that will default to 465 and solve the problem also.
Old May 8th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message

at 17:24:54 on Tue, 8 May 2007, PlusNet Support Team
wrote
On Tue, 08 May 2007 16:25:54 +0100, wrote:

My daughter has Orange ADSL (she was previously with BT) and it
appears she now can't send mail via my authenticated SMTP at
gradwell.net.

Do Orange do something to port 25 or has something got misconfigured
during the change from BT to Orange?

Hi,

Back in the day when I used to work for Freeserve they had a port 25
intercept which directed all SMTP traffic via their mail servers, as
far as I know that hasn't changed.

Good job they don't block NNTP too then since they don't have a news
server any more

I bet you're glad you get out the sinking ship when you did hey?
--
Mike News
Old May 8th 07, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bob

On Tue, 08 May 2007 18:40:48 +0100, Mike wrote:

In message
at

Back in the day when I used to work for Freeserve they had a port 25
intercept which directed all SMTP traffic via their mail servers, as far
as I know that hasn't changed.

Good job they don't block NNTP too then since they don't have a news
server any more

I bet you're glad you get out the sinking ship when you did hey?

Blocking or diverting *outgoing* port 25 connections is a good thing.
It's a way of blocking or controlling spam from the huge number of
infected PCs that generate most spam these days.