wireless router

Old May 9th 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
meandyou

Default wireless router

Can anyone recommend a decent wireless router (for three pcs) that's easy to
set up and with a range that will allow working in each room of an average
three bedroom 2 storey house?
thanks

Old May 9th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
80/20

On 9 May, 16:23, "meandyou" wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent wireless router (for three pcs) that's easy to
set up and with a range that will allow working in each room of an average
three bedroom 2 storey house?
thanks

I've got a Netgear DG834G v2 attached to my main PC and then have
laptops connected via wireless using Netgear WG111 v2 aerials.

The set up works throughout a 3 bed semi and I can connect at reduced
signal strength (good instead of very good) in my shed at the top of
my garden some 25 metres away and through 4 brick walls.

It was easy to set up once I had visited this site
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...ar-dg834g.html.

Amazon have the Netgear DG834G v2 advertised at 47.11.

There are newer versions that I can't comment on.

Old May 9th 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"meandyou" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent wireless router (for three pcs) that's easy
to set up and with a range that will allow working in each room of an
average three bedroom 2 storey house?
thanks

I've got a Linksys WAG54GS wireless router on BT Total Broadband ADSL MAX
(up to 8Mb) and it works brilliantly, both wired and wireless - highly
recommended.

John
PS make sure to flash it to the latest firmware version (currently 1.00.12)

Old May 9th 07, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Count de Monet

meandyou wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent wireless router (for three pcs) that's easy to
set up and with a range that will allow working in each room of an average
three bedroom 2 storey house?
thanks

My experience:

Linksys WAG54G

Had one of these for a couple of years. Rock solid, only had to re-start
a couple of times until the power adaptor gave out. After reading up and
getting a few recommendation's I replaced the Linksys with a.........

Netgear DG834PN Rangemax Router and two WPN311 Rangemax wireless PCI
adaptors.

Worst mistake I have ever made. I have to re-start the router on average
four or five timed a week because of various issues (mainly DNS) I have
flashed the firmware to the latest version with no effect and done
everything Netgear support suggest, also the configuration software
supplied with the wireless adaptors crashes Windows on two separate
machines even though the latest version is installed forcing me to use WZC.

Anyone want to buy some Netgear kit!!!!!!!!! (BTW I'm being sarcastic)

My 2p worth

Old May 10th 07, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Summers

John wrote:

"meandyou" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent wireless router (for three pcs) that's easy
to set up and with a range that will allow working in each room of an
average three bedroom 2 storey house?
thanks

I've got a Linksys WAG54GS wireless router on BT Total Broadband ADSL MAX
(up to 8Mb) and it works brilliantly, both wired and wireless - highly
recommended.

John
PS make sure to flash it to the latest firmware version (currently 1.00.12)

It's now at version 1.01.something now, which I've found to be even better
than 1.00.12. (Config pages access quicker and it disables the security
button on the front)

Definitely a good router. Was available from Morgan for around 30ukp a couple
of weeks ago.

Rob

Old May 10th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Rob Summers" wrote in message
John wrote:

"meandyou" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, cheers Rob. Hadn't realised that - I'll get it tomorrow.

John.

Old May 10th 07, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

Count de Monet wrote:

meandyou wrote:
[...]

Strange - I've set up a 4 or 5 of these routers and they've always worked well.
I've not used the PCI adapters though, just the USB rangemax sticks, so maybe the
issue is with the PCI cards?

--

Andrew Sayers