GPRS/3G broadband.

Old May 10th 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default GPRS/3G broadband.

Hello everybody.

I've just been reading about GPRS/3G broadband-like services offered
by t-mobile and virgin. Have u got any experience on urself? What
other providers are available? What about transfers? What about
download limit, etc.? Would appreciate any suggestions. Is it worthy
of getting for 20 quids a month?

Cheers,
Peter

Old May 10th 07, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

GPRs is akin to 56k modem so is not broadband.

3G services are still very patchy and you will need to ensure that you

Seems they cover my area with 3G. Though been trying to figure out,
whether normal mobile phones provide modems that benefit from their 3G/
HSDPA services .... Eventually, if I went for their voice plan +
web'n'walk, should I get myself a PCMCIA 3G card from e-bay? Will it
let me work by putting a SIM from t-mobile into it? I've called t-
mobile crew and was informed that I can get either phone or card, but
both of them. If u have any experience with these things, let me know
what I can expect from that solution ...

are in an area that supports 3G for your chosen provider.
Seehttp://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?t=20743for a set of
links to each provider's coverage maps.

Old May 10th 07, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Henson

In article . com,
says...
GPRs is akin to 56k modem so is not broadband.

3G services are still very patchy and you will need to ensure that you

Seems they cover my area with 3G. Though been trying to figure out,
whether normal mobile phones provide modems that benefit from their 3G/
HSDPA services .... Eventually, if I went for their voice plan +
web'n'walk, should I get myself a PCMCIA 3G card from e-bay? Will it
let me work by putting a SIM from t-mobile into it? I've called t-
mobile crew and was informed that I can get either phone or card, but
both of them. If u have any experience with these things, let me know
what I can expect from that solution ...

If you use the phone as a modem or a laptop card then technically you
need WnW plus as it isn't allowed on the base level WnW. That doesn't
mean it is actually blocked or charged just that they don't like you
doing it and might slow down the connection if you do. Though no one has
ever reported being "caught".

If the phone supports 3G and HSPDA then you can use it as a modem anyway
(via data cable or bluetooth) and there isn't much point in getting a
laptop card as well.

It was possible to use WnW on their SIM only deals which would make it
only 20 a month for WnW plus with a 3GB limit. I do that with the older
WnW Pro add on, which is alas no longer available.

Steve.
Old May 10th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

If you use the phone as a modem or a laptop card then technically you
need WnW plus as it isn't allowed on the base level WnW.

Whoa What's WnW plus and how is it related with 3G. Why do I need
it? Is that an initializm standing from Wideband Networking Waveform?

That doesn't mean it is actually blocked or charged just that they don't like you
doing it and might slow down the connection if you do. Though no one has
ever reported being "caught".

So WnW is good enough?

It was possible to use WnW on their SIM only deals which would make it
only 20 a month for WnW plus with a 3GB limit. I do that with the older
WnW Pro add on, which is alas no longer available.

3G limit? Now I'm lost again ;p Would u elaborate on that topic bit
more. What service should I search for in order to use that WnW?

Thx in advance for the explanations.