New To ADSL Broadband

Old May 9th 07, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default New To ADSL Broadband

Sorry if this not the right place to ask this but I'm wrecking my head
trying to get a answer from using the net, less I am doing something
wrong in my search.

At the moment I am with virgin media and want to change to Be for
internet and some one like talk talk for the phone, sadly I dont have a
BT line installed. ( was one when I moved in 4 years ago but it was
removed by BT )

What I need to know is, can I order a BT line install and pay the line
rental only or will BT only install the line if I take one of their call
plans like option 1 ? My idea was to order the BT line and pay the line
rental then use talk talk for the call plan and the line rental.

If I have to take BT's option 1 will that snooker my changing to talk talk ?

Thanks for reading this.
Old May 9th 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Martin wrote:
Sorry if this not the right place to ask this but I'm wrecking my head
trying to get a answer from using the net, less I am doing something
wrong in my search.

At the moment I am with virgin media and want to change to Be for
internet and some one like talk talk for the phone, sadly I dont have
a BT line installed. ( was one when I moved in 4 years ago but it was
removed by BT )

What I need to know is, can I order a BT line install and pay the line
rental only or will BT only install the line if I take one of their
call plans like option 1 ? My idea was to order the BT line and pay
the line rental then use talk talk for the call plan and the line
rental.
If I have to take BT's option 1 will that snooker my changing to talk
talk ?
Thanks for reading this.

The basic line rental from BT is with Option 1, you can't get any lower
than this. (Except LUS but you can't have ADSL, mobile etc).

You need to keep line rental with BT for 12 months before you can move
it away or pay a high buy out fee.

You'd be better off keeping line rental with BT go on paper-less billing
pay by direct debit for 10.75 per month, sign up to free Caller
Display# via www.bt.com/btprivacy and then use Primus Saver 2* for no
extra monthly fee and get evening and weekend landline calls for free
(each call up to 90 mins).

Then also use Call 18185 for most other calls, such as daytime landline
calls for 5p per call, calls to mobiles for 2p/min weekends and 6p/min
weekdays and international calls from 0.5p/min

* Primus is a Carrier Pre-Select service calls are automatically sent
over this carrier. Unlike BT and TalkTalk Primus bill per second and
don't use a connection charge. Primus - www.planet-talk.co.uk/saver

Call 18185 is a Indirect access service, pre-fix calls with 18185 for
calls to go via this carrier (18185 has no monthly fee).

You can order a CPS service as soon as you have the line, takes about 10
days to switch over the calls.
Takes around 10 mins for the 18185 service to become active, though wise
to sign up using your mobile number then add your landline as the system
may say your area is over-subscribed.

#2 calls per month need to be made over BT for this service to remain
free, simply dial 1280 before a call if you are CPS'd to Primus for
example.

As your BT line rental includes Option 1, you can simply take advantage
of the option 1 service when you are CPS'd to someone else by dialling
1280 before the call.

See also:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...74&postcount=4

Win Amazon Vouchers:
http://www.wabbadabba.com/join.aspx?friend=4I9Q6C6X3477

#2 calls per month need to be made over BT for this service to remain
free, simply dial 1280 before a call if you are CPS'd to Primus for
example.

As your BT line rental includes Option 1, you can simply take advantage
of the option 1 service when you are CPS'd to someone else by dialling
1280 before the call.

See also:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...74&postcount=4

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post,got more info from you than
I did through most of the day searching the net ! I will save your reply
and go over it tomorrow. I thought I had it worked out for just the line
rental and maybe option 1 but had no idea I could use a prefix first so
thats a great tip.

I had considered bulldog as they can install a line and provide phone
and internet but I had a experiance of bulldog last year when a mate
ordered bulldog, 3 months later he still had no line or service, only
when he cancelled it did they manage to promise and install date :-(

With all the reading I am doing on this I realise one good thing about
the old telewest, cable went in, phone and net went on and that was it,
no faffing about, sadly its all changed now, internet costs too much for
what I am getting compared to adsl and the fact I am just under 2 km
from my local exchange and the TW phone is not competitive anymore.

thanks again for your help,
Old May 10th 07, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Martin wrote:

Sorry if this not the right place to ask this but I'm wrecking my head
trying to get a answer from using the net, less I am doing something
wrong in my search.

At the moment I am with virgin media and want to change to Be for
internet and some one like talk talk for the phone, sadly I dont have a
BT line installed. ( was one when I moved in 4 years ago but it was
removed by BT )

The line should still be there. BT certainly don't go to the bother of
*removing* lines ! What makes you think it has been ? Have you actually talked
to them about re-instating service ?

Graham

Old May 10th 07, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Martin wrote:

internet costs too much for what I am getting compared to adsl

Curious. I'm just moving to Virgin from an ADSL connection because it's a huge
saving.

Have you told Virgin you're going to move ? They have a habit of offering a
better rpice.

