Tesco ADSL connection dropping Help?

Old May 9th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnP

Default Tesco ADSL connection dropping Help?

I have Tesco broadband 1Mbps. Running through a Belkin MIMO wireless router.

The connections keeps dropping, and the only way to get it back is to lift
the handset of the phone and dial a number. As soon as you do this, the
connection returns.

There are no patterns appearing as to when the connection will drop.
Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours. I have tried plugging in the router
directly to the test socket in the BT master socket, no difference. Also
tried same with Speedtouch modem that Tesco supplied. Again no difference.
BT have tested the line for voice faults, non found.

According to the Router, Noise Margin Downstream 29.5dB, Upstream 15.0dB.

So I am now having to face the prospect of forking out for a premium rate
call to Tesco support.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

JohnP.

Old May 9th 07, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:23:11 GMT, "JohnP" mused:

I have Tesco broadband 1Mbps. Running through a Belkin MIMO wireless router.

The connections keeps dropping, and the only way to get it back is to lift
the handset of the phone and dial a number. As soon as you do this, the
connection returns.

There are no patterns appearing as to when the connection will drop.
Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours. I have tried plugging in the router
directly to the test socket in the BT master socket, no difference. Also
tried same with Speedtouch modem that Tesco supplied. Again no difference.
BT have tested the line for voice faults, non found.

According to the Router, Noise Margin Downstream 29.5dB, Upstream 15.0dB.

So I am now having to face the prospect of forking out for a premium rate
call to Tesco support.

Anyone have any ideas?

When you have it in the test socket is the router the only thing
plugged into it? If not, do you have a microfilter fitted, and have
you tried substituting it? Have you tried a different phone?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 9th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:23:11 GMT, "JohnP" mused:

I have Tesco broadband 1Mbps. Running through a Belkin MIMO wireless
router.

The connections keeps dropping, and the only way to get it back is to lift
the handset of the phone and dial a number. As soon as you do this, the
connection returns.

Are you sure that it's necessary to dial a number? Is it perhaps that
lifting the handset is sufficient to force the router to renegotiate the
connection, which of course takes time?

--
Graham

Old May 9th 07, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 9-May-2007, "Graham" wrote:

The connections keeps dropping, and the only way to get it back is to lift
the handset of the phone and dial a number. As soon as you do this, the
connection returns.

Dialing one or more digits removes dialtone, suggesting
that the voice/ADSL filtering might not be up to scratch.
I'd try another microfilter.
If you are on a long line then sync might be marginal
your routers stats/log should give you some figures.
Old May 10th 07, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnP

I have removed all secondary equipment from line. Have tried four different
filters. You don't actually have to dial a number, just lifting the receiver
is enough to make the router re-connect. But I have the same problem with
the speedtouch adsl modem that tesco supplied. So it can't be the router.

JohnP.

Old May 10th 07, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:31:24 GMT, "JohnP" mused:

wrote in message
.. .

On 9-May-2007, "Graham" wrote:

[...]

plugged into it? I'm assuming not as you still say you lift a handset.
Old May 10th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnP

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:31:24 GMT, "JohnP" mused:

wrote in message
.. .

On 9-May-2007, "Graham" wrote:

[...]

When it's just the router plugged in on its own, it won't connect at all.

JohnP.

Old May 10th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:46:21 GMT, "JohnP" mused:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:31:24 GMT, "JohnP" mused:

wrote in message
.. .

On 9-May-2007, "Graham" wrote:

[...]

Well, if you say you've tested this with 2 modems then it's time to
call Tesco\BT and get one of them to send someone to fix your line.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 10th 07, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"JohnP" wrote in message
I have removed all secondary equipment from line. Have tried four different
filters. You don't actually have to dial a number, just lifting the
receiver
is enough to make the router re-connect. But I have the same problem with
the speedtouch adsl modem that tesco supplied. So it can't be the router.

OK let's summarise:

1) You have unscrewed the lower half faceplate of the BT master socket and
removed it.

2) There is no extension wiring whatever connected to the remaining part of
the master socket.

3) You plug the microfilter into the test socket thereby exposed.

4) You have tried (a) a different router; (b) different microfilters, (c) a
different phone.

In all cases the ADSL connection drops when the phone is lifted, regardless
of whether this is to make an outgoing call or to answer an incoming call.

If all this is true, you have a fault on the BT line. Others will speculate
about what it is. The correct resolution is to inform your ISP who will in
turn inform BT who will send out a technician who ought to be able to solve
the problem.

If your ISP is BT this will be immeasureably more complicated.

My recommendation is that you should first change to a reputable ISP (such
as Zen), who will apply pressure to BT to attend.

I have exactly this problem with Demon at present. Demon have accepted that
the fault is with BT, but BT have not yet rung me to make an appointment to
visit the site.

--
Graham J

Old May 10th 07, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

JohnP wrote:
I have removed all secondary equipment from line. Have tried four
different filters. You don't actually have to dial a number, just
lifting the receiver is enough to make the router re-connect. But I
have the same problem with the speedtouch adsl modem that tesco
supplied. So it can't be the router.

JohnP.

Classic sympton of a HR (high Resistant) connection, your line will
test ok if you get BT to check & I'm afraid that you're going to have
to make that premium rate call in order to get a DSL trained Openreach
engineer on site to investigate as you've proved it outside your home.

One thing, when you do phone up Tesco make sure that you do all your
testing (at their request) with the modem/router which there supply or
else they'll just fob you off saying that they can't help until you do
(or blame the 'non standard') equipment you are using. Yes ISPs can
be that shortsighted...