voip - would this do ?

Old May 8th 07, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
igdirect

Default voip - would this do ?

I want to do VOIP and have a SB4100 cable modem with virgin media.
Would I be thinking that the device below is all the additional
hardware that I need as it has a router built in, and implies that
you can connect this to both the cable modem and the RJ45 on the PC ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VoIP-Phone...m#requirements

Ian

Old May 8th 07, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon Farmer

igdirect wrote:
I want to do VOIP and have a SB4100 cable modem with virgin media.
Would I be thinking that the device below is all the additional
hardware that I need as it has a router built in, and implies that
you can connect this to both the cable modem and the RJ45 on the PC ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VoIP-Phone...m#requirements

If you only have need for one PC/device other than the ATA to connect to
to your cable modem then yes. However I can't comment on the quality of
this ATA.

Regards

Jon
Old May 9th 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 08 May 2007 22:56:17 +0100, Jon Farmer
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VoIP-Phone...m#requirements

Have you read the conditions for the bid?
" Bidder must be signed up with a freespeech full access account prior
to bidding on this unit."
I wouldn't touch this. If you want to do voip then do it properly.
When I last checked the tariffs from 'freespeech' they didn't seem all
that good. If you just need to run one PC and want voip check out the
SPA-3102 from broadbandstuff.co.uk or, if you want to run more than
one PC go for one of the Fritzbox - try www.broadbandstuf.co.uk or
Froogle.
My advice: Just don't tie yourself in with a single operator that you
know little about when you can do far better elsewhere.
You'll find more detailed advice available from this group if you ask
for it.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 9th 07, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VoIP-Phone...m#requirements

Have you read the conditions for the bid?
" Bidder must be signed up with a freespeech full access account prior
to bidding on this unit."
I wouldn't touch this. If you want to do voip then do it properly.
When I last checked the tariffs from 'freespeech' they didn't seem all
that good. If you just need to run one PC and want voip check out the
SPA-3102 from broadbandstuff.co.uk or, if you want to run more than
one PC go for one of the Fritzbox - try www.broadbandstuf.co.uk or
Froogle.
My advice: Just don't tie yourself in with a single operator that you
know little about when you can do far better elsewhere.
You'll find more detailed advice available from this group if you ask
for it.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Hi,

I think you may have slightly mis-understood / mis-read this.

"*Freespeech offer Terms & Conditions:
Bidder must be signed up with a freespeech full access account prior to
bidding on this unit.
Voucher will be sent via email only to your confirmed registered freespeech
email address only.
One voucher per user only."

I.e. if you want their extra promotional free 10 credit for the freespech
service, then you have to be a registered user of that service before
purchasing to get this promotional freebie extra.

I.e. I don't believe / understand that this has anything to do with the
device itself. It is essentially a Grandstream 486 "clone" as I understand
and allows full configuration to do anything you want with it.

However, they do seem a bit "rich" with their prices to me. Others offer a
WLAN ADSL router with full VoIP funcionatliy for 20! ??

But basically I understand that the OP is correct - this device should do
all they need.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old May 10th 07, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
igdirect

in the end folks, I have decided to go with a Netgear TA612V. I only
have a single PC at home, with no plans to no plans to expand.
Hopefully I can wave goodbye to Telewest line rental.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VoIP-Phone...-Router-PSTN-L...

Old May 11th 07, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 10 May 2007 14:37:00 -0700, igdirect wrote:

in the end folks, I have decided to go with a Netgear TA612V. I only
have a single PC at home, with no plans to no plans to expand.
Hopefully I can wave goodbye to Telewest line rental.

Hope it wasn't locked to Sipgate.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 11th 07, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
igdirect

only for the first 2 months it is !!! quite a painless set-up
really - got it going and registered in about 30 minutes and making
calls. cost about 50 inc. P&P so whilst not bargain prices seen at
Staples a few months back, should do for time being -

Ian