Graham

Old May 10th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Eeyore wrote:

The line should still be there. BT certainly don't go to the bother of
*removing* lines ! What makes you think it has been ? Have you actually talked
to them about re-instating service ?

Graham

It does sound strange that BT removed the line but they did, when they
connected up the house next to me they chopped it off, I thought I was
seeing things when I came home but I have a photo of the front of the
house when I moved here and the phone line was there ! All thats there
now is the line thats tacked to the wall from the gutter.

To Eeyore,

I did speak to someone I was offered a package for 35 quid for life inc
the TV but I know from posts I have read elsewhere that this offer does
not always last. besides I get my Tv via sky. The woman I spoke to about
cancelling did not even know about the limits imposed on their internet
services, she said it was unlimited.

I hardly use the phone during the day, but I do use the internet that is
shared with 3 computers, it is real easy to trip the traffic shaping. I
think I download just over the 750mb limit quite often. I will go with
Be for the net as its the same price as Virgin but I may get a bit more
then 4mb if I do its a bonus and so far they have assured me there is no
limits, in fact I have email from them saying my estimated amount of
downloads is nothing to worry about. Even if, just say, they brought in
the same level of traffic management at some point in the future that VM
have, I would still get around 3 to 5mb connection, thats better than
the 2mb I will get from VM for the same price.

I do have other issues with VM since the change over from telewest the
service and connection problems I have now are awfull, when it was
telewest I can say I had no problems at all, in 5 years I can recall
lossing my service once and that was through a power outage.

Anyway I have got an date for the BT line and using the advice I read
here in answer to my original post I should be ok as far as the phone
costs go, I hate changing anything as it often brings some problems but
I would have done this in January but a mix of 'wait and see' and 'I
cant be bothered to sort out new providers' sort of put me off moving,
now this traffic management is in force with VM its just the kick in the
pants I needed to try someting different for the same price. In practice
I cant see me saving much money, 41 with BT + Be compared to 43.25
with VM but it will give me the choice of using a prefix for calls on BT
and hopefully I will get a little more download speed from Be, meaning I
dont have to leave the PC on overnight or when I am not at home during
the day, I suppose I may save a little on the electric bill :-)
Old May 10th 07, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"Martin" wrote in message
. uk...

The woman I spoke to about cancelling did not even know about the
limits imposed on their internet services, she said it was unlimited.

That is true, some of them don't know.
Here's a funny one that someone posted.

spoke to VM CS and the girl I got put through to kept rabbiting on about
how the limit would only be enforced if I downloaded 1,400 mp3's
I don't wan't to DL mp3's I told her, I want to be able to use websites
that have good quality video content and download some TV shows.
She said that if I was downloading TV shows like lost, heroes, etc this
wouldn't count towards my download cap. When I told her an HD lost
episode can be over 4gb she said "thats ok as long as you don't download
more than 1,400 mp3's. Bloody screwball.

Old May 10th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

JoGlen wrote:

What I need to know is, can I order a BT line install and pay the line
rental only or will BT only install the line if I take one of their call
plans like option 1 ? My idea was to order the BT line and pay the line
rental then use talk talk for the call plan and the line rental.

I'm pretty certain you can't have Be's ADSL service (I'm with them)
and have another teleco running the voice line. You can of course have
another teleco that you use for voice by adding a prefix to the number
you're dialing - as has been said.

In short if you want Be then it HAS to be a BT retail line.

Personally I wouldn't choose Be but that's another story.

Be confirmed today that I have to have a BT line, I dont have much
choice in providers where I live as my local exchange only offers:

Be
Orange
TalkTalk
Sky
Bulldog

( Info from http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ex...hp?ecode=LVHUY )

After reading up on each and personal experiance with bulldog I chose Be
not sure if I am right on this but Be appears to be the only provider
that does ADSL2 in my area, bulldog say they cant offer me the 16mb
service and I cant get any sense from orange and have read thier live
box can be a nightmare to use.

I am however interested in your reasons not to use Be ? I thought I had
read most of the good and bad points about them but am wondering if I
missed something !

Old May 10th 07, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"Martin" wrote in message
.uk...

Be confirmed today that I have to have a BT line, I dont have much
choice in providers where I live as my local exchange only offers:

Be
Orange
TalkTalk
Sky
Bulldog

( Info from http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ex...hp?ecode=LVHUY )

After reading up on each and personal experiance with bulldog I chose
Be not sure if I am right on this but Be appears to be the only
provider that does ADSL2 in my area, bulldog say they cant offer me
the 16mb service and I cant get any sense from orange and have read
thier live box can be a nightmare to use.

I am however interested in your reasons not to use Be ? I thought I
had read most of the good and bad points about them but am wondering
if I missed something !

I would advise against Orange.
I had them, and left after they took over from Wanadoo.
Awful service...
I'm with BE now, and would highly recommend them.