Cannot connect desktop PC to router but laptop can connect

Old May 11th 07, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
405 TD Estate

Default Cannot connect desktop PC to router but laptop can connect

My desktop PC refuses to connect to the router when I type in the
routers set-up address eg http://gateway.2wire.net into MS explorer.

I have tried all 3 types of available connection and none of them
allow me to connect to the set-up page i.e USB network cable and
wireless. When connected they all show (in the control panel - network
settings) that they are connected and working correctly. I can
'repair' each connection OK but this doesn't fix the problem. The
connections appear in the LAN and high speed internet section - same
as my laptop.

I can use internet explorer to connect via a dial up modem OK but it
doesn't seem to recognise the LAN connections - just says I am working
offline and do I want to try a dial up connection.

It seems as if the LAN connection is just not recognised by IE?

Also via my laptop I can access shared files on my desktop PC (done
via wireless) so the connection and wireless USB pen obviously work.

Thanks for your help this is driving me nuts!

Also tried it in safe mode - no luck.

Perhaps uninstall norton security (it's already turned off as is the
windows firewall) ?

Old May 11th 07, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

First - open a command window. On XP this is Start | Run - type CMD - then
click OK

Then type IPCONFIG /ALL

You should see a long report including the IP address of your computer, and
the IP address of the Default Gateway - this is the address of the router.
Note this address carefully.

Now type PING address of router

Do you get replies? If so, you have a good connection to the router.

Now open Internet Explorer. Wait for it to fail to show whatever its home
web page is. Now on the menu bar, click on Tools | Internet Options - and
find the Connections tab. Select the option "never dial a connection".
This will ensure that it doesn't try to connect using the modem. OK out of
this and look under the File menu. Do you see "Work Offline" is ticked?
Untick it.

Now type in the IP address of the router - the address you proved worked
with the PING command.

Tell us whether this shows the configuration page for the router.

--
Graham J

Old May 11th 07, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Graham wrote:
[...]

And, makes sure dhcp client services is enabled, and that you havent put any
manual settings in the ip configuration options. These are the most common
reasons for such a situation...

Gaz

Old May 14th 07, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
405 TD Estate

Got it working (at least can talk to the router) thanks to Graham's
reply - looks like it was as simple as IE being set to offline mode!!
I didn't know it did that (stupid thing!)

All the pings etc worked but could not access the router by typing in
the IP address - not that it matters as i could type the web type
address in which works (or is that what Graham meant)

Anyway thanks - now I'm just in the (bad) position of waiting for Talk
Talk to connect the internet - 1.5 months waiting already (not good)
they say this wednesday but after all the bad feedback of them on the
web (should have read it first) they do not look like a good
provider : (

Old May 14th 07, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
Got it working (at least can talk to the router) thanks to Graham's
reply - looks like it was as simple as IE being set to offline mode!!
I didn't know it did that (stupid thing!)

All the pings etc worked but could not access the router by typing in
the IP address - not that it matters as i could type the web type
address in which works (or is that what Graham meant)

[snip]

The reason for me suggesting the IP address is as follows: - it should
ALWAYS work. If you use the name - yours was http://gateway.2wire.net - you
rely on some mechanism to map the name to an IP address. There are any
number of ways this can be achieved, but if none of them are set up and
working properly then you won't get anywhere.

One mapping mechanism is probably provided by the program that the
manufacturer's CD installs - but this brings in all sorts of other rubbish
that is probably best avoided. A good rule of thumb when using a router is
NEVER to install any software that was supplied with the router - the tools
within windows (or a Mac) are sufficient to connect to the router and manage
it.

If IPCONFIG /ALL shows you that the IP address of the default gateway is
192.168.0.1 then you should type into the browser:

http://192.168.0.1/

You can probably miss out the http: but the // before the IP address is
sometimes necessary. If you find this doesn't work then I'm very suspicious
of your browser - or your typing !

-- Graham J

Old May 14th 07, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

For a 2wire router the IP address is usually http://192.168.1.254/
http:\\home also works and is easier to remember.

Nigel®
--
ê¿ê
Old May 14th 07, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Nigel" wrote in message

For a 2wire router the IP address is usually http://192.168.1.254/
http:\\home also works and is easier to remember.

My point being that you should not rely on memory or guesswork: the IPCONFIG
/ALL command will tell you the value that you need to know.

--
Graham J