Home Hub question

Old May 8th 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Default Home Hub question

I have mentioned this before on another thread but it most probably
got lost in the background noise.

Does the Home Hub phone work if you turn off the Wifi?

Now in the literature it is described as a dect type phone, but that's
not answering my question & I already have equipment in the right
place to fill my Wifi needs. Hence the reason to turn off the Wifi
inbuilt into the Home Hub...

Any takers?

Old May 8th 07, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Tue, 8 May 2007 17:11:09 +0100, "Kraftee"
wrote:

I have mentioned this before on another thread but it most probably
got lost in the background noise.

Does the Home Hub phone work if you turn off the Wifi?

Now in the literature it is described as a dect type phone, but that's
not answering my question & I already have equipment in the right
place to fill my Wifi needs. Hence the reason to turn off the Wifi
inbuilt into the Home Hub...

Any takers?

The simple answer is yes.
Old May 9th 07, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

wrote:

Does the Home Hub phone work if you turn off the Wifi?

It is three months since I installed my HH and then uninstalled
it for other operational reasons and got a BT voyager ata which as
provision to plug a BT line in and use a phone in the normal way now I
think the HH as a similar setup .
I suspect it will work but only as an ordinary phone but it certainly
will not work via the BT voip service like I said mine was put back in
its box within 24 hours of receiving it .

Sorry to contradict. I have a £5 tone phone from Argos plugged into the
hub's phone socket and it works perfectly as a voip phone on BT Talk. My
wifi is turned off.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old May 9th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

wrote in message
On Wed, 9 May 2007 09:04:10 +0100, "Keith Willcocks"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Does the Home Hub phone work if you turn off the Wifi?

It is three months since I installed my HH and then uninstalled
it for other operational reasons and got a BT voyager ata which as
provision to plug a BT line in and use a phone in the normal way now I
think the HH as a similar setup .
I suspect it will work but only as an ordinary phone but it certainly
will not work via the BT voip service like I said mine was put back in
its box within 24 hours of receiving it .

Sorry to contradict. I have a £5 tone phone from Argos plugged into the
hub's phone socket and it works perfectly as a voip phone on BT Talk.
My
wifi is turned off.

I think the guy was meaning could he use the hub phone with the HH
WiFi turned off I am sure the Phone that BT supply with the HH will
not work .

What I was meaning was that the Home Hub has a separate socket for a phone
as has your voyager. The socket is totally separate from the Hub Phone
connection and permits an ordinary phone to be used for VOIP calls, it is
not just as an ordinary phone. The WIFI bit was just chucked in as an
extra. I will ask on the dedicated BT Broadband newsgroup about whether
the Hub Phone will work with WIFI turned off and report back.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old May 9th 07, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote:

[...]

Ta for that, I know I can plug another phone in the back, but the deal
being offered is for the full monty (love to see how they're going to
get the cable from the TV actually the video on demand box underneath
the TV to be precise) to the router, but that's BT global's problem
not to be worried about by a lowly Openreach employee...

Old May 9th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote:

I have mentioned this before on another thread but it most probably
got lost in the background noise.

Does the Home Hub phone work if you turn off the Wifi?

Now in the literature it is described as a dect type phone, but
that's not answering my question & I already have equipment in the
right place to fill my Wifi needs. Hence the reason to turn off
the Wifi inbuilt into the Home Hub...

Any takers?

The simple answer is yes.

I thought it should but you know how BT loves to cloud the picture.

It's like my Laptop, every time I turn on the GPRS it imediately tells
me that there are no Wifi connections available, this is depsite the
fact that the wifi is turned off, so I wouldn't be to suprised if
turning off the Wifi did infact turn of the DECT as well.

Have to check my emails tomorrow see if the invite has landed yet..

Old May 9th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nacional

wrote:

I have mentioned this before on another thread but it most probably
got lost in the background noise.

Does the Home Hub phone work if you turn off the Wifi?

Now in the literature it is described as a dect type phone, but
that's not answering my question & I already have equipment in the
right place to fill my Wifi needs. Hence the reason to turn off
the Wifi inbuilt into the Home Hub...

Any takers?

The simple answer is yes.

I thought it should but you know how BT loves to cloud the picture.

It's like my Laptop, every time I turn on the GPRS it imediately tells me
that there are no Wifi connections available, this is depsite the fact
that the wifi is turned off, so I wouldn't be to suprised if turning off
the Wifi did infact turn of the DECT as well.

Have to check my emails tomorrow see if the invite has landed yet..

In the setup for the hub, it says the following if wireless is turned off :

* After changing these settings, any devices connected to your BT Home Hub
wirelessly(including BT Fusion handsets) will stop working. If you change
the network name you will need to reconnect to the BT Home Hub using the
instructions provided with your devices.

Old May 9th 07, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

nacional wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Looks like I'll be using a seperate phone then as I'm not going to
rely on the Home Hub for my Wifi connections, such as they are...

Old May 9th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Kraftee" wrote in message

Ta for that, I know I can plug another phone in the back, but the deal
being offered is for the full monty (love to see how they're going to get
the cable from the TV actually the video on demand box underneath the TV
to be precise) to the router, but that's BT global's problem not to be
worried about by a lowly Openreach employee...

Easy - the router is moved to the back of the TV using Sky telephone
extension wiring if it exists. Extension provided if required. Ethernet from
HH to V-Box. Wireless from HH back to existing PC.

HTH, Ali (lowly BTGS employee...)

Old May 10th 07, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Zomaar wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in message

Ta for that, I know I can plug another phone in the back, but the
deal being offered is for the full monty (love to see how they're
going to get the cable from the TV actually the video on demand
box underneath the TV to be precise) to the router, but that's BT
global's problem not to be worried about by a lowly Openreach
employee...

Easy - the router is moved to the back of the TV using Sky telephone
extension wiring if it exists. Extension provided if required.
Ethernet from HH to V-Box. Wireless from HH back to existing PC.

HTH, Ali (lowly BTGS employee...)

Argh, but the distance between my TV & where the router has to be.

I can easily sort it but will the BT global (?) engineer really want
to do it. Yet to see any of them get their hands dirty & will they
actually have any Cat5 leads long enough.

Oh & by the way your idea of putting the router on the sky extension
is a no brainer....Got a faceplate filtter (which was actually bought
not of the back of my wagon) so it won't work & they'd just have to
run a cat5 lead back for there onto the network anyway. Got to make
them earn their money.... I know I have to!