Download speed problems

Old May 8th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gavsko

Default Download speed problems

Can anyone help.

Over the past 4 years I have been connecting to the net via a 512K
broadband line running through a Netgear DSL Modem Internet Gateway
DG814 from a G4 apple Mac running OSX. Not the fastest line in the
world agreed, but reliable and suitable for all my needs.

A month ago I lost my connection to the net. After a lot of farting
about by my ISP they informed me that changes at their end meant I
should change my Multiplexing Method from LLC based to VC-based. This
did indeed make my connection 'live' again but with one difference.
Whereas I was getting a download speed of 45-54kbps I was now only
getting 15-18kbps. My ISP checked the line and reported no faults and
have in fact increased the bandwidth to 2mb. However I am still only
getting 15-18kbps. I've rebooted, unplugged, reset all to no avail.
I've been around a number of download sites (adobe, apple Microsoft)
testing the download speed on random available downloads and still get
15-18kbps.

Speedtest.net reports that my line has a bandwidth of 1541kbps (2mb),
my router recognises that the line is 2mb but I'm getting nothing near
that. My ISP has told me I may need to change the router but I'm not
convinced. Would this change to VC-based require some further changes
to settings that the ISP is not aware of?

Any advice greatly appreciated